MO-CW-L Archives

Archiver > MO-CW > 2005-11 > 1130957182

From: "Bill Morgan" <>
Subject: Re: [MO-CW] Slavery and Mr. Lincoln's despotism
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:46:22 -0600

With such a complete grasp of history, surely you know that slavery existed
in the North well after the Confederacy was forced to capitulate. Mr.
Lincoln's famed "Emancipation Proclamation" specifically limited freeing of
slaves to those states "in rebellion" against the United States. As the
Confederate states had already declared their independence he was merely
making another affront to the sovereignty of a people who had voted for
independence from federal despotism. Mr. Lincoln also suspended the right of
habeas corpus until overruled by the Supreme Court.

His famed proclamation specifically excluded the states of Maryland,
Tennessee and Delaware and slavery was not officially ended in Kentucky,
Missouri and Delaware until ratification of the 13th Amendment in December,
1865. Delaware was, in fact, the last state to end slavery.

Certainly you are also aware that much of the slave traffic came from the
North, with a booming slave market in Baltimore, for example. Many Yankee
brokers bought human chattel in the West Indies and brought them into
northern ports for sale.

The most unique thing about Missouri and Kansas was that the so-called
"civil war" started here about five years before the assault on Fort Sumter.
Federally instigated bandits and fanatics such as Jim Lane, Jim Montgomery
and John Brown organized gangs of armed ruffians to launch raids in
Missouri, ostensibly to combat slavery. The "Jayhawkers" and "border
ruffians," however, were seldom interested in whether or not a targeted
family owned slaves. If they had livestock or other valuables they were fair
game no matter how they stood on the issue of slavery.

The War of Northern Aggression, like most wars throughout history, was over
money and wealth. The Yankees wanted cheap cotton for their textile mills
and they wanted to recover what they paid for that cotton by taxing southern
cotton producers unmercifully. The powerful business interests of the
Northeast controlled the national government in the city of Washington and
used it to hold the South in firm control and near-poverty. Those same
businessmen abused their own workers and held them in what amounted to
economic slavery. They had no interest in eliminating slavery, just a
burning desire to insure that they reaped as much as possible of the profits
of that "unholy institution."

Chattel slavery was deplorable but it continues today in many parts of the
world.

This country was built first upon the backs of indentured servants (economic
slaves) from Europe and then on the labors of chattel slaves, first from the
people indigenous to the West Indies and subsequently the Africans. "Human
bondage" built the great industrial strength of the northeast United States
just as surely as it did the plantation life of the South.

Bill, in KC
=-=-=-=-=