MORAY-L Archives

Archiver > MORAY > 2006-08 > 1155054801

From: Alex Grant <>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [MORAY] Tininver Lime Works and Errol Bank, Dufftown
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 12:37:30 -0400

>From: Alex Grant <>
>Subject: Re: [MORAY] Tininver Lime Works and Errol Bank, Dufftown
>

>Hello William,
> Thanks for your note & comments re: Tiniver Lime
> Works..........your family involvement is well after our 'GORDON's sold
> the business...let me give you some insight into our connection with the
> Lime Works and Errollbank
> My husband's Gr-grandfather Alexander GORDON leased the farm of
> Tullochallum (1812-1857) when he assigned it to his son
> George. He also owned an interest in the Tiniver Lime Works with
> James Findlater of Baloenic, the lands & buildings leased from the Earl
> of Fife. The firm's name was 'Alexander Gordon & Company' Helen
> Gordon (his daughter) worked as a clerk in the business, and in
> 1861 Alexander assigned her all his debts, goods & chattels, and she
> agreed to keep her father for the balance of his life. He also
> built the first Errolbank Cottage & moved into this house in 1861 with
> Helen. Alexander Gordon was also the first Roman Catholic Justice of
> the Peace in the Parish of Mortlach since the Reformation.
> In 1861 Tiniver Lime Works included a battery of three
> kilns..... Helen then added a large, single kiln to the left of the
> three existing. She also acquired a lease of a lime-stone field in the
> Parish of Botriphinie where she built the Drummuir Lime Works which she
> operated until 1872. She also undertook the construction of a second
> cottage, Erollbank and eventually joined the two sections. (Note:
> today it is run as a 'Bed & Breakfast'.
> In May of 1862 Helen Gordon married Peter GRANT, he worked for
> a time with George GORDON and then did land surveying and later become
> a surveyor for the railway system....this eventually led him to
> emigrate in 1869 to New Brunswick, Canada where he worked
> surveying for the Intercolonial Railway. In 1872 his wife, Helen &
> their four sons joined him & settled in the Matapedia Valley. Alexander
> Jos., the eldest son, and my husband's grandfather became a marine
> engineer, working with his father & others as early as the age of
> 16/17/18......later in his career he worked at Couteau Landing
> Que., Peterborough Lift Locks and the last Welland Canal, which
> celebrates 75 yrs in 2007. The second son, Gordon Patrick also
> became a well-known engineer; the third son James Andrew became a
> priest; the youngest son John Forbes had a lengthy career with the Bank
> of Montreal

This info comes from a hand-written family history by Alexander
Joseph GRANT, which I have transcribed as written and am working on
editing, formatting, adding photos etc. for future generations.
By-the-way if you 'Google' the name 'Errollbank' you will
likely come up with the site promoting the 'Bed & Breakfast' currently in
operation......I was astounded at the size and beauty of what GFather
described as a 'cottage'..........
doris