MIDLOTHIAN-L Archives

Archiver > MIDLOTHIAN > 2007-01 > 1168467212

From: Kevin and Jan Newcombe <>
Subject: Re: [MIDLOTHIAN] Davidson
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:13:32 +1300

Hello Trish
I can't connect at present. It needs chasing up I think. Both Stobhill and
Newbattle feature for us in Census.
1841 Census - Parish of Newbattle - Stobhill
Gardener Davidson (25) Coal Miner
Charlotte (28)
John (3), Elizabeth (2), Martha(1 month) - everyone born in Parish.
* also Joseph Davidson (17) Coalminer. He was a brother of Gardener
Davidson.

Neighbours - Brutnon, Nehman, Hamilton, Johnson, Currie

1851 Census - they shifted to Glasgow from where they went to Ballarat -
Gardner and his son John (12yrs) first in 1853 then Gardner went back to
collect the women in 1856. They settled in New Zealand on the West Coast in
1866. John went on to marry Barbara Morris and they lived in the Reefton.

I'll keep looking as it is strange that they come from the same areas in
Scotland.

Keep in touch and a happy New Year to you.

Jan