MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2003-06 > 1056664614

From: "David Asprey" <>
Subject: Re: [Mar] Admiralty Floating Dock tow to Malta
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:58:05 +0100

on June 22, 2003 10:10 AM John Rowsell wrote

<<<<<
I'm a new subscriber- can anyone help please? I'm tying to find out the
names of the tugs which towed an AFD to Malta. There were, I believe, two
docks towed there. First in June to Aug 1925, towed in two halves; second in
July/Aug 1939. There were probably 4 tugs on each tow, and they may have
swapped over in Gib to other tugs. Some, if not all of the tugs were RN
Saint class. Any help, or pointers would be appreciated.

I cannot do better than forward the following response from Dr Ian Buxton:

<<AFD 8 was originally a German floating dock, taken over by Britain
after WW1. A new mid section was built at Chatham in 1924 increasing
its capacity to lift 65000 tons. The German part left Sheerness on 1
June 1925 in tow of RETORT, RESOLVE, ROYSTERER, ST CLEARS, ST DAY,
ST MELLONS. It arrived at Malta on 27 June. The new section left on 1
Aug 1925 in tow of RETORT, RESOLVE, ST CLEARS, ST MELLONS, ST KITTS,
arriving 22 Aug. The sections were then joined at Malta, and used to
dock battleships.

The second tow was not to Malta but to Alexandria, AFD 5 in 1939.>>

David Asprey

This thread: