MEPENOBS-L Archives

Archiver > MEPENOBS > 2006-12 > 1165738321

From: Janice R Freeman <>
Subject: [MEPENOBS] BURTON in Corinna 1900 - 1930
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 02:12:01 -0600

Am looking for descendants of my cousin,
Abbie / Abby B (Betsey?) PACKARD BURTON,
b abt 1855 Oxford Co, ME,
the d/o Stephen PACKARD and Louisa PENLEY.

I found her husband listed as A. M.? BURTON b abt 1849
on the 1880 Camden, Knox Co, ME Census where he was a
high school teacher. On all other Census records he is listed as
Augustus BURTON.

>From 1900 - 1930, I found the family in Corinna, Penobscot Co,
ME, though Augustus is missing aft 1910, thus assumed to have
died between 1910 and 1920.

They had at least 2 sons (though the 1900 Census shows Abbie
had 4 of 4 ch living - the 1880 Census is so light that it is almost
illegible): The ch in the 1880 Census are:
F Ervin 3 Son (Indexed F. Errin)
Ralph W 2 Son
No Name 4/12 Son Feb

The only poss match I could find for F Ervin b abt 1877
was Irving F BURTON in 1910 Brooks, Waldo Co, ME
where he was 33, mar for 7 years, teaching high school.

Ralph W was 21 in 1900, b Apr 1879.
Roy, indexed Koy H, was 11 in 1900, b Dec 1888.

Ralph W BURTON was in Worcester, MA in 1920
Roy H BURTON was in Worcester, MA in 1920

A grandson, Augustus M, b abt 1902 wass with Abbie
in 1910 and 1920.

I found 2 marriages for Ralph W BURTON:
Oct 1901 to Inez A FROST, both of Corinna
March 1911 Ralph W BURTON of Portland and
Agnes M COLBY of Topsham

I found 1 marriage for Roy H BURTON of Corinna:
June 1942 to Janice R MOORE of Bangor.

I found 3 marriages for Augustus M BURTON:
Aug 1924 to Velma B SKINNER, both of Corinna
Feb 1930 Augusus of Baileyville to Ora S BERRY of Calais, ME
They are on the 1930 Baileyville Census with ages of 28 and 20
Aug 1935 Augustus of Waterville to Hazel PICKARD of Skowhegan

I found
Death: Hazel M BURTON b 7 May 1899; d 21 June 1972;
age 73 Bangor; last residence Brewer

Can anyone tell me if these people that I have found are part of
Abbie B PACKARD BURTON's family ? Abbie's mother,
Louisa PENLEY, is part of my PENLEY family.

Most grateful for additions, corrections, and any help
in contacting living descendants.

Janice ROBBINS FREEMAN
PENLEY Family Researcher

This thread: