McKINLEY-L Archives

Archiver > McKINLEY > 2001-07 > 0994978662

From: Bob McKinley <>
Subject: Re: [McKinley] John McKinley b. abt. 1790 PA
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:57:42 -0400

BOY, this is a strange one! 5 miles from my parents home in Fulton
(formerly Bedford) County Pennsylvania are the graves. of John McKINLEY (b.
1732 - d. 27 Aug 1819) and his wife GRIZZY or Grizzell (b. 1732 - d-30 Nov
1817) This is the Big Spring Cemetery, a few miles south of McConnellsburg,
PA. I have visited it several times. hoping John would give me some insight
to my own McKINLEY ancestry. The idea that two John McKINLEYS would marry
a Grizzle or Grizzel amazes me. What are the odds? According to his will
dated 11 JUL 1818, Fulton Co. PA John appears to have had 3 daughters,
Mary, Martha who married David HUNTER and moved to Mason Co. KY (and had
nine children, Nancy, John, David, James, William, Alexander, GRIZZELL,
Mary & Martha HUNTER), and Elizabeth who had daughters Mary McKINLEY,
GRIZZELL McKINLEY, Sally McKINLEY, Betsy McKINLEY. and Nancy McKINLEY.
Yes, their last names were McKINLEY in John's will. Now what are the
pissibilities? Elizabeth married another McKINLEY? There are not that
many of us now, and even less in the 1700s. Possible, but not probable. 2,
Elizabeth was his daughter -IN-LAW and he just referred to her as his
daughter in the will? I like that one. The 1800 Census for Ayr Township,
Bedford (now Fulton) Co. PA has John McKinley, males: 1 16-26, 1 45>;
females: 2 10-16, 2 16-26, 1 45> . So, there could be 3 daughters or the
15-26 year old male could be a son, not mentioned in the will for what ever
reason, and Elizabeth is his wife. The name Grizzell is haunting through
this family, and now, here is another John McKINLEY married to a Grizzel.
Any thoughts?

My own McKINLEY line comes to a brick wall with James McKINLEY who may or
may not be the brother to John, buried in Big Spring Cemetery in Fulton Co.
PA. John had a brother James who disappears in the early 1800's. My
ancestor James was married to Mary CLAAR of Bedford, Bedford Co. PA, about
30-40 miles from where John and Grizzly lived and are buried. James and
Mary Claar McKINLEY had 4 children according to the 1850 Bedford. County
Census: Mary McKinley 53-F, No husband listed. Lavina-23 F, Margaret-21 F,
Elliot-14 M, Samuel-26 M & 3 mo. old Male no name. All born in PA. That 3
month old male later got a name, William and is my g'g'grandfather. He
was the son of Margaret who later married Jonathan Brightbill and had 4
more children. Don't know if Margaret was the daughter or daughter-in-law
of James & Mary McKINLEY, nor do I know what happened to James. He appears
in the 1820 Bedford, Bedford Co, PA census, and that is the last we hear
from him.

Any leads on these James or John McKINLEY lines would be most appreciated.

Do James and Mary's sons Elliot and Samuel fit in with anyone?

Happy Trails,

Bob McKinley
Westmoreland City, PA 15692

Hope I didn't add anymore gasoline to the growing flame we have going here :)

At 05:40 PM 7/11/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Members
>
>I'm searching for the parents of John McKinley an any additional data on
John
>McKinley and his wife Grizzle Bretan. The following descendant chart is
what
>I've put together. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
>
>John McKinley b. abt. 1790 PA d. before 1830 Clermont Co., OH.
> m. Grizzle Bretan b. 3 Jan 1792 d. Oct 1852 Fulton
Co.,
>IL.
> Children: 1. John b. abt 1811 Clermont Co., OH.
> d. 21 Sep 1878 Fulton Co.,
IL.
> m. Elizabeth Ann
> Nancy