MEAGHER-L Archives

Archiver > MEAGHER > 2001-05 > 0990757201

From: Dan Kiley <>
Subject: Father Michael Meagher
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 20:20:01 -0600

Posted on: MEAGHER Queries
Reply Here: http://genconnect.rootsweb.com/gc/surnames/m/e/MEAGHER/queries/10015

Surname: MEAGHER, KEANE, KILEY, WALSH
-------------------------

I am searching for the birth place, parents and siblings of Father Michael
MEAGHER. Rev. MEAGHER was priest at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Ackley,
Hardin Co., Iowa when he died 25 July 1926 at St. Joseph's Mercy Hospital
in Mason City, Cerro Gordo County, Iowa.

In his obituary it states that he was born in March 1848 near Fethard,
Co. Tipperary, Ireland. Survivors: brother, Thomas MEAGHER, Philadelphia,
Pa. Sister, Mrs. KEANE (no whereabouts given). Brother, William living
in Ireland. He was preceded in death by a sister Bridget (Delia), Mrs.
Thomas KILEY (1859-24 Oct 1922). Bridget and her husband Thomas are buried
at St. Mark's, Iowa Falls, Hardin Co., Iowa. The couple had no children.

In a form he filled out himself in 1902 he listed his birth as 10 Feb 1848
at Parish Cloneen, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.

Rev. MEAGHER studied for the priesthood at 1.) Mt. Melleray Monestery,
Ireland, 2). All Hallows Seminary, Dublin, Ireland, 3.) St. John's College,
Waterford, Ireland, and 4.) St. Francis Seminary, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Michael MEAGHER was ordained in Dubuque, Iowa on 27 Dec 1874. He served
the following four assignments: 1.) Immaculate Conception, Charles City,
Floyd Co., Iowa, Jan 1875-July 1876, 2.) St. John's, Placid, Dubuque Co.,
Iowa, July 1876-Dec. 1877, 3.) St. Patrick's, Tama, Tama Co., Iowa, Dec.
1877-Oct. 1887, and 4.) St. Mary's, Ackley, Hardin Co., Iowa, Oct 1887-July
25, 1926.

Michael's sister Bridget married my g-grand father Philip James KILEY's
first cousin Thomas. Rev. MEAGHER was the officiating priest. Rev. MEAGHER
baptized and married most of Philip and Thomas' brothers and sisters, including
his own sister Bridget and Thomas. He also buried Thomas parents at St.
Mary's, Patrick KILEY (1 May 1832 - 12 Dec 1911) and Catheirne WALSH (1840
- 15 Jun 1874).

Rev. MEAGHER had a very distinguished career as a priest and I am looking
for more information about his history in Co. Tipperary, Ireland.

This thread: