MONMOUTHSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > MONMOUTHSHIRE > 2003-06 > 1055076835

From: barrie <>
Subject: [Mon] Charles Parry's essay and George Parry 1814, Aberystruth
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 13:53:55 +0100

Hi Barbara,

Don't know a great deal about Charles Parry family-wise only that he
wrote the Essay for the Ebbw Vale Eisteddfod (Briery Hill) in 1855. He
won 3 GB pounds for it, a Princely sum then;) There will probably be
reference to it in a local newspaper. I will have to check the British
Library site at Prodigi.

The Essay was published by a G.Parry. in 1870 (?) on manuscript.
Subsequent Historians of Ebbw Vale copied a lot of what he wrote without
giving Charles Parry the acknowledgement. Of course they all copied huge
chunks of Rev Edmund Jones (1769) and Archbishop William Coxe (1801)
anyway!

About 2 years ago I received an email from Australia, I believe. The
Lady was a descendant of George Parry, who around about 1850 was the
Ebbw Vale Company (Iron Works) chemist. George Parry produced a ' Cap
and Cone' system where the gases were trapped (feeding the furnaces) and
diverted to heat the engine boilers etc. previously these gases were
wasted. This system was considered a better process than the Bessemer
one, so it has been said.

I have the Family Tree of George Parry which this lady sent. I have lost
her email address, unfortunately. His pedigree is held in our Beaufort
library, I have it copied onto Family Tree Maker. If she is on this list
I would be extremely grateful if she would contact me.

It all starts from John Parry, who was born in Beaufort in 1782. John
married a Louisa Lewis. She was also from Beaufort. They married in
Aberystruth Parish Church in 1811 which was where people of Beaufort,
Ebbw Vale married in those days. It was closer than Bedwellty of
course;))

They must have settled in Aberystruth as that was where George Parry was
born in 1814. His siblings were, Maria, Emily, Margaret and CHARLES
PARRY. I have been told by a local historian that George Parry had no
connection. I have my doubts. I had been meaning to check out the
Aberystruth PR's to find the baptisms of the children.

Have you any details of John Parry before 1782?

best regards

Barrie Jones, Gwent

In message Barbara Griffiths <> writes:-

>Hi Barrie
>
>> Charles Parry's Essay mentions:-
>
>Since I'm collecting all references to the surname PARRY, that certainly looks
>like
>something I ought to know about! Could I have some more details, please?
>
>Regards
>Barbara Griffiths
>Coventry UK
>
>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/im.griffiths/parryfamilyhistory/parryhome.htm

-Visit Gwent FHS at :- http://www.gwentfhs.info/
(comprises, Ebbw Vale, Pontypool, Chepstow, Newport, Abergavenny, Blackwood.
Of interest to anyone who has ancestral connections with the old county of
Monmouthshire.--

This thread: