MORAY-L Archives

Archiver > MORAY > 2002-08 > 1030489281

From: "Morag Godfrey-Grant & Peter Grant" <morag&>
Subject: [MORAY] Grant Family
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:01:21 +0100

Dear Lois

Just back tonight from four wonderful days on the beautiful Isle of Barra
and reading my emails - your message leapt out at me.

I see you are a New Zealander. I'm originally from Dunedin NZ, over here in
London with my wife Morag on a working holiday and I used to know a great,
knowledgeable old chap in Oamaru named John Grant. John was a grandson of
the John Grant and Jessie Grant you mention. John was very interested in
his Scottish forebears (his mother was also Scottish - from Sutherland) and
he spent quite a time tracing the Grants in several lines. After he died,
his widow gave me his several years of research notes and papers for
safekeeping and I have them in storage back home in New Zealand. John also
had a fantastic collection of books on Scottish history, genealogy,
literature etc (especially relating to Strathspey, Highland Banffshire and
Sutherland/Caithness) amassed over some 40 years prior to his death.

I will try to tell you a few things I recall. I do remember that John Grant
senior (being a Glenlivet man!) emigrated to Dunedin NZ to work as a
distiller and finally ended up farming at Otiake in North Otago. I think he
was a founder member of the Caledonian Society in the area and I have seen a
fine photo of him as an elderly man in his highland dress. His daughters
married into local North Otago Highland families - the MacInnes' of Kurow
spring to mind.

John's wife Jessie Grant died at a reasonably young age from memory (excuse
my constant statements re memory/"I think" etc, but I have not looked at the
notes for many years) and John married again. I think he also married a
third time, his second or third wife being Elizabeth Ellis, daughter of Duff
Ellis from BAN. He died in Dunedin where he had retired. Jessie's father
Duncan Grant was a Waterloo veteran and survived until a good old age. I
think old Duncan lived at Duthil INV. There is also a great old photo of
Duncan Grant and his wife taken in the 1860s or 1870s.

I trust this is all good news for you and you won't be disappointed that you
won't have the "thrill of the chase" on these lines. But perhaps you can
have fun verifying all of his (and my) research! As I say, I'm afraid that
John's research notes are packed away in storage in New Zealand, but I am
sure that I can put you in touch with various distant Grant relatives of
your in New Zealand and in Scotland who may have copies of the family trees,
photos etc.

Kind regards,
Peter Grant
London UK