MORGAN-L Archives

Archiver > MORGAN > 2003-06 > 1056813199

From: Janice Morgan <>
Subject: [Morgan] Joshua Morgan of Wilkes County, NC
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:13:19 GMT

Joshua and Ann Morgan were witnesses to two Wills, one for
Johnathan Richardson (1772) and one for Thomas Richardson
(Oct. 1772), two years apart in Bedford County, VA. They were still
there 8 months later when Thomas died and the Will was proven by oaths
of Joshua and Ann Morgan 24 May 1773.
Also, a Joshua Morgan is shown in the 1772 through 1775 Tax
Lists for Cumberland Parish, Lunenburg County Virginia (Bedford County was formed from Lunenburg County in 1754.)
At this same time, the Joshua who married Elizabeth Clay is
listed in Mecklenburg County on property given to him by
Elizabeth's Father. The Joshua who married Mary Hearne stayed
in Maryland. The Joshua, son of Edward, son of John Dorian Morgan
shows up in Pasquotank County, NC in 1823 where he was at odds with
the Quaker Church (Our Joshua died in 1811 so it couldn't be him)
Information is very scant on the John Dorian, Joshua. There are
some Joshua Morgans in PA, MA and CT all of which show up on
Census or Tax Lists after our Joshua is shown in NC. There is a
Joshua Morgan in SC who married Ann Caples but there is evidence he died in SC in 1799.
There is a William and Elizabeth Morgan in North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, VA who names a Joshua Morgan in his Will. This
William died in 1727 so if our Joshua is his son he would
have been raised without a father. Some researchers connect this
William with other Morgans in early Colonial VA but proof is in SHORT supply.
One thing that makes me believe this might be our Joshua is a sale
of Land by Joshua Morgan to a Richard Price of North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, VA. recorded in Virginia Land tranfers about the
time Joshua would be an adult.
If all the above is creditable, Ann and Joshua's children, some of them at least, would have been born in Virginia, possibly, Lunenburg County. I have not found any proof of this except in 1772 Joshua is charged with 2 tithes while living in Lunenburg County. (Tithes: all males over 16 and under 60.)In 1774 and 1775 he is back to one tith.
No explanation known unless one son, perhaps John, is out on his own.
There is evidence that many of the residents of Wilkes County migrated from Richmond, Bedford, and Lunenburg Counties also. Allen, Hood, Harmons, Hammons, Ellis, Richardsons, Parks/Parkes and other Morgans. Coincidence? I don't think so. Joshua's daughter, Nancy married Isaac Norman from Culpeper County, VA. Joshua's daughter Sarah married Thomas Hood from Halifax, VA. Joshua's grandson, Ezekial, maried Kisiah Norman sister to Isaac above. Joshua names his very good friend, Ambrose Parkes as Co-Executor of his Will. Ambrose came from Culpeper County. VA.
Most of this is speculative with some foundation in fact but to me
is creditable.
I would appreciate any comments to prove or disprove.

Janice Morgan

This thread: