MUIR-L Archives

Archiver > MUIR > 2001-01 > 0980470210

From: "Vernon Taylor" <>
Subject: [MUIR] Anna MUIR Ostrander and Comm. General of NY State, b 1792 d 1832, buried NYMarble Cemetery
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:50:10 -0800

Anna MUIR OSTRANDER b.3 Mar 1781, Albany, Albany, NY married John Isaac OSTRANDER ca 1800. They had at least 12 children. She died 18 Aug 1865, Syracuse, Onondaga, NY at the home of a son and is buried in Tully Cemetery, Tully, Onondaga, NY. The family had moved there in 1832 from Albany. John was an Attorney.

Alexander, her younger brother was baptized in Albany, 7 Feb 1792. He married Glorianna READ in NYC on 26 March 1814. He died of cholera on 13 July 1832 and is buried as shown above. This is an interest cemetery in that is consists of marble rooms built 10' below ground. The vault was purchased by Alexander and cemetery records show 20 people buried there.

I'm hoping someone can give my additional information on the following people:
1. Ann MORRISON MUIR, widow of William MUIR, died 25 Aug. 1831, age 74. Believed to be mother of Ann and Alexander and probably the first one in the vault since the cemetery opened that year.
2. Alexander, himself, with dates given above. He was serving as the Commissary General of NY State. My husband, a retired Army man says this would have been the State Militia and a very big job, sort of like chief of all logistics.
3) John READ MUIR, son of Alexander, died 1 Dec. 1841, age 21, Brooklyn.
4) Glorianna READ MUIR, widow of Gen. Alexander, also died 1 Dec 1841, but in Morristown, NJ, age 46.
5. Glorianna BURTUS READ, died 10 Feb 1844, age 80 yrs. Married 12 Oct.1785, NYC, mother-in-law of Gen Alexander and C.M. GODWIN or GOODWIN.
6. Alexander MUIR, son of Alexander, died in South one year ago; reinterred 12 June 1851.
7. Susan M. MUIR, died Norwalk, 4 Nov. 1860, pulmonary consumption. (Have no idea of her relationship).
8. Anna OSTRANDER MUIR VAIL, died 26 Oct. 1862, 43 yrs.10 mo.,14 days, Newburgh, in childbirth. (Have no idea of her possible relationship)
9. Alex MUIR, son of late Gen. Alexander M. Muir, died 17 May 1871, Born NY, age 48 yrs.

The cemetery trustee is looking for direct descendants of General Alexander so are we. We have a miniature painted on ivory of a military man which dates from this period, who was said to be Gen. Alexander. We'd like to confirm that and would be greatful for leads on any of these people.

We have letters from Anna's youngest son,then living in New York, referring to some of these people. Will have to reread them to see if we can make them fit.

Sorry for the length. Hoped to help someone else who might also be looking for one or more of these folks.

Karen Tuley Taylor

This thread: