McCLURE-L Archives

Archiver > McCLURE > 2002-07 > 1025565975

From: edith n corley <>
Subject: Re: [McCLURE-L] MARY MCCLURE - Lincoln Co., NC
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:30:26 -0500

Jean,
I am researching a William McClure family from Bedford Co., Tn.,
whose parents were William McClure & Susan Elizabeth Clark. Susan was the
daughter of Anthony Clark & Mary Oates. Anthony & Mary had the following
children.........Mary, John, Robert, James, Susan Elizabeth, Anthony Jr.,
Margaret, Jane & Fannie.
Mary Oates parents were John Oates(John emigrated from Ireland in
1734)and Frances Reid. Their children were.............William Sr.,
Edward, John, Robert, James, Eleanore, Jane, Elizabeth & Mary.
The above Oates info. came from a McClure descendant who got it from
World Family Tree, V. 12.
Some notes on John Oates: John Oats, son of John Oats, married
Francis Reid in County Armagh, Ireland in 1731. They boarded a ship and
sailed to America in 1733-34 giving birth to their first child, William
Oats,on the voyage. They settled first in Lancaster Co., PA and then
moved to Cumberland Co, near Mercersberg. After the death of John and
Francis the family in total moved to what is now Gaston Co, NC. At that
time the family consisted of William Oats, now a widower with 4 children,
John Oats, a bachelor, John and Elizabeth Oats McClure and their 2 sons,
Anthony and Mary Clark and their dau., Walter and Eleanor Moore and their
dau. Shortly after their arrival in NC, William married Jean Sloan dau of
William Sloan (10 May 1781) and John married Mary (Henry)Blackwood, widow
of Joseph Blackwood.
If you would like to contact the above mentioned McClure descendant
her name is Dana Stubbs & her e-mail address is.................

Hope this helps,
Edith Ferrell Corley