McWILLIAMS-L Archives

Archiver > McWILLIAMS > 2008-04 > 1208749847

From: "Robbie Schemenaur" <>
Subject: Re: [MCWILLIAMS] McWilliams spelling variations
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:50:47 -0700

Hello All:
I'm fairly new to the "rootsweb", so please bear with me if I commit a faux
pas. It was related to me that my McWilliams clan's USA origins began in
New England. At some point, however, it would seem there was a move to
Kentucky. You will see that I know very little about the family history of
the McWilliams side of my family tree. They were a fairly closed-mouth
group where that sort of information was concerned. Quite vociferous about
most everything else, though!

My great-grandfather, Velpoe Petty McWilliams (b. 05/31/1888/d.08/25/1973)
came from Wilmore, Kentucky, and married (date unknown) Lela Eugene Corman
(b. 06/26/1880) also from Wilmore, Kentucky. There were two or three
children from this union. I am unsure of the number because I've only known
of my grandfather, Audrey Oliver McWilliams (b. 07/07/1907 / d.08/25/1972)
born in Wilmington, Washington, and his sister, Marjorie (McWilliams) Tinder
(b. unknown). Within the last few years, though, there was mention of
another brother.

I can take the Corman's back to William E., married to Mattie, but I have no
dates or further information.

The Martin's: Helen Irene Martin was the daughter of William Green Martin
born in I believe) Senotobia, Mississippi, and Maud Ruth Thomson born in
Spring Creek, Arkansas.

That's it. End of data.

On one of my 5-generation charts, I've made a notation that the father of
Velpoe Petty (VP) may have come from Ohio or Indiana. I cannot now recall
why I noted that, but I must have felt it was a good lead at the time.

As long as you've got this much information, I might as well add that my
grandfather, Audrey Oliver, married Helen Irene Martin (b.08/11/1910
Conway,Faulkner,Arkansas)(date unknown) and they produced one child: James
Robert McWilliams (b. 01/28/1928 / d.07/29/1981). James R. was born in
Shawnee, Oklahoma. I know this is current history, and not really germane
to research, but we may be able to make some sort of connection through more
current history.