MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2001-05 > 0989480419

From: Stephen Baines <>
Subject: [Mar] Re: Truelove [was Capt. Henry WATSON, Hull, YKS 1812-1831
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:40:19 +0100 (BST)

Ann,

With regard to Henry Watson, it will be tricky, I
expect to trace him, unless there are ships Muster
Rolls for Hull or S. Shields extant which may contain
a reference. There may be references in the Ship
Register Transcripts for either of these ports.

As for Truelove of Hull, she is one of the classic
merchant ships, and you are lucky to have a
connection. She was built in Philabelphia in 1764,
captured by the British in the War of America
Independence. Converted to being a whaler she made
almost 80 whaling voyages, killing over 500 whales.
She ended her days as a hulk on the Thames, bring
broken up about 1895.

In the Hull Maritime Museum there is a watercolour of
the Truelove, as well as a pottery bowl commemorative
of the vessel, one of the harpoons, etc

Stephen
Colchester UK

I've been subscribed to the list for a couple