MDSTMARY-L Archives

Archiver > MDSTMARY > 2010-07 > 1280331563

From: C Greenwell <>
Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] William Greenwell d. 30 Oct 1801
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:39:23 -0400
References: <914359.14812.qm@web50102.mail.re2.yahoo.com><005001cb215a$2692cfc0$73b86f40$@net><AANLkTimAXogEydNCr3HBKzYhJCaZi408VmjQ2VKTzupC@mail.gmail.com><BAD5DC12F8F14067899169E745958BA6@yourd0f670b45a><AANLkTinamExy_mmgFkX438wzW3ZdBl0is60RF8p5xzXU@mail.gmail.com><000001cb2351$675e5670$361b0350$@net><AANLkTin5oX4-J5WZNH_fg5KYcVKbuXYO6NJcrIZc7vxH@mail.gmail.com><005701cb28fb$1ae48f80$50adae80$@net><AANLkTilXNp75tNC_4Zf8jORiHaazYHU6nQzSSjFWCFXS@mail.gmail.com><007b01cb2915$13c80a00$3b581e00$@net><AANLkTikqGX03nV=ja2JeCi+EerN02b2prUb2BQNAWfV5@mail.gmail.com><006001cb2aa6$ecda7a70$c68f6f50$@net>
In-Reply-To: <006001cb2aa6$ecda7a70$c68f6f50$@net>

Hi Linda,

OK. I think I got it and for right now will accept that Peter
Spalding, Jr (Peter,Thomas,John). did have a son named Edward. I will
continue to look for additonal proof. Thanks for the insight on this
one.

Now to answer your questions below...

I do not think Mary Mooney was married to Edward Spalding. I believe
that she was married to Peter Spalding, Jr.

I have the will of Mary Spalding that you show as the will of Mary
Mooney Spalding who married Peter Spalding, Jr. Therefore I listed the
children in this will as the children of Peter Spalding, Jr.
Addtionally, I have one son of Peter Jr. not mentioned in the will and
that would be Thomas.

Now having said this, I believe that I may be wrong about this. In
Charlie's papers, he says that Mary Herbert married William Spalding
and this would be the William Jr. (William,Thomas,John).

"William Spalding of William died intestate in 1779 (Testamentary
Proc., St. Mary's County, M D 1777-1801). This record book survived
the fire when St. Mary's Co. Court House burned 8 Mar 1831. Although
the book is in private hands, a copy is on film and can be seen at the
St. M ary's Co. historical Society, Leonardtown, MD."

I have not found proof of this yet. I know that Mary Herbert was
single in 1761 when her mothers will was probated and distributions
made.

So, I now believe the will of Mary Spalding you show is really the
will of Mary Herbert, dau. Francis and Elizabeth, who married William
Spalding(William,Thomas,John). I come to that conclusion because the
Witness was George Fenwick, who married Mary's sister Jane, and based
on what Charlie Fenwick's papers say.

What do ya think?

Randy

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Linda Reno <> wrote:
> More proof in some cases is needed.  I've pieced together this family from a
> variety of sources, clues, etc.
> As you'll note from his will, Henry Spalding identifies himself as the son
> of Peter Spalding.
> Will of Henry Spalding (of Peter), St. Mary's Co., 11/1/1829-4/5/1830 (EJM
> #1, fol. 135).  Niece:  Jane Heard, the use of all of my estate during her
> life. To:  Jane Margaret Heard, daughter of Jane Heard, all of my estate
> after the death of her mother.  Executor:  Niece, Jane Heard. Witnesses:
> Thomas Spalding, Eleanor Walker.  NOTE: Francis Spalding, Jane Heard, and
> Teresa Greenfield, the nephew and nieces of Henry Spalding (of Peter) were
> present at the probate of his will and made no objection.  10/14/1830: Jane
> Heard renounced executorship of this will and recommended Thomas Spalding.
> 10/19/1830:  Thomas Spalding appeared as the Executor of this will. (St.
> Mary's County, Maryland Wills, 1821-1835 by Linda Davis Reno).
> Francis Spalding was the son of Edward Spalding, and is the nephew of Henry.
> 5/10/1983:  Letter from Charles Fenwick to Mrs. Thomas W. Jamison, III, 210
> Goodale Rd., Baltimore, MD 21212.
> My dear cousin, Eleanor:  Please give my best love to your mother Camille. I
> was living at Miss Mamie's when your mother married Charles Forman in 1931
> (I think).  I once asked my mother how she was related to Miss Mamie and she
> said that they were closer friends than relatives, but that the relationship
> was through the Floyds.  They attended school together at St. Joseph's in
> Emmitsburg.  When they married, they built their homes next to each other.
> Miss Mamie owned what she called the farm (her mother's home) near St.
> John's Church at Hollywood and my parents owned Hanover on Breton Bay.  Miss
> Mamie was also related to my father through the Spaldings.  Miss Mamie's
> grandfather was Edward Spalding, son of Edward Spalding.  My mother was a
> daughter of Sarah Maria Floyd,a dau. of Capt. William Floyd (a Capt. in the
> War of 1812).  Capt. Floyd was the son of Jesse Floyd and his third wife,
> Sarah Luckett, widow of William Rhodie Luckett of Charles Co., MD.  Sarah's
> maiden name is unknown to me.  Miss Mamie was a granddaughter of Capt.
> William's sister or half sister, Mary (Polly) Floyd who married Edward
> Spalding of Edward, 4/24/1819.  Jesse Floyd m. 4 times and it is difficult
> to figure which children belong to which wife.  The earliest record I can
> find of Jesse Floyd is when he witnessed the will of Robert Fenwick,
> 2/16/1774.
> Jane Spalding married Walter Heard, 19 Dec 1808.  She's called a niece in
> the will of Henry Spalding and her daughter, Jane Margaret Heard is also
> named.
> Teresa Spalding married George Greenfield, 20 Apr 1816.  She's named a
> niece.
> Comments on the family of Peter Spalding that you provided.  This according
> to what I have.
> Mary Mooney was married to _____Spalding before 1756 according to the will
> of her brother, Thomas Mooney.  How do you know it was Edward Spalding?
> As you know, there were too many Spaldings to shake a stick at, but some of
> the names you have listed appear to be the children of William Spalding.  I
> can't tell without dates.
> Notes on William Spalding:
> 8/1779:  William King comes into court and complains that sundry goods and
> chattles of William Spalding, dec'd have not been appraised in the estate.
> A citation was issued against Mary Spalding, admx. of the sd. William
> Spalding to show cause.  (Orphan Ct. Rec., Fenwick). NOTE that the will of
> Mary Spalding below names her daughter, Rebecca King.
> 2/1780:  William King vs. William Spalding's administrators.  Judgement
> against petitioner for secreting the effects of the dec'd.  Ambrose Carr,
> William Hancock, John Edley, and Henry Spalding sworn.  (Orphan Ct. Rec.,
> Fenwick).
> Here's the will of Mary Spalding, who I have as the widow of William.  I
> don't believe she was Mary Mooney.
> Will of Mary Spalding, St. Mary's Co., 9/10/1788-3/10/1789.  Son:  Henry
> Spalding, my still, handmill, and crosscut saw.  Son:  Philip Spalding, a
> negro child named Mary, one pewter dish and two plates.  Daughter:  Mary
> Spalding (widow), five pounds current money of this State to be paid to her
> yearly as long as she lives single and no longer.  Daughter:  Martha
> Spalding, a negro woman named Ally; a negro boy named Moses; one desk; a
> feather bed and furniture; my great chest; my best pair of fire tongs; a
> mare and side saddle; a cart and cart gun; three of my best chairs; one
> decanter teapot; a sugar pot and sauce bowl; two silver spoons; two hoes;
> one axe; and one plow.
> Daughter:  Mary Ann Spalding, a negro child named Suck and four pewter
> plates.  Daughter:  Jane Spalding, five shillings current money and one pair
> of fire tongs.  Daughter:  Dorothy Benfield, five shillings current money.
> Daughter:  Rebecca King, five shillings current money.  Granddaughter:  Ann
> Spalding, one cow and calf.  To:  The priest who buries me, 20 shillings.
> My negro woman named Peg and her youngest child named Bett are to be sold to
> pay the legacies I have given in money.  Daughter:  Martha Spalding, the
> balance of my estate.  Exec.:  Son, Henry Spalding.  Wit.:  George Fenwick.
> (St. Mary's County, Maryland Wills 1776-1791 by Linda Reno and Joann
> Humphries).
> I have removed the death date of Edward Spalding as before 1689.  I don't
> know when he died either.
> Linda Reno
> Descendants of William Spalding
> Generation No. 1
> 1.  WILLIAM1 SPALDING was born Bef. 1734 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died
> Bef. Aug 1779 in St. Mary's Co., MD.  He married MARY Bef. 1754 in St.
> Mary's Co., MD.  She was born Bef. 1739 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died 1789
> in St. Mary's Co., MD.
> Children of WILLIAM SPALDING and MARY are:
> 2.      i.      DOROTHY2 SPALDING, b. Bef. 1755, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
> 1788.
>        ii.     REBECCA SPALDING, b. Bef. 1764, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
> 1787; m. WILLIAM KING, Bef. 1779, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. Bef. 1759, St.
> Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1780.
>        iii.    BERNARD SPALDING, b. Bef. 1767, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
> 1787.
>        iv.     HENRY SPALDING, b. Bef. 1767, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
> 1787.
>        v.      PHILIP SPALDING, b. Bef. 1767, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
> 1787.
>        vi.     MARTHA SPALDING, b. Bef. 1772, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
> 1787.
>        vii.    MARY SPALDING, b. Bef. 1772, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
> 1787; m. SPALDING, Bef. 1787, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. Bef. 1768, St. Mary's
> Co., MD; d. Bef. 1788, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>        viii.   JANE SPALDING, b. Bef. 1779, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
> 1787.
>        ix.     MARY ANN SPALDING, b. Bef. 1779, St. Mary's Co., MD.
> Generation No. 2
> 2.  DOROTHY2 SPALDING (WILLIAM1) was born Bef. 1755 in St. Mary's Co., MD,
> and died Aft. 1788.  She married SAMUEL BENFIELD Bef. 1770 in St. Mary's
> Co., MD.  He was born Bef. 1749, and died Aft. 1790 in Montgomery Co., MD.
> Child of DOROTHY SPALDING and SAMUEL BENFIELD is:
>        i.      MARY ANN3 BENFIELD, b. 1770, St. Mary's Co., MD.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:]
> On Behalf Of C Greenwell
> Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 2:46 PM
> Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] William Greenwell d. 30 Oct 1801
> Hi Linda,
> I finally got to this one and have a question....
> I do not have a son named Edward for Peter Spalding.  This is why I
> had asked about this in a previous thread.
> Here is my list for Peter:
> Peter Spalding b.1720, St. Mary's County,MD; d. ??
> Marriage 1 Mary MOONEY b.??
> Children
>  Henry SPALDING
>  Philip SPALDING
>  John SPALDING
>  Mary SPALDING
>  Martha SPALDING
>  Mary Ann SPALDING
>  Jane SPALDING
>  Dorothy SPALDING
>  Rebecca SPALDING
>  Thomas SPALDING
> Am I wrong here? Can you show me what you have for Peter Spalding?
> Also, I have the birth date for Chales Clement Spalding as 22 Dec
> 1822, White Plains, St. Mary's County, MD. Source: Family Records.
> Randy
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Linda Reno <> wrote:
>> I overlooked the McCully question.
>> This was Mary Anna Elizabeth Spalding, daughter of Edward Spalding, Jr.
> (d.
>> 1846) and Mary "Polly" Floyd, who married Clinton McCully.  Edward Leo
>> Spalding was her brother.
>> Will of Mary Spalding, SMC, 8/26/1873-9/9/1873.  Son: Edward Leo, a star
>> quilt with a red border; Son: Charles Clement, one single bed and
> bedstead;
>> Son: James B., 6 silver teaspoons; Dau.: Anna Elizabeth McCully, residue
> of
>> estate and Exec.  Wit: Dr. A. Jack Spalding, Joseph W. Goldsborough.
>> (Abstracted by Linda Reno).
>> Descendants of Edward Spalding, Jr.
>> Generation No. 1
>> 1.  EDWARD6 SPALDING, JR.  (EDWARD5, PETER4, PETER3, THOMAS2, JOHN
>> (THOMAS)1) was born Bef. 1787 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died 19 Jul 1846
> in
>> St. Mary's Co., MD.  He married MARY "POLLY" FLOYD 25 Apr 1819 in St.
> Mary's
>> Co., MD, daughter of JESSE FLOYD and ELIZABETH TAYLOR.  She was born 1787
> in
>> St. Mary's Co., MD, and died 1873 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>> Children of EDWARD SPALDING and MARY FLOYD are:
>>        i.      EDWARD LEO7 SPALDING, b. 1820, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 05
> Aug
>> 1874, Baltimore, MD.
>>        ii.     CHARLES CLEMENT SPALDING, b. 1822, St. Mary's Co., MD; d.
> 19
>> Apr 1879, Westminster, Carroll Co., MD; m. (1) SOPHIA KERR LEEDS LEIGH, 06
>> Dec 1847, Frederick Co., MD; b. 1825, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 30 Jan 1862,
>> St. Mary's Co., MD; m. (2) CHARLOTTE LEIGH, 10 Jun 1867, St. Peter's RCC,
>> Baltimore, MD; b. 1829, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 04 Jan 1894, Westminster,
> MD.
>>        iii.    JAMES B. SPALDING, b. 1825, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Bet.
> 1882
>> - 1900, St. Mary's Co., MD; m. JANE ANN MATTINGLY, 13 Feb 1855, St. Mary's
>> Co., MD; b. Oct 1835, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 23 Apr 1923, "Sotterley",
>> Hollywood, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>        iv.     MARY ANNA ELIZABETH SPALDING, b. 31 May 1828, St. Mary's
>> Co., MD; d. 21 Feb 1894, "The Hermitage", St. Mary's Co., MD; m. CLINTON
>> MCCULLY, 16 May 1860, RCC, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. 12 Nov 1823, OH; d. 13
> Jan
>> 1871, Howard Co., MD.
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [mailto:]
>> On Behalf Of C Greenwell
>> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:18 PM
>> To:
>> Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] William Greenwell d. 30 Oct 1801
>> Hi Linda,
>> Thanks.  Good stuff.  This closes a few loop holes I had. Glad I could
>> actually be some help to you since I am always quizing your knowledge.
>> Another one I have during the same time period is Edward Brewer who
>> married Teresia Greenwell? 24 May 1821. I am trying to figure out how
>> these 2 are connected to Wilfred and Sarah Greenwell and Pius.  In the
>> deed, JH9-443, dated 18 April 1833, Pius and these 2 sell land to
>> Edward Spalding.  This land was part of the land holdings of Wilfred
>> and this transaction occurred shortly after the death of Sarah as Pius
>> and Samuel Greenwell were distributing their mothers property. This
>> leads me to believe that they are some how related to Sarah and Pius.
>> While Samuel was the administrator for Sarah's will, it was Pius who
>> was involved in most of the land transactions after her death.
>> There was a Trustee sale of the same property in 1877, when Ann E.
>> McCully, I believe she is the daughter of  Edward Leo Spalding who
>> married Clinton McCully in 1860, sold the land.  I have this from the
>> Beacon showing the individuals involved:
>> McCully, Anna E.; Spalding, James B.; Greenwell, Pius; Brewer, Edward;
>> Spalding, Edward; Hear's Friendship (Farm); Two Friends (Farm);
>> Briscoe, David S.
>> Any idea how Edward Brewer and Tersia are related to this bunch?
>> Thanks
>> Randy
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Linda Reno <> wrote:
>>> Randy,
>>> Thanks for the deed references.  Very helpful.  There were obviously two
>>> daughters.  It's repeated several times in the deed from William H.
> Dorsey
>>> and his wife, Rose Anna to them.  My guess would be that Ann Mary died
>> after
>>> that time and before 1850.  I had Ann Maria, but had placed her with the
>>> wrong family.  In 1880, she was living in the home of Frederick Pilkerton
>>> and his wife, Sarah Ann Peacock.  She was listed as a cousin and I jumped
>> to
>>> the conclusion that she was the daughter of John T. Dorsey who married
>>> Matilda Peacock, June 26, 1830.  She was a cousin but via Sarah Marthena
>>> Greenwell (dau. of Wilfred), wife of Philip Peacock (parents of Matilda
>>> Peacock).  Right church, wrong pew.
>>> William Henry Dorsey was married three times.  He m. second, Ann Maria
>>> Burroughs, widow of Ignatius Drury and third, Georgeanna Greenfield who
> m.
>>> second, Anselm Nelson Dyer.
>>> 1849-05-21; Paper: The Sun.  On the 7th instant by Rev. Mr. Clark,
> William
>>> H. Dorsey to Mrs. Ann M. Drury, both of St. Mary's Co. (St. Mary's papers
>>> please copy).  (Courtesy, Tom Jennings).
>>> 1850, 16th Ward, Baltimore:
>>> William H. Dorsey, 40, shoemaker
>>> Ann M. Dorsey, 29
>>> Ann M. Dorsey, 14
>>> Ellen A. Dorsey, 6
>>> Ann M. E. V. Dorsey, 2 mos. (b. June or July--LDR)
>>> William J. Drury, 5
>>>
>>> No idea where Ann Maria was in 1860 or 1870--couldn't find her.
>>> Descendants of William Henry Dorsey
>> married
>>> (3) GEORGEANNA GREENFIELD 15 Feb 1871 in St. Mary's Co., MD, daughter of
>>> JOHN GREENFIELD and TERESA GATTON.  She was born 1853 in St. Mary's Co.,
>> MD,
>>> and died Aft. 1877.
>>> Children of WILLIAM DORSEY and ROSE GREENWELL are:
>>>        i.      ANN MARIA2 DORSEY, b. 1836, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
>>> 1880, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>        ii.     ANN MARY DORSEY, b. Bet. 1837 - 1842, St. Mary's Co., MD;
>> d.
>>> Bet. 1842 - 1850.
>>>        iii.    ELLEN AMANDA DORSEY, b. Mar 1844, St. Mary's Co., MD; d.
> 20
>>> Apr 1917, Mt. Hope Retreat, Baltimore, MD; m. THOMAS BARTHOLOMEW ABELL,
> 10
>>> Jun 1867, St. John's RCC, Hollywood, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. 1832, St.
>> Mary's
>>> Co., MD; d. 18 Nov 1894, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>> Children of WILLIAM DORSEY and ANN BURROUGHS are:
>>>        iv.     ANN MARY E.2 DORSEY, b. Apr 1852, St. Mary's Co., MD; d.
>>> Aft. 1905; m. JOSEPH URIAH RALEY, 26 Oct 1868, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. 12
>> Dec
>>> 1845, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 22 Mar 1905, Medley's Neck, St. Mary's Co.,
>> MD.
>>>        v.      WILLIAM GEORGE OLIVER DORSEY, b. 10 Jan 1853, St. Mary's
>>> Co., MD; d. Aft. 1860.
>>>        vi.     JOSEPH DORSEY, b. 1862, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1870.
>>>        vii.    ROSA DORSEY, b. 1865, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1870.
>>> Child of WILLIAM DORSEY and GEORGEANNA GREENFIELD is:
>>>        viii.   PETER2 DORSEY, b. 1872, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1880.
>>> Linda Reno
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From:
> [mailto:]
>>> On Behalf Of C Greenwell
>>> Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:28 PM
>>> To:
>>> Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] William Greenwell d. 30 Oct 1801
>>> Hi Linda,
>>> In the deed, JH12-414, April 1842, William Henry Dorsey and his wife
>>> Rose Ann give Farthings Adventure to their 2 daughters.  This property
>>> was initially deeded to Thomas Greenwell then to Wilfred Greenwell and
>>> after the death of Sarah, the wife of Wilfred, to William H. Dorsey
>>> and Rose Ann Greenwell, his wife. So, I am sure this deed does in fact
>>> pertain to Rose Ann, the dau. of Wilfred and Sarah.
>>>
>>> In any case, the deed says that the land is being given to Ann Maria
>>> and Ann Mary Dorsey, daughters of William Henry Dorsey and Rose Ann
>>> his wife. Since William and Rose were married in 1832 and the deed is
>>> dated 1842, would these 2 not be but 10 years old. Or do I have their
>>> marriage date wrong? or perhaps one/both of them was married before?
>>> or maybe I have the wrong William Henry?
>>> Additionally, in the deed JAC2-267, dated 13 May 1867, Ann Maria
>>> Dorsey sells the same land to William H. Dorsey for $300.  I believe
>>> that this is her father but not sure because I have another William H.
>>> Dorsey floating arround in my data.
>>> And Finally, in the deed JAC5-287, 5 August 1871, William Henry Dorsey
>>> and Georgina, his wife, sell the same land to Albert Edelen.
>>> I have Ann Mary Dorsey born in 1836. I have not documented her.  I do
>>> not have any info on Ann Maria other than the deeds.  In fact I have
>>> wondered if the 2 gals aren't really the same person.
>>> So, you may wish to add these 2 ladies to your database as daugthers
>>> of WIlliam Henry and Rose Ann.  I have copies of all of these deeds as
>>> PDF files if you would like to review them.
>>> Do you know who Georgina, William Henry Dorsey's 2nd wife is mentioned
>>> in the deeds?
>>> Thanks
>>> Randy
>>> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Linda Reno <>
> wrote:
>>>> I have a few differences.
>>>>
>>>> I have Wilfred Greenwell, son of Thomas of Charles, not of Philip.
>>>> Will of Charles Greenwell, Sr., SMC, 3/19/1760- 3/24/1760.  Sons:
> Charles
>>>> and Thomas, "Farthing's Adventure".  Son: James, my dwelling plantation,
>>> 40
>>>> ac. and my pt. of "Locust Thicket"; bed and furniture, etc.  Son:
>>> Ignatius,
>>>> bed and furniture.  Son: Thomas, gun and pot.  Grandchildren: Mary Davis
>>> and
>>>> Joseph Davis, 10 shillings each.  My three last sons: Ignatius, Thomas
>> and
>>>> James, the remaining pt. of my estate.  Exec: Son, James.  Wit: Robert
>>>> Wimsatt, Rodolph Greenwell, Monica Greenwell. (Maryland Calendar of
>>> Wills).
>>>> Will of Thomas Greenwell, SMC, 11/23/1808-1/15/1810.  Daughter:  Lucy
>>>> Greenwell, a bed and furniture she lies on and one large pine chest.
>>  Son:
>>>> Wilfred Greenwell, the land where I now live called "Farthing's
>> Adventure"
>>>> and the rest of my personal estate.  Exec: Son, Wilfred.  Wit: John
>> Gerard
>>>> Wimsatt, William Williams, Andrew Greenwell.  (St. Mary's County,
>> Maryland
>>>> Wills, 1803-1820 by Linda Reno and Joann Humphries).
>>>> Wilfred Greenwell married Sarah ____ before 1797 and was deceased prior
>> to
>>>> 1820.  Neither he nor Sarah are listed as head of household in 1820, but
>>> by
>>>> then Samuel was of age.  (See census data below which I believe refers
> to
>>>> this family).  I have no idea when William Wilfred Greenwell was born,
> so
>>> he
>>>> could either be the boy under 10 or the one aged 10-16--I arbitrarily
>>> placed
>>>> him as an older boy.  I have no record of him after his mother's will.
>>>> Sarah died in 1831.  As you'll note, there was another child not named
> by
>>>> Mr. Fenwick--Pius Greenwell.  1820, 3rd Dist, Samuel Greenwell: 1M -10;
>> 1M
>>>> 10-16 (Wm. Wilfred); 1M 16-26 (Pius); 1M 16-26 (Samuel); 1F -10 (Sarah);
>>> 1F
>>>> 10-16 (Rose); 1F 16-26; 1F over 45 (Sarah); 0 slaves.
>>>> Will of Sarah Greenwell, 9/8/1825-9/7/1830.  Oldest son: Samuel
>> Greenwell,
>>>> $10 to be paid out of my undivided 1/3 pt. of my husband, Wilfred
>>>> Greenwell's estate.  Rest of my estate to my 3 youngest children,
>> Roseanna
>>>> Greenwell, Sarah Marthena Greenwell, and William Wilfred Greenwell.  To:
>>>> Priest at Newtown, money from sale of mare colt.  Exec: Son, Samuel.
>>  Wit:
>>>> Jo. Davis, Thomas I. Greenwell, Ignatius Abell.  9/7/1830.  Pius
>>> Greenwell,
>>>> son of Sarah Greenwell, made no objection to the probate of her will.
>>>  (St.
>>>> Mary's County, Maryland Wills, 1821-1835 by Linda Reno).
>>>> In addition, it wasn't Wilfred William Greenwell who married Mary Teresa
>>>> Ford.  She married William H. Greenwell, son of Henry Greenwell, Jr. and
>>>> Anastasia S. H. Greenwell (her maiden name).
>>>> Linda Reno
>>>> Descendants of Wilfred Greenwell
>>>> Generation No. 1
>>>>
>>>> 1.  WILFRED5 GREENWELL  (THOMAS4, CHARLES3, JAMES2, JOHN1) was born Bef.
>>>> 1766 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died Bef. 1820 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>  He
>>>> married SARAH Bef. 1796 in St. Mary's Co., MD.  She was born Bef. 1776
> in
>>>> St. Mary's Co., MD, and died 1831 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> Children of WILFRED GREENWELL and SARAH are:
>>>> 2.      i.      SAMUEL6 GREENWELL, b. 1797, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 21
> Sep
>>>> 1834, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> 3.      ii.     PIUS GREENWELL, b. 1804, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 28 Jan
>>> 1839,
>>>> St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> 4.      iii.    ROSE ANN GREENWELL, b. Bet. 1808 - 1810, St. Mary's Co.,
>>> MD;
>>>> d. Bet. 1844 - 1849, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> 5.      iv.     SARAH MARTHENA "SALLY" GREENWELL, b. 1810, St. Mary's
>> Co.,
>>>> MD; d. 23 Oct 1888, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>>        v.      WILLIAM WILFRED GREENWELL, b. Bef. 1811, St. Mary's Co.,
>>> MD;
>>>> d. Aft. 1825.
>>>> Generation No. 2
>>>> 2.  SAMUEL6 GREENWELL (WILFRED5, THOMAS4, CHARLES3, JAMES2, JOHN1) was
>>> born
>>>> 1797 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died 21 Sep 1834 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>  He
>>>> married SARAH DORSEY 23 Jul 1832 in St. Mary's Co., MD, daughter of
>>> WILLIAM
>>>> DORSEY and MARY NEWTON.  She was born 1804 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and
>> died
>>>> Feb 1870 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> Child of SAMUEL GREENWELL and SARAH DORSEY is:
>>>>        i.      MARY E.7 GREENWELL, b. 1834, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft.
>>>> 1850.
>>>> 3.  PIUS6 GREENWELL (WILFRED5, THOMAS4, CHARLES3, JAMES2, JOHN1) was
> born
>>>> 1804 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died 28 Jan 1839 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>  He
>>>> married ANN MARY WIMSATT 11 May 1836 in St. Mary's Co., MD, daughter of
>>> JOHN
>>>> WIMSATT and ELIZABETH WILLIAMS.  She was born 1808 in St. Mary's Co.,
> MD,
>>>> and died 09 Apr 1888 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> Children of PIUS GREENWELL and ANN WIMSATT are:
>>>>        i.      WILLIAM F.7 GREENWELL, b. 1836, St. Mary's Co., MD; d.
>> Aft.
>>>> 1850.
>>>>        ii.     JOHN G. GREENWELL, b. 1838, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Bet.
>>> 1879
>>>> - 1880, St. Mary's Co., MD; m. MARY ELLEN SPALDING, 04 Apr 1878, St.
>>>> Aloysius RCC, Leonardtown, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. Jan 1860, St. Mary's
>>> Co.,
>>>> MD; d. Aft. 1920, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> 4.  ROSE ANN6 GREENWELL (WILFRED5, THOMAS4, CHARLES3, JAMES2, JOHN1) was
>>>> born Bet. 1808 - 1810 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died Bet. 1844 - 1849
> in
>>>> St. Mary's Co., MD.  She married WILLIAM HENRY DORSEY 27 Oct 1832 in St.
>>>> Mary's Co., MD.  He was born 16 Oct 1808 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died
>>>> 1871 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> Child of ROSE GREENWELL and WILLIAM DORSEY is:
>>>>        i.      ELLEN AMANDA7 DORSEY, b. Mar 1844, St. Mary's Co., MD; d.
>>>> Aft. 1910; m. THOMAS BARTHOLOMEW ABELL, 10 Jun 1867, St. John's RCC,
>>>> Hollywood, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. 1832, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 18 Nov
>>> 1894,
>>>> St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> 5.  SARAH MARTHENA "SALLY"6 GREENWELL (WILFRED5, THOMAS4, CHARLES3,
>>> JAMES2,
>>>> JOHN1) was born 1810 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died 23 Oct 1888 in St.
>>>> Mary's Co., MD.  She married (1) PHILIP PEACOCK 24 Dec 1832 in St.
> Mary's
>>>> Co., MD, son of PAUL PEACOCK and DOROTHY MAGILL.  He was born Bet. 1807
> -
>>>> 1810 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died Bet. 1838 - 1840 in St. Mary's Co.,
>>> MD.
>>>> She married (2) EDWARD (EDWIN) CLARKE 18 Aug 1846 in St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>  He
>>>> was born May 1796 in St. Mary's Co., MD, and died 09 Aug 1853 in
>>>> Leonardtown, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> Children of SARAH GREENWELL and PHILIP PEACOCK are:
>>>>        i.      MARTHA ANN7 PEACOCK, b. Nov 1831, St. Mary's Co., MD; d.
>> 22
>>>> Sep 1915, St. Mary's Co., MD; m. IGNATIUS "NACE" BOHANON, 25 Nov 1856,
>> St.
>>>> Mary's Co., MD; b. 1834, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 05 May 1897, St.
> Inigoes,
>>>> St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>>        ii.     SARAH "SALLY" ANN PEACOCK, b. 1838, St. Mary's Co., MD;
> d.
>>>> Aft. 1880; m. FREDERICK PILKERTON, 01 Mar 1859, St. Mary's Co., MD; b.
>>> 1836,
>>>> St. Mary's Co., MD; d. Aft. 1880.
>>>>        iii.    MARY JANE PEACOCK, b. Feb 1838, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 27
>>>> Jun 1880, St. Mary's Co., MD; m. WILLIAM HILARY BROWN, 26 Dec 1855, St.
>>>> Mary's Co., MD; b. Apr 1830, St. Mary's Co., MD; d. 13 Apr 1906,
>>>> Leonardtown, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>> Children of SARAH GREENWELL and EDWARD CLARKE are:
>>>>        iv.     JAMES EDWARD (EDWIN)7 CLARKE, b. 1848, St. Mary's Co.,
> MD;
>>>> d. 19 Jan 1884, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>>        v.      GEORGEANNA "NANNIE" CLARKE, b. Jan 1849, St. Mary's Co.,
>>> MD;
>>>> d. Bet. 1900 - 1909, St. Mary's Co., MD; m. JAMES EDWIN F. JOY, 11 Jan
>>> 1883,
>>>> St. Aloysius RCC, Leonardtown, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. 11 Jan 1858, St.
>>>> Mary's Co., MD; d. 28 Jul 1930, St. Mary's Co., MD.
>>>>        vi.     BENJAMIN (BENEDICT) H. CLARKE, b. Dec 1850, St. Mary's
>> Co.,
>>>> MD; d. 18 Jan 1906, St. Mary's Co., MD; m. CAROLINE A. "CARRIE"
>> WILKINSON,
>>>> 08 Feb 1882, St. John's RCC, Hollywood, St. Mary's Co., MD; b. Mar 1862,
>>> St.
>>>> Mary's Co., MD; d. 08 Sep 1913, St. Mary's Hospital, Leonardtown, St.
>>> Mary's
>>>> Co., MD.
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From:
>> [mailto:]
>>>> On Behalf Of Thomas Jennings
>>>> Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 12:16 PM
>>>> To:
>>>> Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] William Greenwell d. 30 Oct 1801
>>>> Good morning list,
>>>>
>>>> I have lots of references but always as Wilfred.
>>>> ST. MARY'S COUNTY COURT,(Equity Papers)Dates: 1817 Accession No.:
>>> 19,731-14
>>>> ,MSA No.: C 1591-14 ,Location: 1/57/9/40 JH1 pp 128-131 (My abstract)
>>>> 17: John Aud , Exec. of John Aud vs. Joshua Watts. Estate of John Raley
>>>> 8/9/1815--John Aud filed a bill of complaint that as security for John
>>> Raley
>>>> who is now dec'd has been compelled to pay large sums of money which
>> debts
>>>> he now sets forth. and the alleged insolvency of John Raley arose from
>>> Raley
>>>> having conveyed to Joshua Watts certain land which were his property by
>>>> deed.
>>>> Exhibit: Lists of debts incurred:
>>>> Henry Forrest $68.72   Interest from 12/12/1806
>>>> Rosanna Abell, Adm. of Joseph Abell  $80.41     Interest from 12/16/1811
>>>> Clement Parsons & wife  $345   Interest from 11/26/1806
>>>> *Wilfred Greenwell, Adm    $166.37 Interest from 11/20/1806
>>>> *
>>>> Charlie Fenwick says Wilfred, son of Thomas of Philip, wed Sarah 1812
>> died
>>>> 1830-1836 and they had Samuel who wed Sarah Dorsey,, Roseanna wed Wm. H.
>>>> Dorsey,, Sarah Matthena who wed Philip Peacock and William Wilfred who
>> wed
>>>> Mary Teresa Ford 2/1857.
>>>>
>>>> Distributions of Raphael Greenwell 6/11/1786 by Elizabeth Fenwick, exec.
>>>>  wife receives 1/3, and part negroe Abraham "bequest to child when she
>> was
>>>> big with at dec'd death who is since dead" & 3 sons including
>>>> *Wilfred,*Henry & Cornelius.
>>>> Distributions of Raphael Greenwell 2/1/1786 names wife & 3 sons
> including
>>>> Wilfred, Henry & Cornelius.
>>>> Balance & Distributions of Raphael Greenwell, dec'd by Elizabeth
> Fenwick,
>>>> extx 6/11/1793
>>>> widow 1/3 plus part negro Abraham who was bequest to child she was big
>>> with
>>>> who is since dead.
>>>> residue 3 sons: Cornelius, Wilfred, Henry Greenwell
>>>>
>>>> Distributions of Joseph Bennet 9/25/1817 names dau. as Mary Bean.
>>>> 1805 Distribution by Wilfred, adm. of Cornelius Greenwell's estate
>>>> Adm. Accts 7/1806
>>>> NAME:   Thomas Greenwell   LIBER: JJ #3  FOLIO: 216
>>>> DATE OF WILL: 11/23/1808   DATE OF PROBATE: 1/15/1810
>>>> Daughter:   Lucy Greenwell, a bed and furniture she lies on and one
> large
>>>> pine chest.
>>>> Son:   Wilfred Greenwell, the land where I now live called  "Farthing's
>>>> Adventure" and the rest of my personal estate.
>>>> EXECUTOR(S):  Son,  Wilfred Greenwell
>>>> WITNESSES:   John Gerard Wimsatt,  William Williams,  Andrew Greenwell
>>>> ********
>>>> Tom Jennings
>>>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:38 AM, David Lee
>>>> <>wrote:
>>>>> Catholic Families Of Southern Maryland has in Baptism's of St. Francis
>>>>> Xavier has
>>>>> 16 Feb 1777 Wilford Greenwell of Rodulphus and Cloe
>>>>> ( all trees I found had Raphael but this is written record)
>>>>> Sponsors Joseph and Dorothy Stone
>>>>> ( in 1800 census SMC same page as Wilfred is Joseph Stone, Sr. over 46
>>>>> years)
>>>>> 1800 census St. Mary's Co., MD
>>>>> Wilfred Greenwell with
>>>>> Males                 Females
>>>>> 2 under 10          2 under 10
>>>>> 1 26-45              1 26-45
>>>>> Next door is Elizabeth Greenwell with
>>>>> Females 1 11-15, 1 16-25, 2 26-45, 1 over 46
>>>>>
>>>>> Wilford Greenwell married Mary Bennett 25 Jan 1806.
>>>>> 1810 Census St. Mary's Co., MD
>>>>> Wilford Greenwell with
>>>>> Males                    Females
>>>>> 1 under 10             3 under 10( these 4 Mary Bennett's?)
>>>>> 1 10-15                 1 10-15
>>>>> 1 16-25                 1 16-25
>>>>> 1 over 45               1 26-44 ( Mary Bennett?)
>>>>>
>>>>> On this same page is
>>>>> William Greenwell with 16 in household
>>>>> Athanatius Greenwell with  10 in household
>>>>> Justinian Greenwell with 7 in household
>>>>>
>>>>> I found a lot of different data in family trees & some submitted papers
>>>> but
>>>>> above is all I found documented for Wilfred/Wilford in MD.There are
>>>> in
>>>>> KY.
>>>>>    Dave
>>>>>  ----- Original Message -----
>>>>> From: "C Greenwell" <>
>>>>> To: <>
>>>>> Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 1:15 PM
>>>>> Subject: Re: [MDSTMARY] William Greenwell d. 30 Oct 1801
>>>>> Hi Linda,
>>>>>
>>>>> This is interesting.....If his name is really Wifred, which you make a
>>>>> good case for, then I wonder if his name would have been William
>>>>> Wifred Greenwell.
>>>>> I am researching Wilfred Greenwell, s/o Thomas and have found a number
>>>>> of instances where he was referred to as both Wifred and William in
>>>>> the same document. Additionally, he had a son named William Wilfred.
>>>>> I have been looking for Wilfred's grave site to see what the headstone
>>>>> says and have not had much luck yet.  One of my last remaining Aunts
>>>>> told me that there is a family burial site somewhere off of Brown road
>>>>> close to St. Johns road where he may be buried.
>>>>> Randy
>>>>> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Linda Reno <>
>>> wrote:
>>>>> > >From the book:
>>>>> >
>>>>> > "Fresh Pond Neck" is near Scotland P. O., St. Inigoes district, St.
>>>>> Mary's
>>>>> > county, Md., and about four miles from Miller's wharf. It is on the
>>> left
>>>>> > hand side of the road leading from the Pine to Point Lookout. Here
> the
>>>>> > In memory of Joseph Bennett who departed this life Aug 19th 1815,
> Aged
>>>> 62
>>>>> > years.
>>>>> > In memory of Susanna Bennett, who departed this life Feb 28 1806 aged
>>> 49
>>>>> > years.
>>>>> > To the memory of William Bennett, died May 10th 1816 aged 38 years.
>>>>> > To the memory of Ann Smith, who departed this life Jan 22nd 1814 in
>> the
>>>>> 36
>>>>> > year of her age.
>>>>> > In memory of Susanna Crane, wife of George Crane, who died Jan 18th
>>> 1839
>>>>> > aged 30 years.
>>>>> > In memory of Susan J. Crane, wife of George Crane, who departed this
>>>> life
>>>>> > Aug 22nd 1811, aged 36 years.
>>>>> > In memory of Jane R. Artis, who died February 9th 1856 aged 19 years.
>>>>> > In memory of Samuel Bean, who departed this life Jan 24th 1831 aged
> 42
>>>>> > years.
>>>>> > In memory of Mary Bean, born November 25 1788, died Nov 19th 1855.
>>>>> > In memory of William Greenwell died Octo 30th 1801.
>>>>> > (Historic graves of Maryland and the District of Columbia by Helen
>>>>> > Ridgley,
>>>>> > 1908).
>>>>> >
>>>>> > Everybody in this cemetery is connected to the Bennett family.
>>>>> >
>>>>> > I have no idea of what kind of shape the stones were in when they
> were
>>>>> > read
>>>>> > in 1908 or earlier, but I think William Greenwell is actually Wilfred
>>>>> > Greenwell who died October 30, 1810. The book on burials by the
>>>>> Historical
>>>>> > Society gives his name as Wilfred and also the date of death as
>> October
>>>>> > 30,
>>>>> > 1810--buried at Fresh Pond Neck.
>>>>> > Wilfred Greenwell, son of Raphael Greenwell and his first wife, Chloe
>>>>> > Tarlton, was born in 1777. He married Mary Bennett, daughter of
> Joseph
>>>>> > Bennett and Susanna Jones whose stones are listed above, January 29,
>>>>> 1806.
>>>>> > He acquired part of Fresh Pond Neck in 1806 from his father-in-law.
>>> Deed
>>>>> ]
>>>>> > On Behalf Of K Woodring
>>>>> > Sent: Monday, July 05, 2010 4:53 PM
>>>>> > To:
>>>>> > Subject: [MDSTMARY] William Greenwell d. 30 Oct 1801
>>>>> > List-
>>>>> > Cleaning up my dangling people...
>>>>> > Who is the William Greenwell buried in "Fresh Pond Neck" cemetery
>>>>> Scotland
>>>>> > PO, St. Ingoes, MD according the Ridgely's Historic Graves of MD
> p.43.
>>>>> > < , |/
>>>>> > < ' /|
>>>>> > Kat Woodring
>>>>> > -------------------------------
>>>>> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>>> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>>>> > quotes
>>>>> > in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>> > -------------------------------
>>>>> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>>> > with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>>>> > quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>>>> quotes
>>>>> in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>>>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>> -------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>> quotes
>>>> in the subject and the body of the message
>>>> -------------------------------
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message