Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2000-12 > 0975894626

From: "Roger" <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] What can we agree on?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 20:50:26 -0500

I agree with Karlton. It's like having a basic church doctrine. "This is
what we generally believe." It is not limited to just that, but has room
for change. It is a general concensus of the group. Sure, theory and
opinion is welcome but should be submitted in a friendly manner for
consideration and friendly discussion. I don't think anyone has cornered
the market on being "The Melungeon Expert." It would be interesting to know
how the term "Melungeon" came about, but why beat it into the ground. It
seems as if it is almost an obsession for some people to try to prove where
and how the name "Melungeon" originated. We'll find out the fact someday.
I think we should concentrate on researching our own genealogy and share it
with the list in order to make comparisons from family to family. It is
interesting to see the common denominators that show up demographically. And
I don't mean endless posts about "Chocolate Gravy" or the meaning of
"Cairne". It gives us something to pass on to our new list researchers as
to what we basically believe in. Like Karlton suggests, let's agree on a
basic platform and use it as a basis for our being on this research list.

Roger