MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2005-03 > 1111253132

From: "Ted Finch" <>
Subject: Re: [Mar] DUCHESS OF BEDFORD
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:25:32 -0000

Barry,

From "Canadian Pacific" by George Musk -

The DUCHESS OF BEDFORD left Liverpool for Boston on 7th Aug.1942. Two days
out of Liverpool in heavy seas, a U-Boat was sighted about 400 yards astern.
Captain Busk-Wood altered course and opened fire at a range of only 100
yards. The first shell hit the water and ricochetted the length of the
U-Boat. The second struck abaft the conning tower with a terrific explosion.
Two more direct hits were scored, one entering the hull and the other
hitting the conning tower. Immediately after these hits, the U-Boats bow
rose 30 degrees out of the water and she sank. A second u-Boat was sighted
shortly afterward, but after three rounds from the BEDFORD, she submerged
quickly. For this action, the captain was made an OBE.

If this is a true account, I don't think there is much doubt that the U-Boat
was sunk.

regards
Ted