MSTISHOM-L Archives

Archiver > MSTISHOM > 2012-05 > 1337721199

From: "Brian Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [MSTISHOM] Stanley & related families in Tishomingo, Prentiss,Alcorn
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 17:13:19 -0400

Thanks. I believe the tombstone is the correct Jonathan or John G. Stanley,
but as you say, it looks relatively new so it must have been erected long
after his death. He died about 1920 and was referred to as Jonathan, John,
and J.G. in different records. The 1840 birth year is definitely wrong, but
could have been a guess by whoever ordered the stone. By the time it was
ordered, his wife and most of his children were either dead or had moved
away.

I think he was born in July 1847, based on the 1850 Census saying he was
two. It is certain that he was younger than siblings James T. and Sarah and
they were born in 1842 and around 1845.

Unfortunately, there is no death certificate on file for him or for his 2nd
wife Martha Jane Floyd Stanley. I am sure that other family members were
buried at Clausel Hill but do not have existing tombstones. There were some
deaths from typhoid fever, tuberculosis, and malaria in that era and
sometimes in those cases they rushed to bury the dead to try to avoid the
disease. Quite a few members of the extended family died between 1920 and
1923 or so, and those death records are either hard to find or do not give
much information.

The family seems to have moved around in the region where Prentiss, Alcorn,
and Tishomingo come together, so they sometimes show up in SE Alcorn around
Jacinto, sometimes in NE Prentiss around Clausel Hill, and sometimes in
western Tishomingo County, near Paden or Leedy.

Do you know what funeral home or undertaker would have served that general
area back in the early 1900s, and whether there might be some records from
that source?

Thanks again,

Brian Martin