MORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > MORGAN > 2001-05 > 0990636846

From: "Stewart Baldwin" <>
Subject: Re: [MORGAN] Mordecai Morgan update
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:54:06 -0500

Harold Morgan <> wrote:

>Some of us discussed Mordecai Morgan (b 1753 in Frederick Co,
Virginia, d
>1813 in Henry Co, Kentucky) several months past.

I am curious what evidence there is for the 1753 birthdate. The
reason for that is that the Joseph Morgan who is sometimes given as
Mordecai's father died before 8 February 1748/9, so that if the
claimed parentage of Mordecai Morgan is correct, then the claimed
birthdate of Mordecai Morgan must be wrong.

My notes show an INVENTORY (but no will) of Mordecai Morgan's estate,
dated 11 Nov. 1813, in Henry co., KY Will Book 2, p. 58. He also
appears in the records of nearby Bourbon county. On 23 June 1792,
Mordecai Morgan of Bourbon co., KY bought 112+ acres from Jacob Starns
of Madison co., VA for £40 [Bourbon co. Deed Book B, p. 280], and on
Mordecai Morgan of Clark county, Virginia [sic, should probably be KY]
and Martha his wife sold the same 112+ acres to Jacob Wilson of
Bourbon county for £224 [Bourbon co. Deed Book D, p. 159]. If I
recall correctly, Mordecai also appears on some Clark county Tax
lists.

So is there any evidence for that birthdate, or is it just somebody's
wild guess?

Stewart Baldwin

This thread: