MILLER-SE-L Archives

Archiver > MILLER-SE > 2006-06 > 1150469438

From: "Jan Dunham" <>
Subject: Re: [MILLER-SE] Re: "The Miller Records" - Charles Miller, Priscilla Lucas, SC
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:50:38 -0500

The Miller book is called: MILLER RECORDS and was written in 1954 about the Charles Miller Family from South Carolina.

The book starts with the immediate family of Charles and Priscilla (Lucas) Miller. The explanation for the book is that nothing much is known of the early life of Charles Miller but the life was given attention due to a letter by Gov. S. D. Miller (July 23, 1835) to their daughter (Mary) who later became the wife of Gen. James Chesnut. He said that the ancestor of the family landed in Boston and that the family came south to Lancaster, SC by way of Maryland.

Charles Miller's wife was Priscilla Lucas, daughter of John Lucas of Mass., according to the letter. They had 8 children - both he and his wife died about 1792.

Their children were (not in birth order):
a.. Ebenezer Miller - moved to Kentucky before 1690.
b.. Jerome Miller - died after 1786.
c.. Stephen Miller - m: Hannah Webb; died after 1789
d.. William Miller -
e.. Charles Miller Jr. - m: Margaret White
f.. Jesse Miller - m: Frances _____; living in Anson Co., NC as early as 1776
g.. Priscilla Miller - m: Andrew Kennedy; they moved to TN
h.. Elizabeth Miller - m: Theodorick Webb; d: by 1788 (in childbirth)
(note: my connection comes from Priscilla & Elizabeth - their descendants eventually married into the Erwin family)

Charles Miller, Jr.'s children were:
a.. William Miller - m: Catherine Foster
b.. Priscilla Miller - m: Wm. Hart (d. 1824 or 5)
c.. Charles Miller - m: Margaret Melette (b: 1776; d: 1822)
d.. Sarah Miller - m: John Porter (1 dtr)
e.. Hugh Miller - d: age 28
f.. John Lucas Miller - m: Mary Simpson Doby (b: 1795 - d: 1838)
g.. Margaret Mary Miller - m: James Moore Harris
h.. Stephen (Decatur) Miller - m: (1)Elizabeth Dick (2) Mary Boykin
Stephen Miller's children were:
a.. James Miller - m: (1) ?; (2) Mrs. Sarah (White) Doby
b.. Elizabeth Miller - m: (1) Abner Lowry; (2) Lemuel Alsobrook, Jr.
c.. Jane Miller - m: Moses White
d.. Mary Miller - m: (1) ___ Lowry; (2) James Johnson
e.. Ann Miller - m: John Gallant
The book has individual information for SOME OF THE CHILDREN ONLY of Charles & Priscilla.

Not every child was researched as the author was really just interested in the Charles Miller, Jr. family, but if you think your Miller has a tie to one of the above, I will email you with what the book has on that family.

Jan