MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2005-03 > 1111315480

From: "Barry Johnson" <>
Subject: RE: [Mar] DUCHESS OF BEDFORD
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:44:45 -0000

Thanks very much, Ted. That's exactly the same account as the one my friend
has in his war-time book, which I took to be propaganda.

I must say, I'm not entirely convinced. Neither Clay Blair not Kenneth Wynn
refer to the incident, and no U-boat sinking has been ascribed to the
BEDFORD. Paul Kemp gives a day-by-day record of U-boat sinkings, showing
U-612 sunk by collision in the Baltic on 6 Aug; on the same day, U-210 was
rammed and sunk by HMCS ASSINIBOINE in the N.Atlantic; on 9 Aug, U-379 was
also rammed and sunk by HMS DIANTHUS. Both warships were escorting SC94.
No U-boat is recorded as sunk on 8 Aug.

However, Wynn notes that U-704 missed the BEDFORD in the early morning of 8
Aug 42. As this boat survived the War, to be broken up in 1947, it couldn't
be the one "sunk" by the BEDFORD. That's the only time she was attacked,
according to Wynn.

Rather less clear-cut than Capt. Fryatt's epic WW1 feat! (Though at least
Capt. Busk-Wood didn't share in Capt. Fryatt's fate - execution when
captured later.)

Barry