MULLANEY-L Archives

Archiver > MULLANEY > 2003-01 > 1042287293

Subject: P. Mullaney in 1854
Date: 11 Jan 2003 05:14:53 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/TI2.2ACEB/60

Message Board Post:

I stopped to look at the graves in a small old cemetery near San Andreas, Calaveras County, California, not far from my home. Only a few headstone's were left as many were made out of wood but this one had been carved by a P. Mullaney for a friend or relative and reads as follows:
James Sheran
who came to his death by the fall of a bank of South Fork 9th day of Dec 1854
{in large letters}
Native of Ireland
County Mayo
at the bottom right hand side
car.P. Mullaney
They were digging or panning for gold along either the Calaveras or Mokelumne river when the wet bank caved in on his friend and this Mullaney carved the stone for his companion. I am posting this in hopes that it will be a clue for someone who may be searching for a distant relative and be able to locate an area that he was in during this time. Happy hunting.

This thread: