MOPULASK-L Archives

Archiver > MOPULASK > 2004-08 > 1093184794

From: JOEL MELTON <>
Subject: Re: [MOPULASKI] McCortney graveyard
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 07:26:34 -0700 (PDT)

Any one know who to contact at Waynesville school about this project. I may have information on cemetery and/or families in the area that they may not have.

Catch ya later

Joel

wrote: This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.

Surnames: McCortney Wilson Ball
Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/UNB.2ACI/968.1.1.1.1

Message Board Post:

Hi Mary,
I was looking for info on the McCortney graveyard and found your post. Maybe you can help me. Can you tell me where you got the info. on John Foster? It seems there is many more graves now unearthed than the original 14.

I have been following a site that reports the renovation of the cemetery by some school kids there in Waynesville. Last that they wrote they had found more than 50 graves. But their diary ended without listing the names on the headstones that they unearthed. If you go to the following link, it gives timelines and lots of pictures of the renovation.
http://www.fidnet.com/~bigpiney/Cemetery/Timeline.html

Diaries said that the kids were recording the names of the buried, but did not give a list. Is there a librairy near you where they could tell you what school did this work and where to get copy of list?

My GGGrandfather married into the McCortney family. He was James M. Wilson. There were alot of Wilson's living in Big Piney with the McCortneys. I haven't been able to find his burial site anywhere, and feel sure that this is where I will finally find him. He was killed by a bushwacker sometime between 1861 and 1866.

Any clues that you can give me pertaining to this graveyard would be immenesly appreciated!

This is a place where you can upload files, photos, etc. Messages will be shared with the Group.