Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2000-04 > 0957132676

From: "Sue & Bobby Bates" <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] descendants of slaves
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 17:11:16 -0500

Linda wrote....
>There were severe penalties for any man who had sexual intercourse with a
female slave......Honor meant everything in the Old South and there were
ironclad
>rules of social behavior.<
I'm sorry, and I TRULY don't mean to be rude, but this is just too
ridiculous of a statement to let it pass.... 'Honor' in those days only
applied insofar as one's skin color and social standing. Sorry, but that's
just the way that it was.

>Thomas Jefferson had a Black slave mistress. Not a shred of truth in it,
but it makes a good story..... the DNA that was supposedly tested was NOT
Thomas
>Jeffersons.<
True about the DNA. It was from the descendant of one of Tom's
brothers, I believe, and the result was that there was enough similarity
there to say that the probability of one of the Jeffersons, including Tom,
being the father was a likelihood. There are also recorded statements about
a family resemblance between Tom and some of the 'slaves.'
Best,
SueB

This thread: