MOREY-L Archives

Archiver > MOREY > 2011-12 > 1322797572

From: ,
Subject: [MOREY] Edward Morey b. 08 Apr 1822, Havant, Hampshire, England
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 03:46:12 -0000

This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.

Author: geoffreywilliams1
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

Message Board Post:

Your Edward Morey b. 08 Apr 1822, Havant, Hampshire, England m. Charlotte King 13 Sep 1841 Alverstoke, HAM, ENG, d. 08 Jul 1892 Pelorus Sound, Picton, MBH, NZL; was the son of Henry Morey b. 14 Feb 1790 West Street, Havant, HAM, ENG and Hannah Rummy b. 20 Jan 1793 St Faiths, Havant, HAM, ENG.

Edward Morey was my Henry Morey's younger brother. Henry Morey arrived later in New Zealand 21 Dec 1864 11 pm Waitemata, Auckland on the Talbot from Gravesend sailing 02 Aug 1864.

Notes for Edward Morey: He arrived in NZL at Lyttleton on the Strathallan 21 Jan 1859. The family had sailed from Gravesend 12 Oct 1858. The ship was a fully rigged sailing ship of 551 tons. Built at Dundee in 1857 she was 162.2 feet long, beam 38.3 feet. She drew 17.8 feet. The trip was her second voyage. She was under the command of Captain Williamson. Edward aged 35, Charlotte aged 34, Myra Martha 15, Elizabeth 8, Helen Ann 5 months. They were assisted immigrants, the total fare was 59/10/-, Edward's deposit being 15. Edward ran a business in Jollie Street, Akaroa where he had on sale: first class bricks, glazed drain pipes (all sizes), flower pots, vases, pans, etc. He was a builder - a stonemason and bricklayer. During 1859 and 1860 he built the present Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Lyttleton. It seats 400 people and cost 3320. It is now the oldest stone church in Canterbury. He also built the present Anglican Church at Governors Bay and another at Okains Bay. All !
these churches were damaged in the Christchurch earthquakes. The family shifted to Akaroa about 1867. Edward was active in local affairs, a keen horticulturist and a leader in the Oddfellows Lodge. The family were Methodist and held services in their own home as well as supporting the Anglican Church. Edward was a builder - a stonemason and bricklayer. He went bankrupt and ended up in prison. He died in Picton 8 July 1892, the result of an accident while building the Presbyterian Church.

Holy Trinity Anglican Church Lyttelton

Laying Foundation Stone 20 Jun 1859

The following is an account in the Lyttelton Times 22 Jun 1859 - The occasion of laying the foundation stone of the church of the Holy Trinity intended for the Parish of this town was celebrated with the usual ceremonies on Monday 20 Jun 1859

Before speaking of the days proceedings it may be well to explain the circumstances under which at this day some eight years and a half after the arrival of the first colonists, the inhabitants of Lyttelton are found to be only commencing a church. Most of our readers are acquainted with the main facts of the case, but the story is one which will bear repetition.

Lyttelton Church was naturally the first thought of and the first commenced in the settlement. At a public meeting held 09 Sep 1851, the erection of a building was determined and a committee formed, which met 18 Sep 1851 after obtaining subscriptions to the amount of 760. The same day plans were sent in by Mr B W Mountfort, and approved. Tenders were called for supply of the materials and construct the building, all which were obtained early the following year, the builder being Mr Isaac Luck, in these proceedings Mr Godley, the first agent of the Canterbury Association, and Mr Fitzgerald, the late Superintendant of this province, each took an active part. On 24 April 1852 the foundation stone of the church was laid by Mr Godley, amid a large concourse of persons, and with all due ceremony. Mr Godley's address on the occasion, delivered on the ground, is still recalled by those who heard it as one of the most eloquent orations to which it had ever been their fortune to list!
en. On the day of the ceremony it is noted a deficit of funds was expected of 300, a sum which at that time was almost hopeless to expect from private subscriptions. The committee took the bold but most patriotic step of raising the funds required on their own personal security, a step which as the liabilities they offered to incur really fell on them, tended by no means to sweeten their labours or to encourage them bringing the work to a satisfactory conclusion. It is due to most of the gentlemen concerned in these proceedings to say that even though since that time they have had the opportunity of being reimbursed from the church funds, they have with the purest liberality declined the offer, and have thus increased by no inconsiderable sum the amount available for the new building.

First Anglican Church at Lyttelton a disaster.

The church began in April 1852 and was opened on the Feast of the Epiphany 06 Jan 1853 and was completed in about nine months. It should be said Mr Mountfort's original design was for a very large building of which only one third was at first undertaken. The walls were of great height and were constructed of what is called brick noggin, namely bricks built into a framework of timber.

Timbers shrink and bricks fall.

The timber was of New Zealand growth, and though said to be the finest lot ever cut in Porirua it possessed the property of shrinking to an extent certainly never to be expected by a builder whose experience lay among the oaks and deals. Before the church had stood six months, the joints of the wood work had drawn in all directions; the vacancies even in the closely jointed portions became sufficient to pass a finger through. The height of the walls and the expanse of the roof presented a hold for the fierce noth and south west winds, that the workings of the loosened timbers in a gale became apparent to the eye. The congregation used to assemble in terror and on some occasions it was evident that but little wanted to make them all rush out in a body.

Church abandoned regarding worship.

This little something was afforded at last by the falling of half a dozen bricks from the apex of the gable on to the floor beneath a height of some consequence. After this no congregation assembled again; for public worship, though in cases of funerals the burial service was sometimes read there. There is little doubt undue terror was excited. The building in fact did stand long after it was abandoned, and might have stood any number of years without getting worse. At any rate , such repairs and additions might have been made as would have prevented any more bricks from falling; and this possibly have been done had not the truncated building presented itself to the public eye as so intensely ugly that taste as well as comfort demanded its removal.

Plans for the new Church

Stone church approved in October, 1867, the subject was taken up again in earnest, and subscriptions were collected or promised within a month to amount something like a thousand pounds. A design for a stone church one of three submitted by Mr George Mallinson, had been approved at a public meeting and nothing remained but to obtain a tender to construct the building within the amount available.

No suitable tenders. This proved to be a most tedious process e at the end of the year so that after a variety of endeavours resulting in the receipt of a few tenders at a sum something like double that estimated, the committee the gave bask their task into the hands of the congregation, and the prospect of being able to erect a stone building appeared indefinitely distant.

Grant money from provincial council. Just about this time, when a wooden church was about to be determined on, the grant of money by the provincial council increased the church funds, and infused fresh vigour into the operations of the committee. The design in stone was taken up again, and the introduction of labour rendered it easier to execute that class of work.

Edward Morey tender accepted.

A tender by an experienced stone mason and builder, Mr Edward Morey was sent in and accepted and the work commenced in earnest a second time. The foundation was taken out in a somewhat different part of the reserve from the former site so the whole building rest level on solid ground. In our opinion the site is thus much improved. This alteration involved considerable expense in excavation. Here by Monday last, all the foundations had been put in and all the builder's preparations very judiciously made for the ceremony of laying the cornerstone.

Edward Morey left no Morey descendants. In 1998 Keith C Griffith MBE had found my Morey book (Morey Memories) in the Victoria University library and contacted me. He had made the connection of his Edward Morey to my Henry Morey, had written a manuscript which needs printing one day. In this manuscript there is a transcribed passenger's diary of the trip kept by J. T. Morris, who did not disembark at Timaru but returned there from Lyttelton and became a popular figure in the town.


12. Started at last. Man overboard.
13. Went ashore at Gravesend with E . Mustered on the poop, and was made captain of No. 27 mess. Prayer meetings on board.
14. Towed down to the Nore. Cast anchor off Ramsgate. Weighed again at 5 p.m. Saw the comet.
15. Off Deal. Up anchor again 3 a.m. Wet foggy morning. Poor grub. Anchored again at 12 a.m., Deal. Preserved meat and potatoes. Plenty of bumboats alongside. Porpoises. French coast in sight. Fine day. Made sail at 8 p.m. Passed Foreland.
16. Beachy Head at 7 a.m. Isle of Wight in the evening. Serving out stores all day.
17. French coast in the morning. Off Cape la Hogue. All hands making puddings. Dark wintry night. Sea rising. Ship going well.
18. Sea higher. Ship going well. Commenced serving out water. ' Bay of Biscay 0! ' Sick. Pitch and toss. Heavy sea all night. All in motion.
19. Sea as high as the maintop. Rain and cold. Much sickness on board. Pig fell down the main hatch. Chaffinch followed us from Beechy Head. Through the Bay. All right again.
20. Ship going well. Studding sails set. Shoals of porpoises.
21. Becalmed all day. Starling came on board, and a hawk. Several whales about the ship. Another pig down the main hatch.
22. Dead calm still. A woman died this morning. Funeral at half-past 4. Stiff breeze all night.
23. Puffy breeze all the morning, then calm. Ship's newspaper read after dinner.
24 (Sunday). Breeze during the morning. Passed the Joshua and Mary of London. A child died this afternoon.
25. Funeral this morning. Dull heavy weather. Continually close hauled. 27.27 lat. today.
26. Close hauled. No progress. Heavy sea all last night, broke the cabin windows. Very heavy weather; shipping a great deal of water.
27. Fine morning. Becalmed, looking out for the Trades. A song below at night till 12. Trades expected.
28. Fag end of the trade winds. Trades at last! First warmth of sun.
29. Favourable. Sun warmer, light wind.
30. Similar weather.
31 (Sunday). First fine Sunday. Sun warm; sea smooth; wind fair. Dinner and tea on the forecastle. Very pleasant day altogether.


1. Fine day. Wrote for minister. Steward and boy fought. Our steward and boy came sleeping with us.
2. Fine day. Flying fish seen, also waterspout. Concert on deck in the evening.
3 Light winds. No progress.
4. Light winds. No progress.
5. The Trades at last, at 2 in the afternoon. Going well. Saw flying fish.
6. Going well. Lots of flying fish. Dance on deck in the evening.
7 (Sunday). Splendid weather. Flying fish came on the poop. Several nautilus seen. Ship very lousy. At 4 o'clock in the afternoon passed the Pierre la Grande of Dunkeyen from Bordeaux for the Brazils.
8. No sun. Fine breeze. Ship going well. Aired bedding. Dance on deck.
9. All well. Squall of wind and rain. Much lightning at night.
10. Wet. Buckley and Tobin fought. Becalmed all day. Shoal of fish blowing alongside after dark.
11. Becalmed. A large ship in sight all day and yesterday. Lunar rainbow at 8 o'clock at night. Breaking out stores all day - the hottest job that I ever had. Becalmed all day. The ship still in sight. A squall of wind and rain at 7 p.m. and then becalmed again. Dreadful rain all night; the ship flooded.
13. The same sort of weather. The ship in sight still. Fish jumping all round. Becalmed nearly all day. Rain at intervals.
14. Becalmed still. Ship still in sight. Very hot. Sharks' fins in sight. A shark came on the port side and went away aft, and after smelling the bait went away ahead. The first mate got down on the guys of the martingale, and dropping the bait the shark presently came back and took it. Landed it on the main deck and cut it up. It proved to be about a year old.
15. Shark for breakfast fried in butter. Shark for tea stewed in vinegar. Very light winds all day. Ship still in sight. Breeze in the evening.
16. Pickles sent to prison for 12 hours. The 30th day since we saw land. Ship going better. Leaping and games on deck. Lay on forecastle at night till rain caused a retreat.
17. Ship going well at last. Sailing close-hauled. Dancing and singing at night. South-east trades.
18. Ship going well. School of whales at 2 in the afternoon. Crossed the Line between 2 and 3. Neptune came on board in the evening. Pumps rigged; all hands pumped on. Plenty of grog in forecastle with sailors; all singing and jolly.
19. Ship going well. Ten knots an hour. Fine day and all well.
20. Mrs Kohn's child died this morning. Funeral at half-past 4. A ship right ahead of us at half-past 11 in the morning. We are in chase of her.
21. Ship still ahead, but we have gained a few miles on her by noon. Fore stun'sail set and main top-gallant. Going from 10 to 12 knots.
22. Lost the ship in the dark last night, after chasing her between four and five hundred miles.
23. Mrs Padget had a child at 3 this morning. Abreast of St Helena at mid-day. Between 15 and 16 south lat.
24. 4 doz. shirts, 18 pairs of trousers, etc., etc., lost. A general search among the boxes, but no result. 20 degree south at 12. Looking out all night for Trinidad.
25. Large shark swimming round the ship. Stiff breeze.
26. Blowing stiff all the evening and night. Clewed up the royals, etc. First mate knocked a cabin passenger down on the poop.
27. Strong breeze. Gus B- washed shirts, etc., and the wind blew them all to pieces.
28. Fine weather.
29. Two ships in sight, the first since the 21st. Becalmed all day. Whales blowing about the ship. Five mile walking match on the poop.
30. The Julia, 52 days out from Callao for Liverpool and Cork, in sight this morning. At 8 a.m. the ship 10 miles off. A boat put off and came alongside a little after 10. Left again a little after 12, with letters and some tar, twine, etc. Becalmed all day, the sea as smooth as a sheet of glass. Saw a large sun fish. About the hottest day we have had.


1. Gentle wind. Rather cooler. Going from four to five knots with the breeze right aft. Shoal of porpoises. The first mate tried to harpoon one but failed. In the latitude of the Cape at last.
2. Fresh breeze on the starboard quarter. Ship going 9 to 11 knots. The lacing rope of the fore-topmast-staysails carried away. 12 o'clock: 36 deg. lat. S., 27 deg. long. W. Several large albatrosses in sight.
3. Albatrosses, Cape pigeons, etc., in sight. Fishing for them. No go. Becalmed all the morning. The King Phillip, of London, for Bombay with between five and six hundred troops, which was in sight all day yesterday, came alongside of us in the afternoon and a race ensued, but she left us before dark. The men cheered us for several hours, and the bugler played ' Home Sweet Home ', and ' Cheer Boys, Cheer '. Stun'sails below and aloft, but she left us behind. She sailed three days before us.
4. Stiff breeze. Plenty of sail on. Ship going before the wind from 10 up to 13 knots. The water rising under the bows like a great plume of white feathers. Main-top-gallant yard-arm carried away.
5. Strong gale, beginning last night at about 10. At twelve the rolling yard of the main-topsail broke off at the end, the whole ship giving a tremendous lurch, and throwing boxes, pots, etc., in every direction. At 7 in the morning while hauling in the haulyards on the poop we shipped a sea up the whole of the starboard side, the ship lying right over on the water, carrying away everything loose on deck, and flooding the whole of the 'tween decks a foot deep in water. Took in sail and drove before it, the wind blowing fearfully and the sea rolling in perfect mountains. Ship rolling frightfully and shipping water every few moments. About 8 it began to abate and we were again enabled to set the foresail, and thank God the worst of it was over. Driven by it 270 miles, going sometimes nearly 13 knots.
6. Heavy sea still rolling, but not so much wind. Went below to get things to rights in the hold. All in a mess among the stores. Shooting albatross on the poop in the afternoon. Going over 12 knots all the evening. Splendid sailing.
7. Fine morning. Ship all right. Sighted the Island of St Antonio in the night. Concert at night and grand chorus in bed.
8. Wet morning. Ship went as high as 13 knots at some time during the past night. Said to have run 324 miles yesterday in the 24 hours. Doubtful. Started a new band in the evening. Ship rolling very much. About the longitude of the Cape and about 45 south.
9. Light winds. Ship rolling dreadfully. Sailor Jack knocked the boatswain down. Single men's band on deck in the evening. Fight between Clark and Jim the sailor.
10. The ship still rolling dreadfully. Wind gradually falling. Supposed to be 6,500 miles from port yesterday morning.
11. Mrs Bishop's child died last night. The cabin steward went into the hospital on Thursday. Row between the captain and boatswain; between the boatswain and little Jimmy the sailor and general quarrelling. Child buried between 12 and 1. Heavy seas during the service. Dreadful weather all day till midnight, then it gradually broke off. The second stormy day. Thank God for its abatement.
12 (Sunday). Fine day with good breeze. Ship going well. Sermon on the forecastle ladder.
13. Stiff breeze. Ship going up to 14 knots, over 300 miles in the day. The best sailing since we started.
14. Another day's fine sailing. Hospital cleared out.
15. Calm gentle wind. Shoal of porpoises alongside. Mrs Abbott's child died at 9 p.m. Ship close hauled; right over on her side. Strong wind. 10 p.m., 13 1/2 knots.
17. Awful weather all night, the sea breaking right up the rigging. Rain in the morning. Wet through with hauling ropes on deck. The first mate going to put Cameron the sailor in irons.
18. Wind right aft. Ship rolling heavily all day. Patches of sea weed floating past all day. Porpoises about.
19 (Sunday). Fine morning. Ship going well. Blackfish about the ship. Cold, rain and snow. Look out for land. Kerguelen's Land (or Crozets) half-past three on the starboard side. There is a doubt as to which it is. Heavy squalls of wind and rain from E. by N. Hard work to keep the ship off. Waves washing over her and our side under water. Flying jib carried away, off the rocks. Lot of ducks flew off the island; ragged looking fellows.
20. Getting out a new flying jib. Starboard fore stun'sail boom carried away. Rigged the main ditto in its place. More sea weed. Sleep on the forecastle. Looking out for more land.
21. The longest day with us. Fine morning, then storm of snow and hail. The boom rigged yesterday snapped off in the middle. Mended concertina. Band again.
22. A barrel of flour and box of raisins given to the passengers for their Christmas box on the quarterdeck. Ship going well.
23. Ship going splendidly, and from 10 to above 14 knots an hour. 72 east at midday.
24. Another stormy day. Shipping water every moment. One sea filled the, whole belly of the mainsail and then plumped down the main hatchway. Mr. Double's child died this afternoon and was buried directly afterwards. Wind fell off about 8 p.m. Ship rolling fearfully. Southern lights, or Aurora Australis very plain after dark.
25 (Saturday, Christmas Day). Fine day. Splendid weather. Shiny, cool and pleasant. Ship going well. Two children christened this morning. One called William Strathallan Padget and the other Strathallan Hayes. Plenty of plum duffs on board. Sailors all drunk and fighting. Blue murder. Hurrah!
26 (Sunday). Queer. No how. All wrong. Too soon after Christmas.
27. Fine morning. Another stun'sail boom carried away during last night Ship rolling very heavily all night and this morning. Snow at midday. Another boom carried away this afternoon. Rough weather. Heavy hail and snow at intervals during the night. Manchester's photo stolen.
28. Snow this morning. Bitter cold. More heavy snow and hail. The boatswain groggy.
29. Clearing out under the forecastle. Snow and cold.
30. Nearly a calm. Curious piece of sea weed floated past. Good breeze in evening and all night.
31. Ship going tremendously all day. Half-past 6 p.m. main-topmast stun'sail carried away. The last day of the old year. At midnight the ship's bells rang for a quarter of an hour, after which a concert of pots and pans kept up a chorus until the captain brought out the rum bottle. Heavy sea. Water coming on the drummer.


1st, 1859. Strong wind all day. Sea rising. Mrs Brightmore, the mad woman brought down to the single men's hospital at night. Mutiny and rebellion. ladder taken down and the devil to pay.
2 (Sunday). Another stormy day. Wind blowing, sea rolling. Main topgallant sheet chain carried away. Child died this afternoon. Wind fell about 8 p.m. Ship rolling all night.
3. Beautiful morning. Sunshine. Smooth sea. Very little wind. Child buried this morning. All hands sorting out boxes for Timaru.
4. Light wind all day. Row between old Pickles and young Everett.
5. Wakeful last night. Went on deck. Curious appearances like balls of fire floating past every moment in the dark. Breeze all day.
6. Dreadfully rough day. The wind nearly ahead. The sea breaking over every moment from 9 in the morning until 4 in the morning of the 7th. Mrs Brightmore died in the afternoon, and was buried directly afterwards. Land birds about the ship. Wet through in the afternoon from two seas that came on board.
7. Almost a dead calm. Serving out stores. Half the usual quantity for those going to Timaru.
8. Both anchor chains up and bent on. The steward knocked off by the captain's orders one day this week. Pumping ship in the evening.
9 (Sunday). Light winds. Very little progress. Row between B. and R. R. tried to cut B. down with a scraper. A watch kept below all night for fear of R. assaulting B. in his sleep.
10. Light wind. The ship going no how. The cat-fall hove ready for the anchors. Studding-sail booms all taken in. Looking out for the land. Breeze right ahead. Seven points off her course. A shoal of large fish in sight extending for more than ten miles, blowing every moment. No land in sight yet.
11. Nearly a head wind with heavy fog. No seeing above half a mile. Half week's allowance of rations for Timaru people. Caught a large mohawk, as large as a fine goose, and turned it loose on deck. Got the anchors over the side and got more chain up. Put the ship about at 8 p.m.
12. Cold, misty, wet morning. Struck the bell at 6 a.m. All hands looking out for land. Faint appearance of land at different times during the day. Wind falling, dead calm in the evening.
13. Studding sails set again. Land on the port bow about 11 a.m., between 30 and 40 miles distant. NEW ZEALAND! 35 miles from land at noon. 2 p.m., mist and light rain, land down again. 3 p.m., chains of high mountains on the port bow. Land continually rising ahead. 4 p.m., more very high mountains just rising. Long, being made fast in the fore rigging, drew his knife and threatened to stab little Jimmy the sailor.
14. Ten thousand mountains towering far above the clouds, some of them covered with eternal snow, but all barren and desolate, not a sign of human being or human works. Thousands of little red lobsters the size of shrimps, and jelly star fish. One of each caught. Gnats, butterflies, and dragonflies flying about at 9 a.m. All the studding sails set at night. 6 a.m., sailing under closereefed fore and main topsails and standing jib. Half-past eight, more sail again. Half-past ten, made signal for a pilot. More mountains, the high ones crowned with snow. A point ahead which we are trying to round. Heavy tide running in-shore. Our cake stolen.
TIMARU AT LAST! Five houses in sight. A boat comes off with six men. They come on board and the boat is smashed against the side. Spanish Joe, the sailor, gets a ducking in slinging the boat for lifting. Shoals of porpoises round the ship. Riding with one anchor and a gale of wind blowing. Sent down all the royal yards. No accommodation for the immigrants A queer look out! The water since the morning of the 12th of a brilliant green. Several of the immigrants engaged. One short ale is 2s 6d per bottle, rum 9d a glass, tobacco 4s 6d a pound, a sheep for 1 or 1 5s.
15. The wind took off in the night and freshened again this morning. Another boat came alongside last night at 12 with seven men to look after the others. Very cold wind. Ship rolling all day in the ground swell. Served out provisions today for full week for Lyttelton; two days for Timaru. Boat left at half-past 4 p.m.
16 (Sunday). Boat came alongside at 6 a.m. with seven men, bringing off a live sheep, a leg of mutton and some grog. Hove the anchor chain straight up and down before 8 a.m. Old Jimmy pitched into the black cook and the boatswain followed suit. All in confusion. Beautiful morning, warm sun. Made sail and stood further in and anchored in 9 fathoms. The boatswain went on to the poop and made a noise and got put into irons. Had fresh mutton for dinner in the forecastle. Radishes and new potatoes brought on board.
Commenced landing passengers.
17. Finished landing passengers

On 14 Jan 1859 the English ship the "Strathallan" 551 tons, wooden ship, W. R. Williamson, arrived from Gravesend with the first significant influx of about 120 immigrants to Timaru, South Canterbury, New Zealand and she sailed for Lyttelton on the evening of 17 Jan 1859 She left the Downs on the 15 Oct 1858, a passage of 81 days. There was no harbour at Timaru, she had to anchor in the roadstead at Timaru and land her passengers. Reference:

The Strathallan arrived, 90 days out to Timaru, or 82 from land to land. She stood in boldly and dropped her anchor, the weather being very boisterous; when it cleared, on the Sunday, she stood in 3 miles further, and landed part of her passengers for that place, the next morning she landed the remainder, baggage and all, and sailed the same evening for Lyttelton. She had a few over 200 steerage passengers from London, of whom she disembarked 111 souls, bringing on the remainder.

Great expedition was shown in getting the people landed with their baggage, the whole proceeding lasting scarcely more than 24 hours. We learn that the boatmen were inclined to take advantage of the opportunity to make extravagant demands, and that they were going to charge 10s. ahead; but that they afterwards commuted it to 40 for the whole job. Mr Rhodes' wool-shed was made ready for the reception of the party, and it appears that they were lodged with tolerable comfort. What is most important is that there was no difficulty in obtaining employment, every hand, with scarcely an exception, being at once engaged. Messrs. Rhodes, we understand, provided against even temporary want of work. by offering a fortnight's employment to a very large number at once. The only accident which happened was the swamping of the last boat but one when on the beach; no serious damage was done. The Strathallan brings a full complement of cabin passengers, as well as steerage immigrants. Refer!
ence: Otago Witness 05 Feb 1859

Government immigrants who landed at Timaru

Families Single Men
Berrill, William wife, Abigail Blythe, James
Brodie, James wife, Mary Butcher, Henry
Butterworth, William wife, Emma Champion, R.
Cairns, William John wife, Elizabeth and child, Robert S. Chapman, John
Double, William wife, Sarah and 5 children: Caroline, Emily, Ann Maria, Amos, Walter Daniel Clarke, John
Healey, H. wife and child Gordon, J.
Gibson, James wife, Margaret and 4 children, James, Alexander, Rebecca A., Margaret Gordon, W.
Gibson, John wife, Sarah Harrison, Francis
Gordon, John wife, Christina and child, William, Christina, Charles, Elizabeth Hayes, George
Hammond, John wife, Mary and child, Robert Jesson, Edward
Hornsby, T. wife, Ann, and 3 children, Lamsden, James
Jones, William wife, Sarah and child, Ann Manchester, George
Kennedy, C. wife Manchester, John
Kolm, Frederick wife, Catherine Murray, William
Mackay, Robert wife, Bell and 4 children, Robina, Ann, Alexander, Christina Pollock, John
Padgett, William wife, Martha and an infant Proudfoot, James
Patterson, Thomas wife, Margaret Smith, Charles
Reed, Robert wife Stewart, John
Scarf, Robert wife, Jane Double White, Thomas
Scarf, William wife and 2 children
Shanks, W. wife Single Women

Ward, John wife, Elizabeth and child Elizabeth Chapman, Isabella
Ward, Robert wife, Elizabeth age 25, Catherine age 4
Ward, Richard wife, Catherine and child Gordon, Christina
Wade, Richard wife, Emma Gordon, Catherine
Wilson, Jojn wife, Elizabeth and 3 children, Valentine, E., Mary Ann Hayes, Isabella
Young, Albert. wife, Emma and 2 children, Emma, Louisa
Exley, Harpin wife Susan and their son Albert

Chief Cabin
For Canterbury: Rev. Chas. and Mrs. Alabaster, Mrs. and Master Bishop, Miss Alport, Miss E. Martain, Messers. Morley, Mowbray, Anson, Hepworth, and Watson. W. Lambert, Surgeon
For Otago: Messrs. Zemmlan and Bulter
For Wellington: Mr. R. Hart

Second Cabin
For Canterbury: J. Jones and W. Emery
For Otago: G. R. Pace and J. Roxworthy

For Canterbury: G. Hooper, W. Denison, R. A. Eaton
For Otago: J. Manson, P. Coghill, J. Sinclair, McWilliam, T. Lonnon, wife and 2 children

Landed at Lyttelton.

Families Single Men
Abbott, T. wife and 2 children Bainbridge, A.
Barker, Enoch and two children Emily Jane and Sarah Ann Bennett, E
Barns, W. wife and 2 children Buckley, D.
Bishop, W. wife and 2 children Chambers, J
Brightmore, W. wife and 2 children Crichton, W
W. Davison, W. wife and child Dann, J.
Douglas, J. wife Everest, W
Duff, J. wife and 3 children Fisher, R
Elliot, J. wife and 2 children Halse, H.
Fisher, Mrs and nine children Matthew, W.
Hardley, J. wife McPhail, A.
Halse, H. wife and 2 children Morris, J.T.
Humphries, J. wife and 3 children Morris, S.
Maddison , W. wife Oakley, R.
McDonald, J. wife Redfern, R.
Morey, Edward wife Charlotte King and 2 children Tobin, T.
Murfitt, J. wife and 7 children Wilson, J.
Oakley, A. wife and 3 children
Pearse, W. wife and child Single Women
Piper, J. wife and 4 children Eades, Ann
Redfern, S. wife and child Foster, Amelia
Shepherd, C. wife and 3 children Foster, Elizabeth
Smith, J, wife Hardisty, Mary
Styche, Wm. wife Holdsworth, M.
Wadsworoth, T. wife and 4 children Jackson, Ellen
Walters, N. wife King, Georgina

Lyttelton Times 22 Jan 1859
Shipping News
Arrived 21 Jan 1859, ship Strathallan, 551 tons, W.R. Williamson, from London, calling at Timaru. The Strathallan has arrived, ninety days out to Timaru, or eighty-two from land to land. As announced in our last issue, she went into Timaru on Friday last, but the statement of her getting under way again was not correct. She stood in boldly and dropped her anchor, the weather being very boisterous; when cleared, on Sunday, she stood in 3 miles further, and landed part of her passengers for that place, and next morning she landed the remainder, baggage and all, and sailed the same evening, since when she has been beating up the coast. She had a few over 200 steerage passengers from London, of whom she disembarked 111 souls, bringing on the remainder. She arrived too late and brought up at too great a distance from town to enable us to compile a list of those who have been brought ashore; but the following are those who, being shipped for Timaru, did not stay: - John Mac!
Donald and wife and Enoch Barker and family. Great expedition was shown in getting the people landed with baggage, while the whole proceeding lasting scarcely more than 24 hours. We learn that the boatmen were inclined to take advantage of the opportunity to make extravagant demands, and that they were going to charge 10s a head; but that they afterwards commuted it to 40 for the whole job. Mr. Rhodes's wool-shed was made ready for the reception with tolerable comfort. What is most important is that there was no difficulty in obtaining employment, every hand, with scarcely an exception, being at once engaged. Messrs. Rhodes, we understand, provided against even temporary want of work, by offering a fortnight's employment to a large number at once. The only accident which happened was the swamping of the last boat but one when on the beach; no serious damage was done. The Strathallan brings a full complement of cabin passengers, as well as the steerage immigrants ment!
ioned above.

Morey passengers:

Edward Morey, his wife Charlotte (nee King) and children Mary aged 15, Mira aged 13 and Elizabeth aged 9 settled in Lyttelton and later (around 1867) in Akaroa. Edward Morey was a builder and stonemason and built 3 well known churches in the area. During 1859 and 1860 he built the present Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Lyttelton. It seats 400 people and cost 3320 pounds. It is now the oldest stone church in Canterbury. He also built the present Anglican Church at Governors Bay and another at Okains Bay. Edward was active in local affairs, a keen horticulturist and a leader in the Odd Fellows Lodge. He also ran a business in Jollie Street, Akaroa where he sold first class bricks, glazed drain pipes, flower pots, vases, pans etc. For further information on the Morey and Oakley families, on the 1858/9 sailing please contact Denys Delany Posted 19 Nov. 1998

Notes for Charlotte King:
Buried 16 Mar 1894 Picton, MBH, NZL

Children of Edward Morey and Charlotte King are:
2i.Mary Emma Morey, born 16 Jan 1844 in Wymering, HAM, ENG.
3ii.Martha Mira Morey, born 13 Sep 1846 in Wymering, HAM, ENG; died 15 May 1914 in Richmond, Nelson, Nelson,NZL.
4iii.Elizabeth Morey, born 29 May 1850 in Wymering, HAM, ENG; died 26 Dec 1922 in Timaru, CBY, NZL.
5iv.Ellen Ann Morey, born 26 Apr 1857 in 6 Providence Place, Oxford Road, Reading, ENG; died Bef. 12 Oct 1858.
6v.Helen Ann Morey, born 24 Apr 1858 in 6 Providence Place, Oxford Road, Reading, ENG; died 03 Oct 1930 in Nelson, Nelson, NZL.
7vi.Henry Edward Morey, born 13 Apr 1860 in Lyttelton, CBY, NZL; died 26 Jun 1860 in Lyttelton, CBY, NZL.
8vii.Alfred Roelof Morey, born 21 Dec 1861 in Lyttelton, CBY, NZL; died 02 Apr 1868 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL.
9viii.Anne Charlotte Morey, born 30 Apr 1864 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL; died 10 Aug 1932 in Auckland, AKD, NZL.

Generation No. 2

3. Martha Mira Morey was born 13 Sep 1846 in Wymering, HAM, ENG, and died 15 May 1914 in Richmond, Nelson, Nelson,NZL. She married Mello Schenkel 10 Feb 1862 in Parish Church, Lyttleton, CBY, NZL. He was born 05 Dec 1833 in Utrecht, Eastern, NLD.

Notes for Martha Mira Morey: Akaroa Moreys say she was born at Worcester, ENG

Notes for Mello Schenkel: Naturalised NZL citizen 01 Jan 1861

Children of Martha Morey and Mello Schenkel are:
10i.Elizabeth Helen Schenkel, born 23 Jan 1863 in Lyttelton, CBY, NZL; died 03 Apr 1940 in Nelson,NZL. She married (1) Adolphus Fredrick Spencer; died 06 Apr 1937. She married (2) Martin Jensen 20 Sep 1883 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL; born 1854 in Denmark; died 1948 in Waitara, TNK, NZL.

Notes for Elizabeth Helen Schenkel:
Burial Place Blk 39, Plot 73,Wakapuaka,Nelson,NZL.

11ii.Alice Katherine Schenkel, born 16 Sep 1864 in Lyttelton, CBY, NZL; died 08 Nov 1915 in Picton,NZL. She married George Semple Johnson 29 Jun 1885 in Parish Church, Lyttleton, CBY, NZL; born 1875 in Cincinnati, OH, USA; died 17 Sep 1952 in Blenheim, South Island,NZL.
12iii.Roelofe Morey Schenkel, born 26 Jan 1866 in Lyttelton, CBY, NZL; died 21 Mar 1940 in Lyttelton, CBY, NZL. He married Mary Christina Arthur 09 May 1888 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL.
13iv.Edward Mello Schenkel, born 02 Jan 1868 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL.
14v.Ernest Alfred Schenkel, born 31 Dec 1868 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL.
15vi.Harry Holst Schenkel, born 04 May 1870 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL; died May 1870 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL.
16vii.Arthur King Schenkel, born 05 Sep 1872 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL; died 02 Mar 1936. He married Alice Helen Moore 04 Nov 1903 in Parish Church, Havelock,NZL; born 1878 in Havelock,NZL; died 24 Apr 1965.
17viii.Selvia Holst Schenkel, born 20 Sep 1872 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL; died 04 Jan 1873 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL.
18ix.Ada Schenkel, born 1873 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL; died 10 Nov 1947. She married (1) Alfred John Pope 21 Jun 1901 in Parish Church, Havelock,NZL. She married (2) August Hugo Sixtus 16 Oct 1928 in Parish Church, Queen Charlotte, Marlborough,NZL.
19x.Annie Schenkel, born Sep 1875 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL; died 06 Feb 1876 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL.
20xi.Ella Schenkel, born 11 Jul 1882 in Christchurch, CBY, NZL; died 24 May 1956.

4. Elizabeth Morey was born 29 May 1850 in Wymering, HAM, ENG, and died 26 Dec 1922 in Timaru, CBY, NZL. She married Emanuel Octavius Holst 19 Dec 1867 in Parish Church, Akaroa, CBY, NZL. He was born 25 Oct 1836 in Aalborg, Denmark, and died 24 Aug 1887 in Wreck Recamia, Kaipara Harbour, NLD, NZL.

Notes for Elizabeth Morey: Akaroa Moreys say born Portsmouth, HAM, ENG

Children of Elizabeth Morey and Emanuel Holst are:
21i.Emanuel Julius Holst, born 12 Jan 1869 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL.
22ii.Alfred Emanuel Holst, born 14 May 1871 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL.
23iii.Harold Emanuel Holst, born 26 Feb 1874 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL.
24iv.Edward William Holst, born 11 Dec 1878 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL.
25v.Percy Emanuel Holst, born 03 Feb 1884 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL.

6. Helen Ann Morey was born 24 Apr 1858 in 6 Providence Place, Oxford Road, Reading, ENG, and died 03 Oct 1930 in Nelson, Nelson, NZL. She married George Austin 16 Feb 1878 in Parish Church, Akaroa, CBY, NZL. He was born 24 Apr 1856 in Cranbrook, Kent, ENG, and died 11 May 1919.

Notes for Helen Ann Morey:
NZL Certificates Collection: Edward Morey 02 Oct 1930 death of daughter Helen Ann (Morey) Austin, Nelson, NLN, NZL, folio 00116, relative. KLN Akaroa: NZSG Certificates Collection: Helen Ann (Morey) Austin, death 02 Oct 1930, Nelson, NLN, NZL, folio 00115.KLN Akaroa.

Children of Helen Morey and George Austin are:
26i.Helen Rose3 Austin, born 29 Oct 1878 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL.
27ii.Cecily Sara Austin, born 13 Sep 1886 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL.
28iii.Cedric George Austin, born 28 Dec 1891 in Northcote, Melbourne, VIC, AUS.
29iv.Daisy Ella Austin, born 29 Dec 1897.

9. Anne Charlotte Morey was born 30 Apr 1864 in Akaroa, CBY, NZL, and died 10 Aug 1932 in Auckland, AKD, NZL. She married Charles Edward Type 16 Dec 1881 in Parish Church, Christchurch, CBY, NZL. He was born 1856 in Broadmead, Bristol, ENG, and died 23 Sep 1923 in Auckland, AKD, NZL.

Children of Anne Morey and Charles Type are:
30i.Charlotte Adelaide3 Type, born 05 Sep 1882 in Christchurch, CBY, NZL.
31ii.Edward Allan David Type, born 18 Jan 1884 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL.
32iii.Ernest Austin Type, born 28 Sep 1885 in Christchurch, CBY, NZL.
33iv.Edward Charles Type, born 14 Sep 1887 in Lyttleton, CBY, NZL.
34v.Hazel Ross-Moyne Type, born 1896 in Pidgeon Bay, CBY, NZL.

Kind regards, Geoffrey Williams

Morey Forum, New Zealand

Important Note:
The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you would like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above and respond on the board.

This thread: