MARINERS-L Archives

Archiver > MARINERS > 2008-02 > 1203518969

From: Peter Monks <>
Subject: Re: [MAR] Training Ship Shaftesbury
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:49:29 -0500

Greetings,

May I suggest that the training ship may have been a different name under
the auspices of the Shaftesbury Homes. From the book "The Chance Of A
Lifetime, The Shaftesbury Homes And Arethusa--150 Years"
1866 Chichester first ship and Lord Shaftesbury became the first patron.
1874 Arethusa, second ship.
1889 Chichester sold. Ballerina of Cowes purchased and renamed Chichester.
1917 Chichester sold.
1932 SV Peking purchased to replace the Arethusa.
1933 Peking renamed the Arethusa.
1975 Arethusa sold to South Street Seaport Museum. Ketch named Arethusa
kept.

I am an ex Arethusa boy of the 4 masted barque ex Peking, 1950's era.

Peter