MORAVIANCHURCH-L Archives

Archiver > MORAVIANCHURCH > 2001-01 > 0979581490

From: "Richard Barnes" <>
Subject: Re: [MORAVIANCH] SMITHERMAN of Salem, NC
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:58:10 -0500

There are definitely a few SMITHERMANs now living in Forsyth
Co/Winston-Salem NC. One thing I have noted in my (amateur) research is
that there seems to be an invisible norht/south boundary between
Guilford/Randolph counties and Stokes/Forsyth/Davidson/Rowan counties in the
early era. Perhaps it was the trails and wagon roads but it seems that in
my Forsyth Co. "rooting" that there is not much interconnection east-west
across those counties above. I do have a stray DEAN who appears to have
crossed over from Guilford, and perhaps my brickwall John Peter HOOVER
(1812-1874) did so. There were a lot of HOOVERs over in Randoph Co. but a
paucity here. I suspect his ancestery was Swiss rather than German,
although I am sure he found the German influence on this area somewhat
inviting....

Richard D. Barnes
Winston-Salem, NC 27104

NC: Appel, Brindle, Clampitt, Dean, Fouts, Frey, Glasscoe, Harder, Hoover,
Lashmit, Leinbach, Longworth, Mullikin, Rominger, Rothrock, Snider, Sink,
Snider, Spach, Starr, Tesh, Transou, Walk, Williard
VA: Longworth, McGannon, Nash, Richards
IN: Barnes, Fouts, Hendricks, Law