Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2001-01 > 0979921922

From: "Tari Adams - Manager - Northern Medical Systems" <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] Opinions, please
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 08:32:02 -0800

In fact- the term red skin comes from when early colonists were paid
for every "redskin" they brought in. It was open hunting season . They
would fill barrels and bring them in as they would animal hides-

Also, it is not that they are all dark, but have an olive cast to
their skin that will tan easily as they are exposed to the sun- they
needed a little more melanan than someone from say Denmark, just as
Africans needed more. NA will also vary according to where they were
located, I think it has to do with weather patterns and migration over
the millenia. For example, my family is of the Eastern nations, I now
live in Washington state on the east side and the Spokane and Colville
people look very different than my Cherokee ancestors, shorter with
some having a more oriental look. I have a wonderful old photo of
Chief Joseph and Doublehead and some of the warriors and they had the
same appearance.

Louise, do you not have Ison (m)? I need to find Alford Isom, thank
you.

Tari
"Yigaguu osaniyu adanvto nigohilvi nasquv utloyasdi nihi"
"May the Great Spirit's blessings always be with you"