MONTGOMERY-L Archives

Archiver > MONTGOMERY > 2006-09 > 1158240025

From: "Gayle M. Garrett" <>
Subject: Re: [MONTGOMERY] James Montgomery Izard Co AR - Mary Harding - JIMMONTGOMERY
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:25:41 -0500

There is also a big branch of the Montgomery Family Line that comes
through Londonderry, N.H.. Today, it is called Derry, N.H. &
Londonderry, Vermont, some, later came through New York, arrived in
Boston, MA. on Aug. 4, 1718., then moved to Londonderry, N.H.. Today, it
is called Derry, N.H. &
Londonderry, Vermont. This our line, Down My wife Arlene's specific
side of the family, I don't see the name, James Montgomery.
Good Luck
Gayle M. Garrett

*/Descendants of John Montgomery/*

/Generation No. 1/

*1.* JOHN^1 MONTGOMERY was born Bet. 1620 - 1630. He married ISABELLA
SHAW.

Child of JOHN MONTGOMERY and ISABELLA SHAW is:

2. i. ROBERT^2 MONTGOMERY, b. 1659, Glenarm, Antrim,
Ireland; d. Ireland.

/Generation No. 2/

*2.* ROBERT^2 MONTGOMERY/ (J//OHN/^1 /)/ (Source: Jennifer Robison in
Washington State, now deceased.) was born 1659 in Glenarm, Antrim,
Ireland, and died in Ireland. He married MARY MCCOLLUM (Source:
Jennifer Robison in Washington State, now deceased.), daughter of HUGH
MCCOLLUM. She was born in Ireland, and died in Ireland.

Children of ROBERT MONTGOMERY and MARY MCCOLLUM are:

i. WILLIAM^3 MONTGOMERY (Source: Jennifer
Robison in Washington State, now deceased.), b. Abt. 1680, Glenarm,
Antrim, Ireland; m. MARY AIKEN.

More About WILLIAM MONTGOMERY:

Occupation: Bet. 1700 - 1720, Sea Captain

3. ii. HUGH MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1689, Glenarm,
Antrim, Ireland; d. April 1767, Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham
County.

iii. ROBERT MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1693, Glenarm,
Antrim, Ireland; m. ???.

/Generation No. 3/

*3.* HUGH^3 MONTGOMERY/ (R//OBERT/^2 /, J//OHN/^1 /)/ (Source: (1)
Records of Londonderry, N.H., vols. 1-3 (Manchester Historical Society
Collections), vols. 5-7, 1908-1914.., (2) Edward L. Parker, History of
Londonderry, N.H., 1851., (3) Jennifer Robison in Washington State, now
deceased.) was born Abt. 1689 in Glenarm, Antrim, Ireland, and died
April 1767 in Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham County. He married
JEAN CARGILL May 22, 1715 in Ballymena, Antrim, Ireland, daughter of
DAVID CARGILL and JANET SMITH. She was born Abt. 1685 in Ireland, and
died 1772 in Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham County.

Notes for HUGH MONTGOMERY:

Hugh Montgomery,Sr. arrived in Boston, MA. on Aug. 4, 1718. He and his
wife, Jean Cargill, her father, Capt. David Cargill, with wife, Janet
Smith, two sons, seven daughters,five sons-in law, and all their
children, traveled together. They were aboard the brigantine, "Robert",
with James Ferguson, Master. They had left Ulster three months
earlier, in an expedition of five ships, with a total of 120 families.
After arriving in Boston, they broke up into several groups. The
"Robert" sailed to Casco Bay, became lodged in the ice, and all
aboard spent an entire winter, in most deplorable conditions. In the
Spring, they received deed to land about 30 miles north of Boston. They
named this land, "Nutfield". The deed was dated Oct. 20, 1719. The
deed was given to Capt. Cargill, and over a hundred others.

Later, they changed the name to Londonderry. Today, it is called Derry,
N.H. Hugh Montgomery,
Sr. was in this group. He lived the rest of his live in Londonderry,
N.H. Both he and his wife died there and were buried there near their
home. Four of their children were born there: Mary, Elizabeth, Hugh,Jr.,
and David. David was sole executor of Hugh,Sr's will. In his will,
Hugh,Sr. also mentions a " well- beloved granddaughter, Jean Orr".
Obviously, he had another daughter, not named in his will. This will
was written, witnessed,and sealed on May, 6, 1766, in Londonderry,
N.H. He died there in 1767, and the will was probated 1768.
All in Londonderry, N.H. Town Records. From 1720 through
to the time of his death in 1767, are numerous records of this
activities. As an example: In 1733, Hugh Montgomery, Gentleman and
Jean, his wife, transfer land, (bk. 42,page 441). In 1755,
Hugh sells for 500 lbs. to his son, " David Montgomery, Husbandman", one
half of his home lot., (bk. 64, Pg.206).
In
1766, (bk. 82, pg. 493) Hugh and Jean, his wife, together with son,
David,and wife,Jean, sell land.
It
is more than likely that Hugh Sr.'s father, Robert Montgomery and
mother, Mary McCollum, had more than the one son, Hugh, Sr. He probably
named his son, Hugh, after Mary's father, Hugh
(McCollum). It would also be quite customary if he
had named a son after himself--"Robert".
Londonderry, N.H. town records mention a Robert Montgomery who arrived
about 1720., possibly Hugh, Sr.'s brother. This Robert had 4 children:
sons, Hugh and Robert, and daughters, Martha and Margaret. Margaret
married a Mr. Steel. All are mentioned by Robert in his
will. Also in town records: On
Oct. 24, 1762, Hugh Montgomery,Jr.,yeoman, "buys land of Robert
Montgomery,husbandman," (bk. 86, pg.
162).
In 1765, Hugh,Jr. buys land again from this same Robert, (bk. 86, pg.
162), (supposed to have been Hugh, Jr.'s father's brother,Robert). In
1765, Robert was no doubt in advanced yrs., and may have been near death
at the time.It was common practice to sell property to a close relative,
instead of putting it in a will.
HughMontgomery
III's grandson, Chester Montgomery, wrote a long letter dated May 5,
1890, (at advanced age of 81 yrs.) stating "............... and if I
was correctly informed in my childhood by my father, my grandfather,
Hugh, came with 2 brothers and a small colony from Ireland". ( This is
actually a reference to Chester's great- great grandfather, Hugh, from
Ireland in 1718).
SOURCES;
Records of Londonderry, N.H., vols. 1-3 (Manchester Historical
Society Collections), vols.
5-7,
1908-1914.
Edward L. Parker, History of Londonderry, N.H.,
1851.
Luella A. Owen, comp., "The
Cargill Familly in America, 1910, 49 pgs. George F.
Willey, Willey's Book of Nutfield,
1895. Cemetery
Records, Londonderry, N.H.
Archives of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Hugh
Montgomery,Sr.'s will, (
copy).

More About HUGH MONTGOMERY:

Occupation: Bet. 1700 - 1720, Sea Captain

More About HUGH MONTGOMERY and JEAN CARGILL:

Marriage: May 22, 1715, Ballymena, Antrim, Ireland

Children of HUGH MONTGOMERY and JEAN CARGILL are:

4. i. ELIZABETH W.^4 MONTGOMERY, b. March 20,
1719/20, Londonderry ,Rockingham, N.H..

ii. MARY MONTGOMERY, b. June 13, 1723,
Londonderry ,Rockingham, N.H.; m. JAMES ADAMS.

5. iii. HUGH MONTGOMERY,JR., b. July 29, 1726,
Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham County; d. 1792, Londonderry,
Windham, Vermont at 65 years of age.

iv. DAVID MONTGOMERY, b. February 28, 1726/27,
Londonderry, Rockingham, N.H; d. Aft. 1766; m. JEAN.

/Generation No. 4/

*4.* ELIZABETH W.^4 MONTGOMERY/ (H//UGH/^3 /, R//OBERT/^2 /, J//OHN/^1
/)/ was born March 20, 1719/20 in Londonderry ,Rockingham, N.H.. She
married JOHN (GEORGE) KNOX.

Child of ELIZABETH MONTGOMERY and JOHN KNOX is:

i. SARAH^5 KNOX.

*5.* HUGH^4 MONTGOMERY,JR./ (H//UGH/^3 /, R//OBERT/^2 /, J//OHN/^1 /)/
was born July 29, 1726 in Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham County,
and died 1792 in Londonderry, Windham, Vermont at 65 years of age. He
married ELIZABETH MARTIN 1746 in Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham
County. She was born 1730 in Ireland, and died in Londonderry, Vermont.

More About HUGH MONTGOMERY,JR.:

Emigration: 1775, Point of Origin, Londonderry, Rockingham, VT.

Military service: Bet. 1744 - 1746, In King George's War

More About HUGH MONTGOMERY and ELIZABETH MARTIN:

Marriage: 1746, Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham County

Children of HUGH MONTGOMERY and ELIZABETH MARTIN are:

i. HUGH^5 MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1749, Londonderry,
New Hampshire, Rockingham County; d. 1819; m. HANNA MACK.

6. ii. HENRY MONTGOMERY, b. January 27, 1749/50,
Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham County; d. June 14, 1833,
Aurelius, Cayuga, New York.

iii. JOHN MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1754, Londonderry,
New Hampshire, Rockingham County; d. 1844, Saw Mills, Vermont; m. JANE
BEATTY; d. 1832.

7. iv. ROBERT MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1756, Londonderry,
New Hampshire, Rockingham County; d. Abt. 1821, Salem, Washington, New York.

v. DAVID MONTGOMERY, b. 1760.

vi. MARGARET MONTGOMERY, b. June 12, 1763,
Londonderry, New Hampshire, Rockingham County; d. August 22, 1858,
Pamelia, New York; m. ? MACK.

/Generation No. 5/

*6.* HENRY^5 MONTGOMERY/ (H//UGH/^4 /, H//UGH/^3 /, R//OBERT/^2 /,
J//OHN/^1 /)/ was born January 27, 1749/50 in Londonderry, New
Hampshire, Rockingham County, and died June 14, 1833 in Aurelius,
Cayuga, New York. He married SUSANNAH BEATTY Abt. 1775. She was born
September 09, 1751, and died October 16, 1825.

More About HENRY MONTGOMERY:

Burial: Aft. June 14, 1833, Aurelius, Cayuga, New York, Troopville Cemetery

Military service: Abt. 1775, Revolutionary War

More About HENRY MONTGOMERY and SUSANNAH BEATTY:

Marriage: Abt. 1775

Children of HENRY MONTGOMERY and SUSANNAH BEATTY are:

i. WILLIAM^6 MONTGOMERY, b. January 1776,
Aurelius, Cayuga, New York; d. January 19, 1809, Aurelius, Cayuga, New
York at the age of 32 years; m. SALLY ELDRIDGE, Aurelius, Cayuga, New York.

More About WILLIAM MONTGOMERY and SALLY ELDRIDGE:

Marriage: Aurelius, Cayuga, New York

ii. HENRY JR. MONTGOMERY, b. February 1778,
Aurelius, Cayuga, New York; d. June 10, 1820, Aurelius, Cayuga, New York
at the age of 42 years; m. LYDIA.

iii. JOHN MONTGOMERY, b. July 1780; d. August
1815, At 35 years of age.

*7.* ROBERT^5 MONTGOMERY/ (H//UGH/^4 /, H//UGH/^3 /, R//OBERT/^2 /,
J//OHN/^1 /)/ was born Abt. 1756 in Londonderry, New Hampshire,
Rockingham County, and died Abt. 1821 in Salem, Washington, New York.
He married POLLY ?. She was born in Salem, Washington, New York.

More About POLLY ?:

Fact: Polly could possibly be her last name

Children of ROBERT MONTGOMERY and POLLY ? are:

i. JANE^6 MONTGOMERY, b. Bef. 1784, Salem,
Washington, New York.

ii. POLLY MONTGOMERY, b. Bef. 1784, Salem,
Washington, New York.

8. iii. ROBERT MONTGOMERY,JR., b. 1776, Londonderry,
Vermont.

iv. ALEXANDER MONTGOMERY, b. 1777, Londonderry,
Vermont; d. 1852, Roxbury, Delaware Co., New York; m. MARY ANN HOPKINS;
b. 1779; d. 1860, Roxbury, Delaware Co., New York.

v. WILLIAM MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1778, Londonderry,
Vermont; d. May 12, 1858, Roxbury, Delaware Co., New York; m. SALLY
CONKEY; b. Abt. 1786; d. 1865, Roxbury, Delaware Co., New York.

9. vi. MARTIN MONTGOMERY, b. 1780, Vermont; d. 1860,
Whiteside City, Illinois.

vii. HUGH MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1790, Salem,
Washington, New York; d. October 22, 1865; m. ELIZABETH TOOMBS.

/Generation No. 6/

*8.* ROBERT^6 MONTGOMERY,JR./ (R//OBERT/^5 /, H//UGH/^4 /, H//UGH/^3 /,
R//OBERT/^2 /, J//OHN/^1 /)/ was born 1776 in Londonderry, Vermont. He
married SALLY/POLLY.

Children of ROBERT MONTGOMERY and SALLY/POLLY are:

i. MORRISON^7 MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1805.

ii. DANIEL MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1807.

iii. ALEXANDER C. MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1812.

iv. HENRY MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1813.

v. HULDA MONTGOMERY.

vi. HANNAH MONTGOMERY.

vii. SALLY MONTGOMERY.

10. viii. ROBERT MONTGOMERY, b. February 17, 1827, Derry,
New Hampshire, Rockingham County; d. March 13, 1879, Lincoln Co., Kansas
Prairie Fire Along With Son Robert J..

*9.* MARTIN^6 MONTGOMERY/ (R//OBERT/^5 /, H//UGH/^4 /, H//UGH/^3 /,
R//OBERT/^2 /, J//OHN/^1 /)/ was born 1780 in Vermont, and died 1860 in
Whiteside City, Illinois. He married (1) LOIS WAIT Abt. 1800 in
Roxbury, Delaware Co., New York, daughter of THOMAS WAIT and NAOMI
WEEKS/WICKES. She was born Abt. 1782 in Rhode Island, and died Abt.
1840 in Whiteside City, Illinois. He married (2) ELIZA RICE January 12,
1846 in Whiteside County, Illinois. She was born 1792 in Massachusetts.

More About MARTIN MONTGOMERY and LOIS WAIT:

Marriage: Abt. 1800, Roxbury, Delaware Co., New York

More About MARTIN MONTGOMERY and ELIZA RICE:

Marriage: January 12, 1846, Whiteside County, Illinois

Children of MARTIN MONTGOMERY and LOIS WAIT are:

i. EUNICE M.^7 MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1801,
Roxbury, Delaware Co., New York; d. December 1869, Clyde, Whiteside
County, New York; m. ZACHARIAH DENT, 1848, Whiteside City, Illinois; b.
July 26, 1805, Buckingham, Norfolk County, England; d. June 25, 1888,
Clinton, Iowa.

More About ZACHARIAH DENT and EUNICE MONTGOMERY:

Marriage: 1848, Whiteside City, Illinois

11. ii. CHARLES MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1802, Roxbury,
Delaware Co., New York; d. Dakota City, Nebraska.

iii. THOMAS MONTGOMERY, b. 1804, Roxbury, Delaware
Co., New York.

iv. KATHERINE MONTGOMERY, b. Abt. 1806, Roxbury,
Delaware Co., New York; d. Aft. 1876, Whiteside City, Illinois; m. JOHN
MARTIN; b. Blair County, Penn..

v. MARTIN M. MONTGOMERY, b. November 06, 1818,
Roxbury, Delaware Co., New York; d. February 13, 1900, Sterling,
Whiteside, Illinois.

12. vi. MARIA MONTGOMERY, b. November 06, 1818, Roxbury,