MONTGOMERY-L Archives

Archiver > MONTGOMERY > 2000-04 > 0955655846

Subject: Re: [MONTGOMERY-L] Another Robert Montgomery (SC)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:57:26 -0600

John Montgomery est. ca. 1620-1630 wife Isabella Shaw
had son's William, Hugh, Robert. All born Glenarm, Antrim, Ireland.
William, and Hugh were sea captains. Robert (ca 1660) married Mary McCollum,
had sons, William (ca 1680) married Mary Aiken, Hugh (ca 1689) married Jean
Cargill, Robert (est. ca 1693) married ???

These son's immigrated with the Presbry. migration under Rev. James
MacGregor in a flotilla of five ships (The McCullom, The Dolphin, The Mary &
Elizabeth, The Robert, The ??? ) that arrived over scattered
dates at Boston in 1718. These sons and their decendants account for a large
chunk of the Montgomery family north of Pennsylvania.

The similarity of naming patterns of Montgomery / Harper in the north
to Montgomery / Harper in the south has made me wonder for some
time if they might be fairly close relatives.

They arrival of William & Hannah, only 40 years after, from Antrim,
with a ships captain named Robert Montgomery, does give you pause,
doesn't it?

Bill G. Simpson