MORROW-L Archives

Archiver > MORROW > 2001-07 > 0995730863

From: "Morrow" <>
Subject: Re: [MORROW-L] Re: Anne Morrow
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 11:54:23 -0400

Most Morrow families that lived in the same areas as Anne Morrow Lindbergh's
ancestors seem to have family legends linking her to their family trees. In
fact, some who were never close have the same legends, too. My own family
has the same legends and was very close geographically, even including a
branch that was in Huntington, WV, at the same time as her father and
grandfather. I've never found a provable link.

The best account I've seen of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's ancestry is in the
book:
Alexander Morrow 1745-1817 of Brooke County, (W)Virginia and His
Descendants; compiled by Anne Morrow Nees and edited by her brother, George
Lester Morrow, it was published in 1993 by Gateway Press of Baltimore.

Basically, the key lines are these:
Alexander Morrow came from Northern Ireland to America in 1792/3, with his
wife, Susan Cassidy, and their seven children, all born in Ireland. One
daughter was already married. Her husband, Robert Morehead, and one child
also came at the same time.

By 1796, Robert Morehead was in Brooke County, one of two counties north of
Wheeling in West Virginia's northern panhandle. At the time, of course, it
was still Virginia. By 1799, at least two of Alexander's sons were also
there and Alexander Morrow had joined St. John's Episcopal church in Brooke
County by 1800. He and his sons, John, William, James and Alexander (Jr)
bought 500 acres in 1803. The land is said to be immediately on the
Pennsylvania state line (since the panhandle is only ten miles wide, it
couldn't have been far!).

Alexander and Susan are buried in the St. John's churchyard, east of
Follansbee, WV (and Steubenville, OH). [My own first-immigrant Irish
ancestor, Charles Morrow, lived briefly in Steubenville about 1816-17.
Earlier, he served in the War of 1812 from Bucks County, PA]

The book's compiler and editor descend from Alexander's eldest son, John
Morrow, who married Eleanor Welch. They had at least eight children. John
and Eleanor are also buried in the St. John's churchyard.

[Note: The authors also explicitly address errors in Worth Ray's Tennessee
Cousins where it shows Alexander as a descendant of Daniel Morrow, who
settled in Norfolk, VA, in the 1640's. Tennessee Cousins seems to be more
widely available in libraries than most Morrow family histories.]

William, died in 1839, age 70, buried at St. John's.

Margaret, wife of Robert Morehead, died in 1848, and is buried in Keene
Presbyterian Cemetery, Coshocton County, OH.

James, who married twice (Ruth Davis, 1809, and Nancy Elliott, 1813).

Alexander, Jr, married Susannah Welch. They, too, are buried in the st.
John's churchyard.

Nancy, who married Samuel Logue -- the authors note that Alexander's will
names her as Nancy "Mittoe" -- a name they cannot otherwise account for.

Elizabeth married David Pollack ("Poke" in Alexander's will).

Anne Morrow Lindberg descends from James and Nancy (Elliott) Morrow.

James died in 1825, leaving no will. His first marriage is believed to have
been childless, although there is doubtful evidence of a daughter named
Rachel; the second produced at least six children, of whom six lived to
adulthood. Sons Charles, Aaron, and James Morrow all lived in Washington
County, PA, in 1849, when they and other heirs of James Morrow sold their
inherited property.

Alexander Morrow, second of James' four sons, remained in the West Virginia
panhandle. In 1850, he lived in New Manchester, Hancock County, which was
later renamed Fairview. He was a blacksmith and later proprietor of a
Fairview hotel until his death in 1871; his widow, Sarah Jane, sold the
hotel in 1873.

Their eldest son (of eight children) was James Elmore Morrow, born in
Fairview, 1837. He married Clara Johnson in Cumberland, MD, in 1867. He died
in Englewood, NJ, in 1904, where his son, Dwight Whitney Morrow, then lived.
He was buried in Uniondale Cemetery, Allegheny County, PA.

James Elmore Morrow was, in modern terms, an educator. Dwight W. Morrow was
the fourth of his eight children [Also noted is the erroneous addition of
four other children to this family in "Tennessee Cousins."] He was most
widely known for his tenure as president of Marshall College in Huntington,
WV. The Morrow Library at Marshall University is named for him. Late in his
career, he served as principal of Allegheny High School in Pennsylvania.

Dwight Morrow was born in Huntington in 1873. He died in 1931, at 58. The
New York Times page one story of his death begins: "Dwight W. Morrow, United
States Senator, former Ambassador to Mexico, former partner in J.P. Morgan &
Co., and repeatedly mentioned in the past two years as a candidate for
President of the United States, died unexpectedly . . ."

Anne Spencer Morrow, Charles Lindbergh's wife, was second of the Dwight
Whitney Morrow's four children. She had one brother and two sisters. She met
her husband when he was visiting Mexico as part of his celebratory tour
following his famous trans-Atlantic flight.

I have the book, which is well indexed. If you can name an ancestor you
believe was related, I will be glad to see if they are named in this book.
As noted above, there are many coincidences of time and geography between
this family and my own, but I cannot find a link.

Duncan Morrow