MSMONROE-L Archives

Archiver > MSMONROE > 2000-08 > 0966735916

From: "Huffman" <>
Subject: [MSMONROE-L] Whitfield Guards/43rd MS Infantry
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 20:45:16 -0500

After fifteen years combined research, Scott Bell and I are still looking
for letters, diaries, and photos of Monroe Countians who served in Co. C
("the Whitfield Guards Rifles") of the 43rd MS Infantry.

If you are a descendant of these proud Southern Patriots and have any info
to share, please contact me!

Scott and I are members of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and have sworn a
solemn oath to produce a first-rate regimental history AT COST to interested
purchasers. We will not profit one penny from this venture. We couldn't.
We've both already spent literally thousands and thousands of dollars on
various research costs! We are doing this simply to honor our ancestors!

Please contact us if you are related to any of the following members of the
Whitfield Guards, even if only to help us with what the initials of these
men's names mean:

Company C

"Whitfield Guards"

Aberdeen, Monroe County

Captain John W. Vesey

1st Lieutenant Robert E. Baker

1st Lieutenant Richard Harrison

1st Lieutenant V.L. Vesey

1st Lieutenant Needham J. Whitfield

2nd Lieutenant William Penn Davis

2nd Lieutenant James T. Dilworth

2nd Lieutenant J.T. Holloway

1st Sergeant R.A. Pennal

2nd Sergeant William A. Atkins

2nd Sergeant A.P. Boyd

2nd Sergeant Clarence T. Gifford

2nd Sergeant Richard L. Lagrove

4th Sergeant William R. Baker

4th Sergeant Richard Bell

4th Sergeant R.J. Hogan

4th Sergeant J.T.H. Ramage

5th Sergeant Silas R. Helton

5th Sergeant James M. Roberts

5th Sergeant Eugene Paul Sale

5th Sergeant John B. Walton

2nd Corporal C.C. Webb

3rd Corporal James A. Andrews

4th Corporal William Fuqua

Privates:

John C. Allen

James M. Anglin

F.M. Beeks

Charles Jefferson

Jesse W. Bloodworth

W.G. Bolling

Samuel W. Bowden

John W. Bowen

George J. Boyd

Leroy K. Brassfield

A.L. Bryant

William C. Campbell

Hugh Carr

John D. Carter

William B. Carter

William B. Cheek

John W. Cone

T.J. Couch

Robert D. Cunningham

W.T. Darden

James Jackson Davis

McF. (full name unknown) Davis

G.T. Dilworth

H.T. Dollar

J.M. Dowdle

George F. Egger

Elbert W. Eikner

I.R. Elam

H.H. Evans

James Fennel

William C. Finley

John D. Flynt

J.T. Flynt

Geoge W. Fowlkes

Joseph A. Fowlkes

Alfred N. Franklin

Henry Fuqua

James M. Fuqua

Levi T. Gallaway

William Gibson

James Gideon

William R. Gideon

T.T. Grady

James M. Green

John B. Grizzle

William Harper

Isham Harris

James A. Harris

William S. Harris

W.T. Harris

William H. Hawley

B.W. Higgs

E.T.P. Hill

J.W. Holliday

Ira G. Holloway

James E. Holloway

Jeremiah Holloway

T.O. Jones

J.W. Justice

Thomas B. Justice

W.S. Kidd

A. Kraus

Johnathan Adam Lagrove

D.R. Lyles

Hugh B. McKeown

Preston M. McVay

C. McWilliams

Elijah Melton

J.G. Minnis

Thomas Montgomery

A.C. Moore

John L. Murphy

Thomas A. Murphy

Van Buren Nash

Columbus M. Neal

Sampson Nelson

I.N. Northcut

E.A. Palmer

James Allen Parrish

J.H. Pattison

James J. Pearce

William Pearce

William A. Pearson

Daniel Phillips

Thomas I. Phillips

William D. Phillips

Fair Posey

G.W. Rathbone

James J. Reese

George L. Reid

B.F. Riggan

J.L. Riggan

James S. Riley

William M. Roberts

Augustus W. Rogers

Francis M. Rogers

Richard T. Rogers

J.C. Rye

George W. Saunders

Joseph J. Sawyer

John R. Sims

Julius Caesar Sims

William H. Sims

Byron W. Smith

Thomas A. Smith

Allen Spotts

Benevill Spotts

Charles Stoelker

Samuel A. Strawhun

James A. Thompson

Richard T. Thompson

Kenneth P. Trull

Alfred W. Tubb

Benson Tubb

Jeptha Tubb

James M.L.W. Tubb

John Tubb, Jr.

John L. Tubb

James L. Tubb

William Walter Tubb

William Turcle

Thomas W. Vensey

E.T. Verner

William E. Verner

Francis W. Vesey

Virgin A. Vesey

Bluford Westbrook

W. Westbrook

J.W. Westbrook

James N. Wirthent

J.T. Woodruff

William Wren

In case you were wondering just what this regiment did during the war, here
is the official capsule history of the 43rd MS Infantry, taken from the
"Bible of MS Confederate History," Dunbar Rowland's 1908 "Military History
of Mississippi, 1803-1898." Note that even Rowland, who was a member of the
Sons of Confederate Veterans and first Director of the Dept. of Archives &
History -- which was charged with documenting MS's Confederate History in
its charter -- could not give a complete listing of the companies that
comprised the regiment! That is how undocumented this regiment is! Scott
and I have come to call it the "Ghost Regiment," because so little DETAILED
information has survived to tell its heroic story. If you can help us fill
in the gaps in the "Bloody 43rd's" heroic narrative, either with photos,
letters, diaries, or family/oral tradition, please contact me!

"FORTY-THlRD REGIMENT.

Colonels--William H. Moore, Richard Harrison.
Lieutenant-Colonels -- Richard W. Leigh, Richard Harrison, Columbus Sykes,
James O.
Banks.
Majors--Richard Harrison, Columbus Sykes, James O. Banks.
Adjutant-- W. E. Sykcs, mortally wounded at Decatur, Ala., 1864.

No data for list of companies (final statendents) A, B, C, D, F, G, H,I,K,L.

Company B, of Lowrides County.
Captain--J. M. Billups.

Company F, of Lowndes County.
Captain--J. P. Hampton.

Company L, Gholson Rebels, of Monroe County, organized 30 April, 1862.
Captains--Samuel J. Gholson, promoted General State troops; H. J. B. Lann.
First Lieutenant--H. J. B. Lann.
Second Lieutenant--James Moore.
Third Lieutenant--N. Green Pennington.
This was an independent company with General Little's Brigade until it was
attached to
the Forty-third Regiment before the siege of Vicksburg.

Company I, of Lowndes County.
Captain--J. O. Banks.

There are no other data in this department for a list of companies.

Colonel Moore, commanding his regiment at Gainesville, was ordered
August 7, 1862, to Tupelo, the headquarters of Gen. Sterling Price. The regiment, with the
Seventh Battalion, was assigned to Gen. M. E. Green's Brigade of Hebert's Division
of the army of General Price, occupying Eastern Mississippi after the removal of Bragg's
army to Chattanooga. At the battle of Corinth, October 3-5, the casualties of the
regiment were 13 killed, 56 wounded.and 156 missing. General Green reported that in the
attack on the 3d against the outer line of the Federal army, he could see his whole line and
could not distinguish betweert the regiments which behaved the most gallantly.
Lieutenant-Colonel Leigh was killed while gallantly leading his wing of the regiment. In the
attack upon the inner line and the town, on the 4th, Green commanded the division and
Colonel Moore the brigade. Moore's Brigade led in the attack and advancing desperately,
against a destructive fire of infantry and artillery, forced their way through the works and into
the heart of the town. Green reported: "Colonel Moore, I fear, was mortally wounded, while
leading the Third Brigade on a charge in town. He fell near the depot and was left on
the field."
The regiment was in Hebert's Brigade, Maury's Division, January, 1863. One of the
strongest regiments on the Vicksburg line in February, 483 effective present, Colonel
Harrison commanding. In April Gcn. John C. Forney was assigned to command of
division, headquarters at Snyder's Bluff, on the Yazoo. Hebert's Brigade was stationed at Snyder's Bluff, and from Haynes' Bluff to the Mississippi, including Chickasaw Bluffs, when Grant's army landed below Vicksburg, and remained there until Pemberton returned across the Big Black from the battle of Baker's Creek, when, on the night of May I7-18, Hebert's men marched to Vicksburg and thence to take their place in the trenches east of the town, the right of the brigade across the Jackson road and the left in the main redan on the Graveyard road. They were just in time to meet the advance of the Union troops on the latter road, and on that
road the artillery fire began that evening, May 18, which was continued every day with increasing severity until July 4. A heavy assault was made on May 22, and repulsed. On
June 25, when the first mine was exploded under the works held by General Forney, "six men of the Forty-third Mississippi Regiment, who were in a shaft countermining at the time of the
explosion, were buried and lost." The Forty-third was in the trenches next to this redan.
The attempt of the enemy to occupy the breach was defeated. By this time the Federal
works were advanced so close and elevated that the men of this brigade were obliged to
work incessantly night and day repairing the parapets and constructing new lines. They
were also exposed to the fire of a mortar on the Jackson road. July 1 another mine
explosion destroyed the main redan near the Jackson road, but no attempt was made to
storm. July 4th, in accordance with the terms of surrender, the brigade stacked arms in
front of their line, and marched to bivouac in the rear of the works, where they were
paroled. The brigade had 2,186 paroled: 219 had been killed, 455 wounded. The casualties
of the Forty-third, Col. Richard Harrison commanding, were 25 killed, including Lieut. M.
D. L. Hodo, and 33 wounded. Pound's Battalion of Sharpshooters, Capt. M. Pound commanding, formed from the Forty-third Regiment, accompanied Ector's Brigade of Walker's Division to Georgia after the fall of Vicksburg, and participated in the battle of Chickamauga,
fighting in the same part of the field September 19, 1863, on which Walthall's Brigade was
engaged. After this battle the brigade was ordered back to Mississippi.
In February, 1864, the Forty-third was being equipped for the field at Columbus, and
one company was attached to Colonel Holland's command. The regiment, except the men
not exchanged, was ordered to Meridian, whence Polk fell back to Demopolis February
11. But Lieutenant-Colonel Sykes' detachment was on duty at Columbus later in the
month and in the field along the Tombigbee River during the raid of Sooy Smith.
February 29, from Demopolis, order that Colonel Harrison report "with his regiment as
infantry" for assignment to Featherston's Brigade. May 5, 1864, ordered to report to
General Loring for brigade assignment.
The regiment, Col. Richard Harrison commanding, arrived at Resaca, Ga., May 11, as a part of the brigade of Gem John Adsins (formerly Tilghman's), Loring's Division, Army of
the Mississippi, Lieut.-Gen. Leonidas Polk commanding. After Polk was killed at Kenesaw
Mountain, the army became known as A. P. Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee. Adams'Brigade participated in the defence of Resaca and the New Hope Church and
Kenesaw Mountain lines, was in the battle of July 28 near Atlanta, and served in the
trenches about that city until the evacuation September 1.
A pleasant incident of the campaign was the presentation of a flag May 29, 1864, from
Miss Helen Cozart, of Columbus, to "Colonel Harrison and his gallant Forty-third as a
slight token of the appreciation felt for the unflinching discharge of their duty in their
country's defense."
In the October, 1864, campaign on the Chattanooga and Atlanta Railroad, Loring's
Division, including Adams' Brigade, captnred the garrison at Acworth, October 4, marched as far north as Dalton, thence through the mountains to Gadsden, made a demonstration against Decatur, and moved to Tuscumbia. Crossing the Tennessee River, November 20, they marched to Columbia and participated in the march to Spring Hill. November 30 they followed closely the Federal retreat to Franklin, and in the evening joined in the assault upon the
works. General Adams was killed upon the parapet of the inner line while leading the
brigade, which had 44 killed, 271 wounded, 22 missing. After reaching the line in front of
Nashville, the brigade of six regiments had an effective strength of a little over 1,000.
Gen. Loring's Division was distinguished for steadiness during the disastrous battle of
Nashville, December 15-16. The remnant of the Army of the Mississippi was the last to
recross the Tennessee River, December 28, and early in January headquarters were
established at Tupelo.
About the first of February, Lorimg's Division began the movement to reinforce
General Johnston in the Carolinas. They were ordered forward from Augusta, Ga., to
Newberry, S. C., February 25. In the Carolina campaign under General Johnston against
General Sherman they participated in the battle of Kinston, March 10, and the battle of
Bentonville, March 19-21, on the 19th making a gallant and successful charge. Organization of army of General Johnston, near Smithfield, N. C., March 31, 1865, shows Major-General Walthall in command of Stewart's Corps, Adams' Brigade commanded by Col. Richard Harrison, the Forty-third Regiment by Mai. James O. Banks. April 9 the Fifth, Fourteenth and Forty-third Mississippi were consolidated as the Fourteenth, Col. Robert J. Lawrence commanding. Hostilities were suspended April 18, the army surrendered April 26 near Durhanx Station, and paroled at Greensboro."

We have a small website up and running for the 43rd at
www.43rdmississippi.homestead.com/index.html.

If you are interested in capsule histories of the 43rd and other MS units,
please go to the MS Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans, homepage at
www.mississippiscv.org (click on the "Mississippi History" tab).

For membership in the SCV, go to www.scv.org or call 1-800-MYSOUTH.

For information in the United Daughters of the Confederacy, go to
www.hqudc.org.

Thank you, Monroe County, for any assistance you can give us in uncovering
and preserving the noble story of these Southern Patriots. Help us
celebrate their "Heritage of Honor"! I do this work in honor of Capt. Henry
James Gully, captain of the Kemper Blues, which went out from Kemper in
1861, and 1st Lt. (acting captain for most of the war) of the Kemper
Fencibles, which served until the very end of hostilities! Henry was my
GGG-grandfather. Deo Vindice! ("God vindicates!"). -- Jim Huffman,
Co-Historian, 43rd MS Infantry, CSA. (If you need to snail mail me, I'm at
1230 Stemwood Drive, Picayune, MS 39466.)

This thread: