MOBARRY-L Archives

Archiver > MOBARRY > 2008-08 > 1220197085

From: "Donna Cooper" <>
Subject: [MOBARRY] Featured Photo
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:38:05 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

List Readers: Our featured photo for the week was submitted by Barbara Smith
It is of the Barry County Dalton family and Jesse James. Also one photo of
Emmi Dalton - aka Emmett Dalton was added, too. He was a son of Elias
Presley Dalton and a grandson of William A. Dalton, who was born March 1819
in Indiana. William and his son, Elias Presley Dalton, were residents of
Barry County.

It would be nice to know how the Dalton Gang was related to the Barry County
Dalton families. As most of you probably know, in October of 1892 in
Coffeyville, Kansas, Grat Dalton, Bob Dalton, Dick Broadwell and Bill Powers
were killed. And of the gang, Emmett Dalton wasn't killed but went to prison
and later died in California. Also already buried in Coffeyville was Frank
Dalton, another brother of the gang.Those Dalton men were related to Jesse
James through the Younger family, because their mother was Adeline Younger.
The Youngers and the Coles were related, because as you know, Jesse's mother
was a Cole.

These Daltons who were killed in Kansas were all sons of James Lewis and
Adeline (Younger) Dalton. The Barry County ones are William A. and Rebecca
(Owen?) Dalton's descendants.

I've noticed on the Internet that people are undecided about who James Lewis
Dalton's parents were and no one seems to have anything on the parents of
William A. Dalton, of Barry County. I wonder if William A. Dalton who was
born March of 1819 in Indiana wasn't a brother to James Lewis Dalton or to
James Lewis Dalton's father.

I don't know about you, but I would really like to know how the Barry County
Dalton family was related to the Dalton Gang.

Also researchers have that William A. Dalton, born Mar. 1819, died in 1904
and was buried in Cargile Cemetery. His wife was given as Rebecca on the
census. Rebecca is said, by Internet researchers, to have been born 1822 and
died Sept. 19, 1897. But I didn't see that there was any documentation for
place of death or for these death dates. If they are buried in Cargile they
must not have a stone, because we don't have one pictured. Is there anyone
out there who can verify that Cargile Cemetery is the burial place of
William and Rebecca?

Thank you Barbara for sharing these wonderful old photos with us and for
opening up more research questions for us to ponder.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mobarry/oddsnends/bryfams.htm

Enjoy the holiday week-end.

Donna Cooper

This thread: