MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2005-05 > 1116273158

From: "Jocelyn" <>
Subject: Re: [Mar] Captain F. CREAGH OSBOURNE R.N.
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 05:53:44 +1000

Hi Joan,

I found something on the net - I am presuming the name is Francis
Creagh-Osbourne?

If this is not correct, please let us know where your Captain was born,
where he served or some other clues

This site below seems to be written by a direct relative -

http://www.crosborne.co.uk/home/tree/

http://www.crosborne.co.uk/home/tree/creagh.htm

Here is part of what I found:

Between the Michael Creagh who fought at the Boyne and my great-great
grandfather Michael Creagh were at least two John Creaghs (father & son born
1720 and 1750) and there must be one or two more generations but I haven't
got names.
Moving forwards again to my great Grandfather Charles Creagh he was brought
up by his great aunt Lady Osborne after his mother (Elizabeth Osborne, Lady
Osborne's niece) died at sea on her way to the West Indies in 1833 (possibly
to join her husband?) when Charles was 10 years old. She had no son of her
own and asked Charles to take the name Osborne when she died in 1856 as a
condition of inheriting some of the family fortune (long since frittered
away!) - he then became Charles Creagh-Osborne.
Like his father Charles went into the army - 86th Regiment Royal Irish
Rifles, rose to Lt.General and command of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment.
In 1866 he married and had had at least six children although one died as a
child.
My grandfather Frank Osborne Creagh-Osborne was the eldest born 1867. He
lived more in England than Ireland, joined the navy, married twice, was
involved in early (pre-great war) aviation, ended up in charge of Greenwich.
His first wife produced one daughter then died. He then married his
secretary at Greenwich who was much younger than him (slight scandal) and
had two sons - Richard C-O and Francis C-O my father.
The last vestige of the Irish estates was a derelict warehouse in Cork sold
off by my Uncle Richard in the sixties.
There are a few Creagh's sprinkled all over the place - presumably we all go
back to the three brother who beat up the Vikings!

And this:

Elizabeth
Jane
Ann
ROBERTS
(1930- )
m.
(1) Francis
CREAGH-OSBORNE RN
(19??-1957)
(Killed flying)
|--------------------+-------------------|
-1 Roger
CREAGH-OSBORNE
(1957- )
m.
Jane
BAKER
(19??- )
-- Issue Clare
CREAGH-OSBORNE
(1955- ) Fiona
CREAGH-OSBORNE
(1957- )
m.
Raphael
del
AGUILA
(19??- )
-- Issue

You can email the website owner:

http://www.themuirfamily.com/tree/00000090.html

Also:

http://hem.passagen.se/waterat/impression-of%20the-505.htm

You might have some luck by contacting this Roger Creagh Osbourne:

Mrs. & Mr. Roger Creagh Osborne from UK travelled to Jaipur-Jodhpur-Pushkar
& Rafting Camp Hammock in Rishikesh between 06.10.2003 to 17.10.2003.
E-mail: ,

Cheers
Jocelyn