MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2004-09 > 1096143674

From: "Hugh Watkins" <>
Subject: HMS Bullfinch and PAYNE and schooner JULIA and HMS Unknown was Re: [Mar] Danish Monarch
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 20:21:14 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Thompson" <>
To: "Hugh Watkins" <>
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 2004 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Mar] Danish Monarch

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the swift reply. Looks like you have found him on the 1871 census, also John Henry Payne was my gt
> grandfather. John Payne, born in Dorset, was his cousin, also his brother in law. I had more info about Danish
> Monarch, built by Whigham Richardson June 1878. Owned by John Wood's of West Hartlepool.
>
> Thanks for the info, you have done be a real favour in finding my gt grandfather, I have been looking for him
> for ages in 1871. Still looking for him in 1901 along with my grandfather Albert Thompson who sailed together.
>
> Cheers
>
> Anne
>

> Hugh Watkins wrote:

========00 copy paste accident prented posting to list
be cautious

Census Records matches for John Henry Payne = Subscription Required (Sign Up!)
36 total matches found in All Records > Census Records

Results per page 10 20 50
Viewing 1-4 of 4

Titlematches | info

1871 England Census 8
1891 England Census 14
1891 Wales Census 3
1901 England Census 11

=======================================

1871 England Census
Viewing records 1-8 of 8 matches for:
John Henry Payne

« Global Search Results

NameAge in 1871BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/IslandView Image

Henry John Payne12 Newington, Surrey, EnglandSon St Mary Newington London
John Henry Payne40 Colchester, Essex, EnglandHead St Giles Essex
John Henry Payne19 St Peter; Maldon, Essex, EnglandSon St Peter Essex
John Henry Payne10 Gloucestershire, EnglandSon St Aldgate Gloucestershire
John Henry Payne30 Gretton, Northamptonshire, EnglandHead Corby Northamptonshire
John Henry Payne7 Northn, SyreshamSon Syresham Northamptonshire
John Henry Payne36 Cromer, Norfolk, EnglandMaster Vessels Suffolk
John Henry Francis Payne16 Brixton, Surrey, EnglandSon Lambeth London

Does the age and birthplace match?

Name: John Henry Payne
Age in 1871: 36
Estimated birth year: 1835
Relation: Master
Household: View other family members
Gender: Male
Where born: Cromer, Norfolk, England

Civil parish: Vessels
Town: River Woodbridge
County/Island: Suffolk
Country: England

Street address: View image
Condition as to marriage: View image
Education: View image
Employment status: View image
Occupation: View image

Source information: RG10/1759
Registration district: Woodbridge
Sub-registration district: Woodbridge and Wilford
ED, institution, or vessel: Julia
Folio: 217
Page: !! (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 1

================
1871 England Census
Viewing records 1-4 of 4 matches

« Global Search Results

NameAge in 1871BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/IslandView Image

Joseph CoomerSINGLE 17 Runton, Norfolk, EnglandOrd Seaman Vessels Suffolk
John HartMARRIED 45 Cromer, Norfolk, EnglandMate Vessels Suffolk
Samuel LawrenceSINGLE 19 Cromer, Norfolk, EnglandOrd Seaman Vessels Suffolk
John Henry PayneMARRIED 36 Cromer, Norfolk, EnglandMaster Vessels Suffolk

==============================
You are here: Search > Census > UK Census Collection > 1871 England Census > Suffolk > Vessels > District Julia

the Cromer mate *could* be a cousin or in law ???

You are here: Search > Census > UK Census Collection > 1871 England Census > Suffolk > Vessels > District Julia > View Descriptionof
Enumeration District

JULIA

Number 24874
belongs Wells

tonnage 70

Schooner
Coasting

25 March 1871 Woodbridge Suffolk

midnight April 2nd
"Woodbridge" river

no one absent on shore

==================================

U.K. Census Collection matches for John Payne
and keyword Piddletrenthide =
4 total matches found in All Records > U.K. Census Collection

Results per page 10 20 50
Viewing 1-2 of 2

Titlematches | info

1871 England Census 2
1901 England Census 2

1871 England Census
Viewing records 1-2 of 2 matches for:
John Payne

« Global Search Results

NameAge in 1871BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/IslandView Image

John Payne3 Piddletrenthide, Dorset, EnglandSon Piddletrenthide Dorset
John Payne29 Piddletrenthide, Dorset, EnglandLeading Stoker Vessels Royal Navy

=============== bombay harbour ===============

Name: John Payne
Age in 1871: 29
Estimated birth year: 1842
Relation: Leading Stoker
Household: View other family members
Gender: Male
Where born: Piddletrenthide, Dorset, England

Civil parish: Vessels
Town: Bombay Harbour
County/Island: Royal Navy
Country: England

Street address: View image <<< LINK is BROKEN -- reported
Condition as to marriage: View image
Education: View image
Employment status: View image
Occupation: View image

Source information: RG10/5779
ED, institution, or vessel: Bullfinch
Folio: 127
Page: 4 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 1

===========

crew of 91 HMS BULLFINCH

1871 England Census
Viewing records 1-50 of 91 matches

« Global Search Results1 2 Next

NameAge in 1871BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/IslandView Image

John Allen30 Malla, ValettaAssistant Suycon Vessels Royal Navy
Jack Andrews45 Africa, Kroo CoastHead Krooman Vessels Royal Navy
George H Barton20 Isle of Wight, Hampshire, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Thomas Batterson26 Landport, Hampshire, EnglandStoker Vessels Royal Navy
Alexander Beattie32 Manchester, Lancashire, EnglandEngineer Vessels Royal Navy
James Betham26 St Matthew Ipswich, Suffolk, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Giles Blackwell25 Lambeth, Surrey, EnglandPrivate Rm L I Vessels Royal Navy
Henry Branson36 Salisbury, Wiltshire, EnglandStoker Vessels Royal Navy
John E Brenchley32 Sheerness, Kent, EnglandEngine Room Arlifine Vessels Royal Navy
Henry W Campion25 East Indi, Fort William CalcuttaWaoj Sub Lieult Vessels Royal Navy
John Canllier30 Africa, Sierra LeoneKrooman Vessels Royal Navy
William Carter22 Norwich, Norfolk, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Arthur H Chambers17 Limehouse; London, Middlesex, EnglandBoy 1st Class Vessels Royal Navy
Robert Charles23 Richmond, Surrey, EnglandPrivate Rm L I Vessels Royal Navy
William H Clarke21 Lambeth; London, Middlesex, EnglandStoker Vessels Royal Navy
Frederick Coates34 Wareham, Dorset, EnglandCaptains Steward Vessels Royal Navy
Joseph Consens22 South Brent, Somerset, EnglandPrivate Rm L I Vessels Royal Navy
Thomas Coulter17 Plumstead, Kent, EnglandBoy 1st Class Vessels Royal Navy
David Davis35 Stoke, Kent, EnglandCaptains Coxswain Vessels Royal Navy
Alexander Dowie33 Dundee, Angus, ScotlandQuarter Master Vessels Royal Navy
George Edgecombe32 Devonport, Devon, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Walter Edom31 Anglesey, Hampshire, EnglandCarpenters Crew Vessels Royal Navy
Francis Edwards31 Malmesbury, Wiltshire, EnglandQuarter Master Vessels Royal Navy
Robert Flux16 Partsea Partsmouth, Hampshire, EnglandBoy 1st Class Vessels Royal Navy
Walter Foster30 Rye, Essex, EnglandAct Of Ships Cook Vessels Royal Navy
James Fraser30 Inverness, ScotlandEngineer Vessels Royal Navy
Antonio Gabriel22 Trmcomalee, Sri LankaEngineers & Wart Officer Cook Vessels Royal Navy
Charles Gladwell19 Great Clacton, Essex, EnglandOvd T Vessels Royal Navy
William Gurney38 Sunderland, Durham, EnglandShipwright Vessels Royal Navy
Joseph Harris24 Salisbury, Wiltshire, EnglandStoker Vessels Royal Navy
Richard Harris28 Barnstaple, Devon, EnglandGunner Rw A Vessels Royal Navy
Frederick Hart17 St Pauls Chichester, Sussex, EnglandBoy 1st Class Vessels Royal Navy
Edward Haswell22 Portsmouth, Hampshire, EnglandLeading Seaman Vessels Royal Navy
James E Hawke27 Stonehouse, Devon, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Thomas Hayter28 Chichester, Sussex, EnglandStoker Vessels Royal Navy
Arthur Hegarty19 Cork, Cork, IrelandSegnalman Of Class Vessels Royal Navy
William Henwood37 Devonport, Devon, EnglandGunner Of Class Vessels Royal Navy
Henry J Hill26 Twickenham, Middlesex, EnglandPrivate Rm L I Vessels Royal Navy
Charles K Hope23 Haverny Grange Romford, Essex, EnglandSub Lieutenant Vessels Royal Navy
Essex Hughes28 Mathery, Pembrokeshire, WalesStoker Vessels Royal Navy
George Hunt38 Chichester, Sussex, EnglandChief Engineer Vessels Royal Navy
John C Javage30 Africa, Sierra LeoneKrooman Vessels Royal Navy
Moses Johnson23 Africa, Lierza LeoneCa;ck;as Vessels Royal Navy
Robert Johnson27 Norwich, Norfolk, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Robert Johnstone21 Chelmsford, Essex, EnglandCorpoval Vessels Royal Navy
Frederick Jones27 Eastbourne, Sussex, EnglandArmourers Crew Vessels Royal Navy
Frederick W Jones27 St James; London, Middlesex, EnglandSailmaker Mate Vessels Royal Navy
John Joy31 Tunbridge Wells, Kent, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Joseph Ledger23 Chatham, Kent, EnglandStoker Vessels Royal Navy
Edward F Lodder44 Southampton, Hampshire, EnglandCommander Vessels Royal Navy

1871 England Census
Viewing records 51-91 of 91 matches

« Global Search ResultsPrev 1 2

NameAge in 1871BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/IslandView Image

Louie Mahomed1 Island of Johanna, MozambiqueJuterpreter Vessels Royal Navy
Alfred Mann19 London, Middlesex, EnglandOrdf Vessels Royal Navy
Robert May32 Coventry, Warwickshire, EnglandStoker Vessels Royal Navy
William G Michael24 Cape of Good Hope, Simons BayAsst Seek Berth Attt Vessels Royal Navy
William J Miles26 Landport, Hampshire, EnglandLeading Seaman Vessels Royal Navy
Henry Moreye32 Locks Green, Hampshire, EnglandCaulkers Mate Vessels Royal Navy
William O'Brien20 Abbotsbury, Dorset, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
John Osborne30 Africa, Sierra LeoneKrooman Vessels Royal Navy
Philip Palmer26 Lynn, Norfolk, EnglandPrivate Rm L I Vessels Royal Navy
Henry Parks29 Fareham, Hampshire, EnglandLeading Seaman Vessels Royal Navy
John Payne29 Piddletrenthide, Dorset, EnglandLeading Stoker Vessels Royal Navy
George Phillips22 Dawlish, Devon, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Alexander Plunkett19 Liverpool, Lancashire, EnglandOrdf Vessels Royal Navy
Peter Poisson18 St. Saviour, Jersey, Channel IslandsSignal Boy Vessels Royal Navy
George Powell29 Orsett, Essex, EnglandGunners Mate Vessels Royal Navy
Thomas Powell25 Limehouse, London, EnglandMusician Vessels Royal Navy
John F Rule31 Streatham, Surrey, EnglandAssistant Paymaster Vessels Royal Navy
James Salvin16 Partsea Pootsmouth, Hampshire, EnglandSignal Boy Vessels Royal Navy
Jeremiah Scanlan25 Cloyne Cork, IrelandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Thomas Searle43 Kingsbridge, Devon, EnglandLeading Stoker Vessels Royal Navy
Abraham Senton21 Trincomalee, Sri LankaWd;r;ck Vessels Royal Navy
David Skuse24 Dublin, Dublin, IrelandLeading Seaman Vessels Royal Navy
John Smith26 Buckfastleigh, Devon, EnglandShip's Stewards Assistt Vessels Royal Navy
Joseph Smith22 London, Middlesex, EnglandEngineers & Wart Offes Servant Vessels Royal Navy
Henry A Street26 New Brunswick, CanadaLieutenant Vessels Royal Navy
Jack Sunday23 Africa, Sierra Leone2nd Head Krooman Vessels Royal Navy
Charles Thomas19 Repton, Derbyshire, EnglandSo 2nd Class Vessels Royal Navy
William S Thorpe28 Edith Weston, Rutland, EnglandGunner Rm A Vessels Royal Navy
Samuel Tillman27 Redleag, Kent, EnglandLeading Stoker Vessels Royal Navy
Tom Toby32 Africa, Kroo CoastKrooman Vessels Royal Navy
Nanny Tomby28 Trincomalee, Sri LankaWard Room Steward Vessels Royal Navy
Thomas Usker18 Waterloo, Lancashire, EnglandOrdf Vessels Royal Navy
Walter Wale32 London, Middlesex, EnglandBoatswains Mate Vessels Royal Navy
William Walton18 Retbrook, Yorkshire, EnglandOrdf Vessels Royal Navy
Matthew Was22 East Indies, Goa PortugeseCa;ck Vessels Royal Navy
Thomas Watts24 Harwich, Essex, EnglandAb Vessels Royal Navy
Joseph We Willan29 Liverpool, Lancashire, EnglandPrivate Rm L I Vessels Royal Navy
William Willett29 Wexford, Wexford, IrelandChief Carp No Mate Vessels Royal Navy
Thomas Williams18 Liverpool, Lancashire, EnglandOrdy Vessels Royal Navy
John Witt27 Salisbury, Wiltshire, EnglandPrivate Rm L I Vessels Royal Navy
Levi Woodford35 Southampton, HoundePrivate Rm L I Vessels Royal Navy

<< obviously some typos
-- no sailmakers -- the musician may also be the schoolmaster for the boys -- seen in other lists

1901 England Census
Viewing records 1-2 of 2 matches for:
John Payne

« Global Search Results

NameAge in 1901BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/IslandView Image

John Payne59 Piddletrenthide, Dorset, EnglandHead Devonport Devon
John Payne33 Piddletrenthide, Dorset, EnglandHead Charminster Dorset

Name: John Payne
Age in 1901: 59
Estimated birth year: abt 1842
Relation: Head
Household: View other family members
Gender: Male
Where born: Piddletrenthide, Dorset, England

Civil parish: Devonport
Ecclesiatical parish: St Budeaux
County/Island: Devon
Country: England

Street address: 10 Coldeennok ?? Terrace
Condition as to marriage: View image
Education: View image
Employment status: View image
Occupation: View image

Source information: RG13/2112
Registration district: Devonport
Sub-registration district: Stoke
ED, institution, or vessel: 19
Folio: 10
Page: 11 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 66

======================

1901 England Census
Viewing records 1-10 of 10 matches

« Global Search Results

NameAge in 1901BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/IslandView Image

John GerryWIDOWER 63 NAVVYTamerton Foliott, Devon, EnglandBoarder Devonport Devon
Ada E J Payne15 Asconown, IslandDaughter Devonport Devon
Agnes E J Payne11 Wyke, Dorset, EnglandDaughter Devonport Devon
Alice M M Payne13 Devonport, Devon, EnglandDaughter Devonport Devon
Charles S Payne8 Devonport, Devon, EnglandSon Devonport Devon
John Payne59 PENSIONER Piddletrenthide, Dorset, EnglandHead Devonport Devon
John C Payne19 NAVVY Devonport, Devon, EnglandSon Devonport Devon
Lilian M Payne6 Devonport, Devon, EnglandDaughter Devonport Devon
Mary A Payne38 Blandford, Dorset, EnglandWife Devonport Devon
Fred Rollett21 NAVVY Ashcombe, Devon, EnglandBoarder Devonport Devon

===================

if you want anymore you better subscribe

RG10/5779

1871 England Census
Viewing records 1-50 of 2,974 matches

1871 England Census
Viewing records 1-50 of 2,974 matches

« Global Search Results1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next >>

NameAge in 1871BirthplaceRelationshipCivil ParishCounty/IslandView Image

A Ting ChinaN R Cook Vessels Royal Navy
Acheong Stoker Vessels Royal Navy
Achick ChinaStoker Vessels Royal Navy
Achune Stoker Vessels Royal Navy
Afat Stoker Vessels Royal Navy

snipped

You are here: Search > Census > UK Census Collection > 1871 England Census > Royal Navy > Royal Navy > District Caledonia
image OK

You are here: Search > Census > UK Census Collection > 1871 England Census > Royal Navy > Royal Navy
1871 England Census
Please choose an enumeration district in Royal Navy:

previous vessels missing images

District Cadmas View description of enumeration district

snipped

District Royal Oak View description of enumeration district
District Royalist View description of enumeration district
District Salamis View description of enumeration district
District Saren View description of enumeration district

District Unknown << RG10/5780 ??? page 5
20 ordinary seamen
http://content.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7619&iid=NVYRG10_5779_5782-0080

View description of enumeration district << location of records

the "not on board list" has 6 in gaol LOL

any one know waht vessel Coomodore 2cl Fk H Stirling age 42 born W Australia
was serving on Sunday April 2nd 1871 ?

then we can tell ancestry

enjoy

Hugh W