McCARTY-L Archives

Archiver > McCARTY > 2002-10 > 1034876646

From: John McCarty <>
Subject: [McCARTY-L] Joseph McCarty
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:44:12 -0700 (PDT)

In a message dated 10/16/02 3:56:51 PM Central
Daylight Time,
writes:

> John W. McCarty b. 12 Nov 1838 OH

What part of Ohio? I keep thinking this has to lead
back to the
Nicholas or
Silas line, but I cant find it.

Kathy "Kath" (Burden) Shaffer
Omaha, NE

We too are searching for more information on a John
McCarty in
Lancaster Co.
PA. Our John McCarty was born abt 1796 -- we think in
Lancaster Co.
He
married Mary Parmer who was, we believe, the daughter
of John Henry
Parmer
and Mary Dague. John and Mary Parmer McCarty were
parents (not proven)
of
Henry McCarty, b. 7 March 1829 in Lancaster Co. Henry
moved on to
Sterling,
Il (Whiteside Co.) and after mustering out of service
following the
Civil
War he moved on to Tama Co. Iowa.

There are many John McCartys in PA so this makes for
difficult proving
of
facts. We believe they were in the Upper Leacock,
Earl,
Townships...possibly in Trinity Lutheran Church in New
Holland.

I'd appreciate any help with this family.
Vicki McCarty

Kath, I suspect it was Ross County, but I haven't
found him listed anywhere.

Vicki, your John McCarty would be 14 years older than
my first John McCarty. They could have been brothers,
but it seems very unlikely that the parents would name
two children John. However, your John could well have
been a brother to my Joseph. Unfortunately John is a
very common name! The only real contribution I can
make is this ( from a Wapello County history, Chapman
Bros., 1887):

John McCarty, of Highland Township, owns and occupies
160 acres of good land on sections 29 and 32, where he
has established a comfortable homestead, and in the
pursuit of agriculture has met with fair success. He
was born in Pennsylvania in 1809, and is the son of
Joseph and Catharine (Livingston) McCarty, natives of
the above-named state. They removed to Virginia when
John was a lad of twelve years old, locating in
Lexington, Rockbridge County, where they remained
until 1821, thence went to Ross County, Ohio, where
our subject remained fifteen years, then started for
the farther West, and coming into Iowa, decided to
settle in Wapello County. He first purchased a farm
on section 19 of Highland Township, which he occupied
for six years and which he afterwards disposed of,
securing the place which is his present homestead.
The marriage of John McCarty and Miss Catharine
Anthony took place October 4, 1832, in Ohio. Mrs.
McC. is also a native of Pennsylvania, and the
daughter of Jacob and Mary E. (Davis) Anthony, natives
respectively of New Jersey and Ireland. Their
homestead circle was completed by the birth of seven
children, as follows: Jemima is at home; Elmina
married A. Gleason, and they live in Missouri; William
is a jeweler of Saline, Mo.; H. B. lives in Montgomery
County, Mo.; Mary S. and S. Q. are at home; Clara is
the wife of Jasper Grey, of this county. The family
residence is comfortable and convenient, and the barns
and out-buildings of the homestead denote thrift and
prosperity. Mr. McCarty is highly respected by all;
he has served as Township Clerk, and been otherwise
identified with public affairs. He is Democratic in
politics, and in all respects is considered a good
citizen and valued member of the community.

The son John W. McCarty is not listed here, probably
because he had died before it was written (1874).

There is an Ancestral File (AFN:BL93-89) which lists a
John McCarthy, b. abt. 1808, PA, married 4 Oct 1832 to
Catharine Anthony (AFN:232Q-V0), b. abt. 1812, PA,
dau. of Jacob Anthony (AFN:232Q-Q9) and Mary Ellen
Davis (AFN:232Q-RG). I believe this is the same
person.

John McCarty