MDWASHIN-L Archives

Archiver > MDWASHIN > 2004-09 > 1096243386

From: "Kim Myers" <>
Subject: Michael and Magdalena Myers - Washington Co MD - part 1
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:03:06 -0700

Seeking information on the ancestors, siblings and descendants of Michael
Myers, Sr. and Magdalena. Note this is a work in process, corrections or
additions would be greatly appreciated.

Generation No. 1

1. MICHAEL MYERS, SR. was born Abt. 1720 in , Frederick, Maryland, and died
Bef. 29 Oct 1785 in Sharpsburg, Washington, Maryland. He married MAGDALENA
Bet. 1750 - 1755 in , , Pennsylvania. She was born Abt. 1730 in , ,
Pennsylvania, and died Aft. 1803.

Notes for MICHAEL MYERS, SR.:
Land transaction - James Sprigg to Michael Myers 12 March 1770 part of
Addition to Piles
Delight for 921 1/2 acres

Will of Michael Meyer, made September 14, 1785, proved October 29, 1785,
Washington County, Maryland.

In the Name of God Amen I Michael Meyer of Sharpsburgh Washington County and
State of Maryland Being very Sick and Weak in body but of perfect mind and
memory Thanks be given to God Calling to mind the mortality of my body and
knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die do make and Ordain this
my last Will & Testament that is to say principally & first of all I give
and recommend my Soul unto the Almighty God who gave it to me and my body
unto the Earth to be buried in a decent Christian Burial at the discretion
of my Executors nothing doubting but at the General Resurection I shall
receive the same again by the Mighty power of God and as touching such
Worldly Estate as it has pleased God to bless me with in this Life I give
demise and dispose of the same in the following Manner and form

First I give and bequeath unto my beloved Wife Macdolany One Hundred acres
of Land of the Old place Beginning at the First line part of my Son Michael
Meyers Two Hundred acres during her natural life and at her death to be to
become to my Son Michael and also I give to my beloved Wife Magdalena my
House and lott in Sharpsburgh and all my Real Estate during her natural life
and at her Death it is my Will that the House & lott and all my real Estate
to be sold off and Equally divided between my nine Children as shall have
after be mentioned Except the Legacies hereafter mentioned and my son
Michael shall have the same privilege in my House in Sharpsburgh as my Wife

I give and bequeath unto my son Michael Meyer my old place containing two
Hundred Acres of Land Beginning at the first line with this reason that he
is to let his Mother have the use of One Hundred Acres thereof during her
natural life Also I give to my Son Michael One Bead and all belongings to it
and One Horse and my Stils and all the Utencils thereunto belonging.

I give and Bequeath unto my Son Jacob Meyer One Hundred and Eighty five
Acres of Land part of the Addition of Piles delight beginning at the Stone
at the end of the 60th line of Said Land he to have it After it is gaint by
Law during that time til it is out of law he shall pay Twenty five pounds
Yearly rent and if he is onwilling to pay it, it shall be rented to any one
as shal or will pay said rent and After said Land being out of dispute in
law it shall be valued by two Sufficient men and the one half thare of he is
to pay to my five Daughters in a Equal Share to each of them in four Years
After it is Valued in Yearly payments the Executor to set the payments

I give and Bequeath unto my son Adam Meyer One Hundred and Seventy two Acres
of Land part of Addition of Piles delight Beginning at the End of the First
line of Michael Meyers Join his part of said Land he to have it After it is
out of dispute in law during the time it is in law he shall pay Twenty five
pounds Yearly rent and if he being onwilling to pay it, it Shall be rented
to any one as will pay the Affs. rent and after said Land being out of
dispute in Law it shall be valued by two sufficient men and the one half of
what it is valued at he shall pay to my five Daughters in the Space of five
Years in an Equal like share to each of them in Yearly payments to be left
to the Executors to set the payments

I give and Bequeath unto my Son Fredok Meyer One Hundred and Eighty three
Acres of Land part of Piles delight Beginning at the end for Seventy five
perches on the 65th line of the Whole Tract he to have after it is out of
dispute in law and After said Land being out of dispute in law it shall be
valued by two Sufficient men and the one half of what it shall be Valued at
he shall pay my five Daughters in the Space of Six Years in an Equal like
Share to each of them in Yearly payments to be left to the Executors to set
the payments and if my son Frederick Meyer shall fall to short in his Land
that is to say if any of it shall be lost in Law and said Quanity of Land as
shall be taken from him shall be valued and he shall Receive as much more as
it is valued at for said Land out of the Estate

I give and Bequeath unto my Grand Children of my Daughter Sary Wife of Wm
Robertson all her share as she is to have out of my Estate with this reserve
if said Wm Robertson should die before my Daughter Sary she shall have her
due that is to say all her proportion of out my Estate and if she should die
before her husband it Shall be givin to her children as many as there is of
them in an Equal like share

I give and Bequeath unto my Daughter Barbara One Bed and Bedstead, One Cow,
6 Spoons, 6 plates, 10 dish and 1 Bason & 1 Spinning Wheal & 1 Iron Pot

Inpromises my Will is that all my real and Personal Estate Except the
Legacies above mentioned by Just debts and funeral Charges first paid be
givin to my Wife Sons and Daughters as above mentioned viz. Michael Meyer,
Jaco Meyer, Adam Meyer, Fredok Meyer, Sary wife of Wm Robertson her
children, Susa wife of Daniel Dinkel, Macdolaney wife of George Showman,
Elizabeth wife of Joseph Long and Barbara. And lastly I constitute and
appoint my Wife Macdolany & Daniel Dinkell to be the Executors of This my
last Will and Testamnt and I do hereby utterly dissolow revoke and dissanull
all and every other Testament Wills Legacies Bequests and Exeo by me in any
Wise before named Willed and Bequeathed Ratifying and Confirming this and no
other to be my last Will and Testament so Witness Whereof I have hereunto
set my hand and Seal This Forteenth day of September in the Year of Our Lord
Seventeen Hundred and Eighty Five
his
Signed Sealed published and Michael L Meyer (Seal)
declared by me this said Michael mark
Meyer as his last Will & Testament
in the presence of us who in his
presence and in the presence of
each other have
hereunto subscribed our Names
Henry Ackhart, David Miller, Jacob Barton
On the Back of the Original Will of this aforesaid Michael
Meyer are the following Indorsements to Wit

Washington County Oct 28th, 1785 Came Magdalena Meyer & Daniel Dingle & made
Oath that the Within Instrument of Writing is the True and whole Will &
Testament of Michael Meyer late of said County deceased that hath come to
their hands & possession & that they do not know of any Other At the same
time came Henry Ackhart, David Miller & Jacob Barton the three subscribing
Witnesses to the Within Last Will & Testament of Michael Meyer late of said
County deceased & Severally made Oath on the Holy Evangels of Almighty God
that they did see the Testator therein named Sign & Seal this Will that they
heard him publish pronounce & declare the same to be his last Will &
Testament that at the time of his so doing he was to the best of their
apprhensions of sound & disposing mind memory & understanding & that they
subscribed their names as Witnesses to this Will in the presence and at the
Request of the Testator

Recorded Oct 29, 1785
Certified by Thomas Pelt, Reg.

More About MICHAEL MYERS, SR.:
Fidelity Oath: 1778, , Washington, Maryland

Children of MICHAEL MYERS and MAGDALENA are:
2.i.JACOB MYERS, SR., b. Abt. 1751; d. 08 Jul 1821, , Washington,
Maryland.
3.ii.ADAM MYERS, SR., b. Bet. 1753 - 1755; d. 23 Sep 1829.
iii.FREDERICK MYERS, b. Abt. 1755; d. , Grainger, Tennessee; m. MARY
SHOWMAN, Abt. 1780, , Washington, Maryland; b. Abt. 1747.

Notes for FREDERICK MYERS:
In 1795 Daniel Dinkle sold land in Washington Co., MD to Frederick Meyer
(Book I, p. 425).

Frederick Moyer(s) is not on the 1799 tax list in Granger Co., TN, but that
year marks his first application for a house of public entertainment
(tavern) in Rutledge. He may have come that year. The license was renewed
several times in subsequentyears. In 1805 Frederick Moyers ("Moises") was
listed on the Grainger Co. tax listwith 400 acres of land, 1 free white poll
and 1 black poll. Another entry shows Frederick Moises with another 20
acres. His wife, Mary (listed as Mary Moyers, alias M. Showman) is listed
with 98 1/2 acres located next tot he property of Joseph Long. In 1809 he
is listed with 566 acres, 1 white poll and 2 black poll

In 1822 he has 346 acres, 0 white polls (probably indicative of his advanced
age) and 2 black polls. A history of Grainger Co. notes that Frederick
Moyers lived below Rutledge. In 1812 Grainger Co. court records mention "the
land of Frederick Moyers whereon Jacob Shawman now lives..."

An 1802 deed in Grainger Co. shows that he sold for $500 98 1/2 acres to
Mary Moyers. This parcel was about 1/3 of the 300 acres he bought from John
Horner. He also agreed to convey another third of the property to a Michael
Moyers. Michael Moyers then immediately transferred all right to that
parcel to Mary Moyers, alias Showman. Those two deeds, as well as one for
the purchase of two town lots in Rutledge, were all recorded on the same
day. There are various other land transactions, the last of them in 1828.

In 1810 Frederick Moyers served as bondsman for the marriage of his nephew
Jacob Long to Catherine Perry. Frederick's will, made 10 Jan 1829 and
proved 9 Oct 1829 mentions only his wife, Mary.

4.iv.MARY MAGDELENE MYERS, b. Abt. 1755, , Washington, Maryland; d. 22 Sep
1823, , Washington, Maryland.
v.SARAH MYERS, b. Abt. 1757, , Washington, Maryland; d. Aft. 1812; m.
WILLIAM ROBERTSON, Bef. 1785.
5.vi.SUSANNA MYERS, b. Abt. 1761, Washington, Maryland; d. Bet. 1785 -
1805, , Rockingham, Virginia.
6.vii.ELIZABETH MEYER, b. 23 Feb 1761, , Frederick, Maryland; d. 24 Sep
1843, Monroe Township, Washington, Indiana.
7.viii.BARBARA MYERS, b. 22 May 1762, , Washington, Maryland; d. 14 May
1825.
ix.MICHAEL MYERS, JR., b. Abt. 1767; d. Bet. Nov 1803 - 1805, ,
Washington, Maryland; m. CATHERINE.

Generation No. 2

2. JACOB MYERS, SR. (MICHAEL) was born Abt. 1751, and died 08 Jul 1821 in ,
Washington, Maryland. He married ELIZABETH MYERS.

More About JACOB MYERS, SR.:
Fidelity Oath: 1778, , Washington, Maryland
Will: 28 Jul 1821, C-141

Children of JACOB MYERS and ELIZABETH MYERS are:
i.MARY MYERS.
ii.JACOB MYERS, JR..
8.iii.ELIZABETH MYERS.
iv.SUSANNA MYERS, m. ABRAHAM HOFFMAN.
9.v.JOHN MYERS, b. Bet. 1774 - 1784, , Washington, Maryland.
10.vi.FREDERICK MYERS, b. 1779, , Washington, Maryland; d. 09 Dec 1837, ,
Washington, Maryland.

3. ADAM MYERS, SR. (MICHAEL) was born Bet. 1753 - 1755, and died 23 Sep
1829. He married ELIZABETH. She was born 22 Jan 1778, and died 22 Apr
1835.

More About ADAM MYERS, SR.:
Burial: Mount Calvary Lutheran Church Cemetery, Sharpsburg, Washington,
Maryland
Fidelity Oath: 1778, , Washington, Maryland
Will: 02 Oct 1829, Liber C, Folio 402

More About ELIZABETH:
Burial: Mount Calvary Lutheran Church Cemetery, Sharpsburg, Washington,
Maryland

Children of ADAM MYERS and ELIZABETH are:
i.MARY MYERS.
11.ii.ELIZABETH MYERS.
12.iii.ADAM MYERS, JR., b. Abt. 1801, , , Maryland; d. Aft. 1870.

4. MARY MAGDELENE MYERS (MICHAEL) was born Abt. 1755 in , Washington,
Maryland, and died 22 Sep 1823 in , Washington, Maryland. She married
GEORGE SHOWMAN, SR. Bet. 1775 - 1777 in , Washington, Maryland, son of JOHN
SHOWMAN and CATHERINE MYERS. He was born Abt. 1750 in , Washington,
Maryland, and died 20 May 1818 in Sharpsburg, Washington, Maryland.

Children of MARY MYERS and GEORGE SHOWMAN are:
13.i.GEORGE SHOWMAN, JR., b. 29 May 1774, Washington, Maryland.
14.ii.JOHN SHOWMAN, b. 1778, Washington, Maryland.
iii.JACOB SHOWMAN, b. 14 Jul 1783, Washington, Maryland; d. 1860; m. SARAH
GROVE, 11 Apr 1803, Washington, Maryland.
15.iv.ELIZABETH SHOWMAN, b. 1788.
16.v.DAVID C. SHOWMAN, b. 18 Oct 1789; d. 04 Mar 1858.
vi.JOHN SHOWMAN, b. 1791.
17.vii.PETER SHOWMAN, b. 1794; d. 1857.
viii.ELIZABETH ANN SHOWMAN, b. 1796; m. PHILIP KLINE, Nov 1816,
Washington, Maryland.
ix.CATHERINE SHOWMAN, b. Bet. 1796 - 1798.

5. SUSANNA MYERS (MICHAE1) was born Abt. 1761 in Washington, Maryland, and
died Bet. 1785 - 1805 in , Rockingham, Virginia. She married JOHANN DANIEL
DINKEL 1780 in , , Maryland, son of JOHANN DUNCKEL and MARIA HERMSDORF. He
was born 17 Jun 1741 in , York, Pennsylvania, and died 1812 in , York,
Pennsylvania.

Notes for SUSANNA MYERS:
Land Record, Washington County - Liber A page107-109

Daniel Dinkle of Frederick County, saddle tree maker, to William Jennings of
Washington County, weaver, for 100 pounds: house and lot in Jerusalem Town
(Funkstown), being lot 169 (24' x 231'). Terms of payment descirbed.
Witnesses: Joseph Sprigg, Samuel Hughes. Susanna Dinkle re. dower. 3
September 1777 recorded 26 November 1777.

More About JOHANN DANIEL DINKEL:
Occupation: Saddle tree maker

Children of SUSANNA MYERS and JOHANN DINKEL are:
i.HENRY TINKLE, b. Abt. 1765.
ii.DOROTHEA DINKEL, b. Abt. 1767.
iii.JOHN TINKLE, b. 18 Sep 1771.
18.iv.SUSANNAH TINKLE, b. 12 Jan 1804, Rockingham, Rockingham, Virginia.

6. ELIZABETH MEYER (MICHAEL MYERS, SR.) was born 23 Feb 1761 in ,
Frederick, Maryland, and died 24 Sep 1843 in Monroe Township, Washington,
Indiana. She married JOSEPH LONG 26 Oct 1784 in Lutheran Church,
Sharpsburg, Washington, Maryland, son of MARTIN LONG and AGNES. He was born
24 Oct 1761 in Sharpsburg, Frederick, Maryland, and died 09 Jul 1824 in ,
Washington, Indiana.

Notes for ELIZABETH MEYER:
Death:The newspaper article describing the S.A.R.'s placement of tombstones
on Elizabeth and Joseph's graves provides her date of death. It may have
appeared on the original tombstone.

Elisabeth Meyer and her husband, Joseph Long, are buried on their farm which
is located in the southwest quarter of Section 32 in Monroe Twp., Washington
Co., IN. The tombstones, placed there by the S.A.R. in 1982, are enclosed
by a fence.

More About ELIZABETH MEYER:
Burial: Monroe Township, Washington, Indiana

Children of ELIZABETH MEYER and JOSEPH LONG are:
i.MARGARET LONG, m. JOHN ALSTOTT, 04 Jan 1816.
ii.JOHN LONG, b. 24 Jul 1785.
19.iii.SARAH LONG, b. 12 Feb 1793, , , Maryland; d. Aft. 1850.

7. BARBARA MYERS (MICHAE1) was born 22 May 1762 in , Washington, Maryland,
and died 14 May 1825. She married HENRICH MIDDELKAUF Abt. 1794 in ,
Frederick, Maryland. He was born 18 Oct 1766, and died 13 Mar 1837.

More About BARBARA MYERS:
Burial: Zion Reformed Church Cemetery, Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland

More About HENRICH MIDDELKAUF:
Burial: Zion Reformed Church Cemetery, Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland
Occupation: Hatting business

Children of BARBARA MYERS and HENRICH MIDDELKAUF are:
i.SAMUEL MIDDLECALF, b. 14 Apr 1795, Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland.
ii.ANNA MARIA MIDDLECALF, b. 02 Aug 1796, Hagerstown, Washington,
Maryland.
iii.JACOB MIDDLECALF, b. 1798, Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland.
iv.DANIEL MIDDLECALF, b. 24 Aug 1800, Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland.
v.JOHAN ADAM MIDDLECALF, b. 05 Aug 1806, Hagerstown, Washington, Maryland.

This thread: