McCARTY-L Archives

Archiver > McCARTY > 2006-01 > 1136674267

From: John McCarty <>
Subject: Re: McCarty migrations
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 14:51:07 -0800 (PST)

It appears that my last message was garbled, so I'll try again!
Cindy Williams wrote:
"Hi John ,
I have a John McCarty that was born in Washington County Pa. in 1834 . He moved
to Il. But died in 1919 in Washington County, Iowa , Kaloan . I'm at a brick wall
with him .But I'll look in Va . Thanks
cindy"

Cindy, I think your John McCarty descends from Silas McCarty of Bucks County. This
is not conclusive, but I'm willing to bet on it!

Here is my reasoning and my references:
" Listing of Inhabitants in 1781" Washington County, PA SWPGS 63-210, Compiled by
Shirley G.M. Iscrupe, lists these McCartys:
John McCarty in Smith twp
Paul McCarty in Bethlehem twp
McCart, John in Smith twp
McCarther, John in Bethlehem twp
McCartney, James Peters twp

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/washington/land/washland3.txt
Warrantees of Land for Washington County, Pennsylvania, 1733-1858, Part 2: Surnames
M-Q COUNTY OF WASHINGTON-1784 -583-
Acres. Date of Survey.
McCarty, John, 300 Feb. 13, 1786.
McCarty, John, Jr 50 May 7, 1818
McCarty, Benjamin, 4 June 14, 1847.

Beers, J. H. and Co., Commemorative Biographical Record of Washington County,
Pennsylvania (Chicago: J. H. Beers & Co., 1893), p. 988, says:
"THOMAS D. McCARTY, a leading business man of Midway, this county [Washington,
PA], was born May 3, 1858, in Mount Pleasant township. The earliest pioneer of the
family name in this county was one John McCarty, who settled in Robinson township
and reared a family of children, of whom Timothy was married to a daughter of Thomas
McConnell.
"John McCarty (a son of Timothy McCarty) was born, reared and educated in Mount
Pleasant township, this county. He attended school in a rude log cabin equipped with
all the usual primitive furnishings of the period, the greased paper which served as
window-panes being but a poor medium for the transmission of light. In early manhood
he was united in marriage with Jane Roseberry, who was born September 5, 1810,
daughter of Benjamin Roseberry, of Robinson township. The following children were
born to their union: Martha (wife of Russell Thompson, and mother of three sons and
five daughters); Timothy (deceased, a young physician who graduated at the
Philadelphia Medical College; he was married to Tillie George, who bore him one
daughter, Cora M.); Benjamin R. (living in Mount Pleasant township); James H.
(deceased, physician of Jefferson, Harrison Co., Ohio, and graduate of Philadelphia
Medical College); John S. (living in Midway, this county); Richard C. (drowned July
4, 1851); Elizabeth M., and Thomas D. (whose name opens this biography). Mr. McCarty
was an active member of the Democratic party, and in religious connection was a
member of the Raccoon Presbyterian Church from early youth, contributing liberally
to its support and serving many years as elder. He always followed farming and
stock-raising. He died January 19, 1886, and was laid to rest in the Raccoon
cemetery by the side of his wife; who had preceded him to the grave April 11, 1874.
"Thomas D. McCarty lived on the home farm during his boyhood, and attended the
common schools. He then entered the academy at McDonald, Penn., remaining there some
time, afterward spending some years at the Western Pennsylvania University. In
February, 1883, he opened a general hardware store at Midway, Penn., which he now
manages, and in 1888 purchased a half interest in his brother's (John S.) lumber
yard. In 1891 he bought an undertaking business of James Meloney, and conducts these
various enterprises with energetic vim and eminent success. On January 3, 1890, he
was united in marriage with Anna, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Stark, natives of
Scotland. One daughter and a son, Elvie L. and John T. have blessed their union.
Politically, Mr. McCarty is an energetic Democrat, and takes an active interest in
all progressive movements."

Boyd Crumrine, "History of Washington County, Pennsylvania with Biographical
Sketches of Many of Its Pioneers and Prominent Men" (Philadelphia: L. H. Leverts &
Co., 1882), p. 850ff, says:
"John McCarty emigrated to what is now Washington County about the year 1773. He
located on a tract of land at the head of Cherry Run Valley. The farm is now owned
by Robert Farrar. He was an energetic, hard-working pioneer, and in the course of a
few years had made an extensive improvement. It was not until Feb. 13, 1786, that
Mr. McCarty took out a warrant for his land, which was surveyed to him the 10th of
June the same year under the name of "Rhodes," and contained three hundred acres.
The first cabin was built a little east of where the dwelling-house of Mr. Farrar
now stands. He lived here all his days and died here. He had five sons, -Timothy,
John, James, Samuel, and Robert, and a daughter Cassia, who married William Elder,
and settled on the west part of Midway village. He died, and the property was sold
to J. M. Clark, Esq. She is now living at Butler, Pa."
(Transcribed by Susan Crayne of Morgantown, WV in August 1998. Published in August
1998 on the Washington County, PA USGenWeb pages at http://www.chartiers.com.)

Forrest, Earle Robert, "History of Washington County", Chicago, S. J. Clarke Pub.
Co., 1926, 2516 pp, page 516 says:
"MOUNT PLEASANT TOWNSHIP
On May 12 1806, Mount Pleasant was erected from parts of Cecil, Canton, Hopewell and
Smith townships, and in 1831 a slight addition was made to it from Chartiers. The
first settler of which we have a record in this section was Daniel McGugin, who came
there with his family in 1772, but was driven away by Indians, and returned in 1778.
In 1773, John McCarty went there, and during the years that followed others came
in."

Carrell, Ezra Patterson, "The descendants of James Carrell and Sarah Dungan, his
wife", Hatboro, Pa.: unknown, 1928, 732 pgs.,
p. 39 says;
""The McCarty Family was founded in Bucks County by Cornelius McCarty, of
Middletown, and Silas and Edward McCarty, of Haycock, all doubtless natives
of Ireland, and all born about or shortly prior to the year 1700. An effort
has been made to show that these three were brothers, and that they were
sons of one John McCarty, of Piscataway, New Jersey, who married 7 mo. 9,
1684, by New York marriage license to Ann Harman, of Woodbridge, New Jersey, but it
has not been successful, though it is probable that these three, with Dennis
McCarty, of Middletown, Monmouth County, New Jersey, and one or two other McCartys
of record at about the same date, were the children of John and Ann (Harman)
McCarty.
"The McCartys of New Jersey and Pennsylvania were doubtless descendants of the
Earls of Clan Carty, who were driven out of Ireland and dispossessed of their large
estates under King William of Orange in 1690....
"Children of Silas and Sarah (Carrell) McCarty:
2 Carrell, b 7-15-1723; m Tamar----
3 James, b 11-1-1725-26; m Sarah ----
4 Silas, b 4-16-1727
5 Benjamin, b 8-5-1731; d 10-27-1794; m Margaret Walton
6 Lydia, b 8-11-1733; m Daniel Pursell, of Nockamixon
7 Elizabeth, b 8-30-1735; m John Melvin, of Springfield
8 Hannah, b 10-6-1737
9 William, b 12-29-1739-40
10 Thomas, b 2-12-1741; d 10-9-1804; m Elizabeth Lancaster
11 Paul, b 2-29-1744; m Cassandra William, prior to 1780, dau. of John and Margaret
William, of New Britain, Bucks Co., Pa. He was taxed in Bethlehem Twp., Washington
Co., Pa., in 1781, for 100 acres of land and live stock. Their daughter Margaret is
mentioned in will of John William, dated Aug. 2, 1780. Cassandra was then deceased.

In the 1790 US census the only McCarty in Washington County was Jno. McCarty - no
twp listed.

In the 1800 US census there are four McCartys: John in Smith's Twp, John in
Washington, Paul in Washington, and Timothy in Smith's.

In 1810 there are ten McCartys: John in Cecil, John in Mt. Pleasant, my Joseph in
Morris, Margaret in Nottingham, Paul in West Bethlehem, Polly in Robinson, Samuel in
Hopewell, Samuel in West Bethlehem, Thomas in Mt. Pleasant, and Timothy in Mt.
Pleasant.

In 1820 There were six McCartys: Benjamin in West Bethlehem, David in West
Bethlehem, J. (John?) in Mt. Pleasant, S. (Samuel?) in Hopewell, Samuel in West
Bethlehem, and Thomas in Mt. Pleasant.

I believe that the John (1810) in Mt. Pleasant is the same as the John in 1790. The
Paul and Timothy (1800) are almost surely the Paul and Timothy s/o Silas. That
leaves only John (1810) in Cecil, who I believe is the father of my Joseph.

Of the six in 1820 two are new: Benjamin and David. I believe they probably descend
from Silas, although I have no proof.

I have more data which I will send in another letter.

John McCarty

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

This thread: