MSCLAIBO-L Archives

Archiver > MSCLAIBO > 2009-10 > 1254931083

From: "Sue Moore" <>
Subject: [MSCLAIBO] Civil War diary
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:58:03 -0500

Rebecca Drake of Raymond and I are working on reprinting with annotations the six-weeks diary of Elizabeth Meade Ingraham who lived near Willow Springs when Grant marched through in May 1863 on his way to the siege of Vicksburg. It will be non-profit, with proceeds going to the Champion Hill battlefield preservation.

Elizabeth wrote the dairy for her daughters who fled upon the approach of the army. Most of the time, she obscures identities by using initials, but occasionally she uses a surname.
I am trying to identify and footnote as many of these residents as possible, and need your help. If you have information on these folks during that period of time, please email me at or reply to the forum.

Some of the names mentioned in the brief diary are the following:
McGilvray family
James M. Maury
Dr. Robert Emmett Maury
Martha Archer Conger Tucker