MOTEXAS-L ArchivesArchiver > MOTEXAS > 2005-11 > 1130898531
Subject: Re: Parsons, Eliott, Kirkman, 1880s
Date: 1 Nov 2005 19:28:51 -0700
This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
Surnames: Parsons, Kirman
Message Board URL:
Message Board Post:
From a family memoir written in the 1930’s by John Clarence Parsons, son of John Elkanah
Right after the war, John E. Parsons married Sarepta Floyd, the daughter of Harmon Pickney Floyd, an offshoot of the Floyds of Virginia, no doubt. She was a sickly woman, which means she was an invalid or near an invalid. Soon after his marriage, he and his wife moved to Texas County, Missouri, near Houston, the county seat. Some of his relatives were there. One of them was a contractor, for I remember seeing a letter from one, supposed to be an uncle, who said that he was building a courthouse somewhere in Missouri.
About this time, two children were born to the marriage. There was a daughter named Lucretia Isabel Parsons and a son, unnamed, who [both] died before 1880. They moved back to Tennessee.
At least two uncles, George and Joseph Parsons, and two aunts, Malinda, who married Frederick Dawson Elliott, and Jane, who married Thomas Sherwood Kirkman, moved their families to this area. Houston was burned twice during the Civil War and rebuilt only slowly afterward. None of the Parsons family stayed in the area more than one generation.
John Elkanah Parsons is shown with that name, living in McNairy County TN in 1850 with Isabel Corsa (Causey) and Anna Corsa, 62. John Clarence Parsons always refers to Isabel as his father’s mother, and Jane and Lydia Parsons as aunts, but I have not been able to confirm a marriage. He had no siblings.
Here is John’s line:
Descendants of John Elkanah Parsons
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN ELKANAH2 PARSONS was born June 25, 1846 in North Carolina, and died July 26, 1919 in DeRoche, Hot Spring County Arkansas. He married (1) SAREPTA ANN FLOYD March 4, 1869 in McNairy County, Tennessee, daughter of HARMON FLOYD and LUCRETIA THOMAS. She was born July 10, 1852 in McNairy County, Tennessee, and died January 16, 1882 in DeRoche, Hot Spring County Arkansas. He married (2) MARY CLEMENTINE NEIGHBOURS September 16, 1883 in DeRoche, Hot Spring County Arkansas, daughter of JAMES NEIGHBOURS and MARY ELLIS. She was born February 4, 1850 in Mississippi, and died February 1926 in Arkadelphia, Clark County Arkansas.
Children of JOHN PARSONS and SAREPTA FLOYD are:
ii.LUCRETIA ISABEL PARSONS, b. October 9, 1872, Texas County Missouri; d. 1873, Texas County, Missouri.
Children of JOHN PARSONS and MARY NEIGHBOURS are:
2.iii.CLARENCE3 PARSONS, b. June 6, 1884, DeRoche, Hot Spring County, Arkansas; d. December 1979, San Bernardino County California.
iv.DALE PARSONS, b. December 21, 1886, Hot Spring County Arkansas; d. December 25, 1955; m. (1) MAGGIE NICHOLS, Abt. 1910; m. (2) ZADA M. CROW, July 22, 1913, Clark County Arkansas; b. December 19, 1889, DeRoche, Hot Spring County Arkansas; d. October 24, 1968, Midway, Hot Spring County Arkansas.
3.v.VOLLIE EARL PARSONS, SR., b. September 2, 1888, De Roche, Hot Spring County Arkansas; d. March 13, 1975, Weleetka, Okfuskee County Oklahoma.
4.vi.MARVIN M. PARSONS, b. March 14, 1892; d. December 1962, Texas.
Generation No. 2
2. CLARENCE3 PARSONS (JOHN ELKANAH2, JONATHAN W.1 FIELD) was born June 6, 1884 in DeRoche, Hot Spring County, Arkansas, and died December 1979 in San Bernardino County California. He married LILLIAN THORNBURG BOWMAN. She was born October 4, 1889, and died September 1929 in San Bernardino County California.
Child of CLARENCE PARSONS and LILLIAN BOWMAN is:
i.PATRICIA HARDMAN4 PARSONS, b. October 15, 1917; m. (1) JACK W. ANDERSON; m. (2) DON JENSEN, 1954; b. June 30, 1917, Utah; d. February 27, 1995, Los Angeles, California.
3. VOLLIE EARL3 PARSONS, SR. (JOHN ELKANAH2, JONATHAN W.1 FIELD) was born September 2, 1888 in De Roche, Hot Spring County Arkansas, and died March 13, 1975 in Weleetka, Okfuskee County Oklahoma. He married (1) MARY LILLIAN JACKSON 1911, daughter of WILLIAM JACKSON and VIOLA WESCOTT. She was born December 1, 1894 in Como, Henry County Tennessee, and died December 14, 1992 in Buffalo, Wyoming. He married (2) LUCILLE MAHAN Aft. 1935.
Notes for MARY LILLIAN JACKSON:
She married again, but names are unknown. No known children. She moved to Buffalo in 1933. All facts here taken from leaves remaining from a (disappeared) family bible.
Children of VOLLIE PARSONS and MARY LILLIAN JACKSON are:
i.AUDREY MAE4 PARSONS, b. December 18, 1913; d. Bef. 1990, Buffalo, Wyoming.
Notes for AUDREY MAE PARSONS:
Married several (4?) times, no known children.
5.ii.VOLLIE EARL PARSONS, JR., b. December 22, 1915, Arkadelphia, Clark County Arkansas; d. October 24, 1991, Arkadelphia, Clark County Arkansas.
6.iii.MARIANNE PARSONS, b. February 22, 1925.
Child of VOLLIE PARSONS and LUCILLE MAHAN is:
7.iv.LIONEL EUGENE4 PARSONS, b. January 25, 1941, Weleetka, Okfuskee County Oklahoma; d. November 12, 1969, Quang Tin Province, Viet Nam.
4. MARVIN M.3 PARSONS (JOHN ELKANAH2, JONATHAN W.1 FIELD) was born March 14, 1892, and died December 1962 in Texas. He married JEWEL BLAIR.
Child of MARVIN PARSONS and JEWEL BLAIR is:
8.i.MARJORIE MAXINE4 PARSONS, b. July 21, 1916; d. March 15, 1996, California.
Generation No. 3
5. VOLLIE EARL4 PARSONS, JR. (VOLLIE EARL3, JOHN ELKANAH2, JONATHAN W.1 FIELD) was born December 22, 1915 in Arkadelphia, Clark County Arkansas, and died October 24, 1991 in Arkadelphia, Clark County Arkansas. He married (1) BETTY ANN VILLARS December 4, 1937 in Faulkner County Arkansas. She was born 1917. He married (2) MARY PENCE December 31, 1940 in Conway, Faulkner County Arkansas, daughter of JOHN HUGH PENCE and BESSIE MARTIN. She was born September 1, 1915 in Conway, Faulkner County Arkansas.
Notes for VOLLIE EARL PARSONS, JR.:
He was the first psychiatrist in private practice in Little Rock, AR. Graduated University of Arkansas Medical school, entered through examination; no college degree. Interned, St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Washington DC.
Children of VOLLIE PARSONS and MARY PENCE are:
9.i.PENELOPE5 PARSONS, b. February 23, 1944, Washington, D.C..
10.ii.HUGH PENCE PARSONS, b. November 19, 1945.
iii.PATRICK PARSONS, b. March 24, 1950.
6. MARIANNE4 PARSONS (VOLLIE EARL3, JOHN ELKANAH2, JONATHAN W.1 FIELD) was born February 22, 1925. She married (1) GEORGE WEBER LEWIS February 1940. She married (2) JAMES HERZOG Aft. 1946.
Children of MARIANNE PARSONS and GEORGE LEWIS are:
11.i.GARY WILLIAM5 LEWIS, b. July 13, 1941.
12.ii.RONALD WAYNE LEWIS, b. May 13, 1943.
7. LIONEL EUGENE4 PARSONS (VOLLIE EARL3, JOHN ELKANAH2, JONATHAN W.1 FIELD) was born January 25, 1941 in Weleetka, Okfuskee County Oklahoma, and died November 12, 1969 in Quang Tin Province, Viet Nam. He married JUDY ALICE JOINS.
Children of LIONEL PARSONS and JUDY JOINS are:
i.MICHELLE LYNN5 PARSONS, b. Abt. 1965.
ii.MICHAEL EUGENE PARSONS, b. Abt. 1967.
8. MARJORIE MAXINE4 PARSONS (MARVIN M.3, JOHN ELKANAH2, JONATHAN W.1 FIELD) was born July 21, 1916, and died March 15, 1996 in California. She married THOMAS P. WEIR, SR. in Houston, Harris County Texas.
Children of MARJORIE PARSONS and THOMAS WEIR are:
i.THOMAS P.5 WEIR, JR..