MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2004-11 > 1100690405

From: "JOHN STEVENSON" <>
Subject: Re: [Mar] OVINGTON wrecked in Clyde 1889
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:20:05 -0000

Good morning Nivard,
OVINGTON. ON 67385.
Iron Screw Steamer
Built August 1883 by Osborne ,Graham & Co., sunderland.
607GRT.
187.0ft L, 28.3ft B, 14.4ft D.
Compound steam engine and one single ended boiler operating at 80lbs/sqin
pressure supplied by Christie, Gutch & Co., North Shields.
One deck, well deck, five bulkheads.
Owners : Hine Brothers , Custom House Building's, Maryport, Cumberland.
Port of Reg : Newcastle

1888. New boiler fitted.
1889 In collision with SS QUEEN VICTORIA and was sunk. Vessel on passage
Glasgow/Hamburg with cargo of charcoal/amonia/general.

William & Alfred Hine learned the shipping business in Liverpool and
returned to their native Maryport around 1872 operating sailing vessels they
already had shares in.
They bought their first steamship in 1877 and became a "tramp ship" company.
In 1889 they owned ten steamers and seven sailing vessels ranging from the
86 GRT IVY HOLME to FERN HOLME of 1710 GRT
The majority of their vessel's names carried the suffix HOLME and were built
by Thomson at Sunderland
It could be that OVINGTON was built "on spec" by her builders hence the
"non company " name or bought second hand from other owners and her original
name retained.
I'm sure one of the guy's from Teeside will know the answer
As you will obviously know OVINGTON is village in Norfolk and there is an
OVINGTON HOUSE on Isle of White - neither of which relate to Maryport !!

Regards.
John.

John D.Stevenson,
Sunny spells, SW F4, 10C
Edinburgh.

Nivard Ovington wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Having an interest in the name OVINGTON I found some time ago
> reference to a ship that sank in the Clyde in 1889 and wondered how
> it came to have the name?

This thread: