MIEATON-L Archives

Archiver > MIEATON > 2002-05 > 1022242981

From: Pam Burleson <>
Subject: Re: Brooks-Bradley
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 07:23:01 -0500

Oh my goodness, Mary Bradley Brooks was the sister of my GG Grandfather, Truman
Bradley. I never knew that story! Mary and Truman's Parents, James Dickinson
Bradley and Tirzah Lankton are buried at Spaulding Cemetery in Eaton Co. The
web site removed from the Familytree maker site was my Mom's. She removed it
because we found James' parentage questionable. We know for sure that James was
born either in MA or CT. He married Tirzah Lankton (I have her whole line) in
1820 in CT. The oldest son, Ira Dickinson Bradley was born there in 1821. They
moved to Whitestown, Oneida Co., NY before 1823 where they had 8 more children.
They came to Eaton Co. somewhere around 1846 and had 1 more child.
Was that transcription posted? If so, I missed it. Can someone send it to me?
Thanks!
Pam Burleson

wrote:

> MIEATON-D Digest Volume 02 : Issue 24
>
> Today's Topics:
> #1 Brooks murder in Eaton Co. Michiga ["Carol Thorpe" <>]
>
> Administrivia:
> To unsubscribe from MIEATON-D, send a message to
>

> that contains in the body of the message the command
>
> unsubscribe
>
> and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if your software
> requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.
>
> ______________________________

> Subject: Brooks murder in Eaton Co. Michigan (recap)
> Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 11:06:07 -0400
> From: "Carol Thorpe" <>
>
> i want to thank Mary Jean baker for finding the newspaper clippings and
> transcribing them. From them i some other clues, but then hit the preverbal
> brooks brick wall.
>
> Mary Brooks was born Mary Bradley April 24, 1832 in Oneida, NY. Her
> parents were James Bradley (who died in Eaton Co 1857) and Tirzah Lankton.
> Mary had 6 brothers and sisters who all lived in Eaton Co.
>
> In the early 1850s Mary Bradley married Simeon brooks. She had at least one
> child Edith, birthdate unknown, but who died in 1854. Her brother Joe
> married Fannie Melissa brooks in olivet, mi in 1853.
>
> On or about March 15 1856 Mary murdered her husband, i am assuming poison,
> because she mentions "the medicine."
>
> When she heard that her husband's body was going to be exhumed she panicked
> and wrote some letters to a gentleman friend Watson Woodruff to take tru
> (her brother Truman) and begged them to dig up her husband and hide his
> body.
>
> Mary H Brooks was sentenced to life in prison at Jackson who had facilities
> (of sorts) for women until the 1870s. Mary was pardoned by the governor in
> 1870 and returned to Eaton Co. In 1877 she married david Stuart. Mary died
> May 13, 1905 in Carmel Twp, Eaton Co and is buried in the West Carmel
> Cemetery.
>
> Since as far as i know, Mary was not survived by children, she is not the
> woman i am looking for. Can any Eaton co. brooks claim simeon and fannie
> Melissa?
>
> Most of the Bradley information i found at ancestry.com. The Bradley line
> goes way, way, way back to the tenth century.
>
> I found more at family tree maker - cached because the owner of the website
> had removed it from their server.
>
> I couldn't find anything on simeon (I was looking for men born after 1820 -
> if he was older i may have skipped him).
>
> Carol T
> upper Michigan

This thread: