MITUSCOL-L Archives

Archiver > MITUSCOL > 2004-06 > 1087898621

From: "Ley O'Connor" <>
Subject: re: Michigan Colony farm-- Thanx
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:03:41 -0700

Thanx to all who gave me some info regarding the Michigan Farm Colony. I
would have to assum as a stenographer and as a Carpenter the family was
there as workers and just happened to be able to purchase a home there as in
1930 the family also had relative from out of state living with them. They
also appear to be listed among the major workers as opposed to many of the
"rentfree appear to be boarders. Will have to see if there is a way to get
the film noted.

Ley

Researching Van Guilder from Allegany New York to Tuscola about 1850-1860.

Ley K O'Connor

Flying with an Angel on my shoulders, my Da and one at my feet, Katie
Scarlet

Join us for the 2004 True Crime Readers, Writers, and Photographer's
Conference
http://truecrimefanatic.com/true_crime_conference_writers_ph.htm

>Subject: MITUSCOL-D Digest V04 #19
>Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 03:04:03 -0600

>MITUSCOL-D DigestVolume 04 : Issue 19
>
>Today's Topics:
> #1 Michigan Farm Colony Indian Fields ["Ley O'Connor"
><]
> #2 Re: Michigan Farm Colony Indian Fi ["Concetta Franco"
><concetta.franco]
> #3 RE: Michigan Farm Colony Indian Fi ["gypsy" <>]
>
>Administrivia:
>To unsubscribe from MITUSCOL-D, send a message to
>

>that contains in the body of the message the command
>
> unsubscribe
>
>and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if your software
>requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.
>
>To contact the list administrator, send mail to
>.
>
>______________________________
>Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 01:43:57 -0700
>From: "Ley O'Connor" <>
>Subject: Michigan Farm Colony Indian Fields
>
>Does anyone have any information regarding what the Michigan Farm Colony in
>Indian Fields is and/or any other pertinent information about it.
>
>Some of my ancestors own property there, but the others that seem to work
>there are living rent free. This is in 1930.
>
>Thanx,
>
>Ley
>
>Ley K O'Connor
>

>Flying with an Angel on my shoulders, my Da and one at my feet, Katie
>Scarlet
>
>Join us for the 2004 True Crime Readers, Writers, and Photographer's
>Conference
>http://truecrimefanatic.com/true_crime_conference_writers_ph.htm

>Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up now 3 months FREE!
>http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
>
>______________________________
>Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 09:57:46 -0500
>From: "Concetta Franco" <>
>Subject: Re: Michigan Farm Colony Indian Fields
>
>Ley,
>
>The Michigan Farm Colony was a sort of home for epileptics, like the
>Homes for the Feeble Minded in the more western part of Michigan. There
>isn't much available on it, mainly because the records of the inmates
>are closed. Its referred to every so often, in such places as the Kent
>County Courts and Court Records page
>(http://www.rootsweb.com/~mikent/etten1926/court.html), the Government
>Documents Library at Michigan State
>University(http://www.lib.msu.edu/publ_ser/docs/staff/Manual/mitranlist.html),
>and the Social Work Library
>(http://www.lib.umich.edu/socwork/rescue/archive/era2.html).
>
>There was one that opened up early in Washtenaw County, but the Tuscola
>farm apparently opened during the "progressive" era, meaning sometime
>between 1910 and 1920. Good question how long it was open for.
>
>You'd probably be able to find some information on it at the Michigan
>State Archives/Michigan State Library. If your ancestors owned property
>there, they were probably some of the better off persons at the farm,
> [...]

Make the most of your family vacation with tips from the MSN Family Travel
Guide! http://dollar.msn.com

This thread: