MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2005-03 > 1111247014

From: "Barry Johnson" <>
Subject: DUCHESS OF BEDFORD
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:43:36 -0000

A friend of mine was evacuated to Canada aboard the DUCHESS OF BEDFORD in
1940. (See also my posting "US built escort carrier, 1944".)

He has a book, written and published during the War, in which is narrated an
encounter between this ship and a U-boat, during which the latter was sunk
by gunfire from the liner.

I told him I didn't believe it, as I'd never heard of it, and such an
incident would have been widely reported and frequently referred to in
histories, like the epic encounter between the US Liberty ship STEPHEN
HOPKINS and the German surface raider STEIR.

Was I just showing my ignorance? Did it actually happen?

Barry Johnson

This thread: