MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2004-11 > 1100703046

From: "Nivard Ovington" <>
Subject: Re: [Mar] OVINGTON wrecked in Clyde 1889
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:50:46 -0000

Dear John

Many thanks for your authoritative answer, very much appreciated

Indeed all the more impressive as you have answered my posting before I
actually received my question via the list <vbg>

> Good morning Nivard,
> OVINGTON. ON 67385.
> Iron Screw Steamer
> Built August 1883 by Osborne ,Graham & Co., sunderland.
> 607GRT.
<snip>

> It could be that OVINGTON was built "on spec" by her builders hence the
> "non company " name or bought second hand from other owners and her
original
> name retained.
> I'm sure one of the guy's from Teeside will know the answer
> As you will obviously know OVINGTON is village in Norfolk and there is an
> OVINGTON HOUSE on Isle of White - neither of which relate to Maryport !!

Yes indeed there are other villages named Ovington, the one I am reputed to
be named after being near Barnard Castle.

Many thanks again for your help, as you suggest, I do hope that someone has
further information on this ship and the reason for naming her.

Best wishes Nivard Ovington Cornwall (UK)

This thread: