Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2001-01 > 0980970694

Subject: Re: [Melungeon] Cherokee and SURNAMES
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:51:34 EST

wrote:

> A lot of you melungeons will find out that there is no cherokee in you
> > but some obscure native tribe out there.

Just a few days ago, a cousin sent me an e-mail in response to a question
regarding possible Native American ancestry. She wrote, "besides the Rodgers
family, one of the ancestors of the Laney girls was a Sarah Keziah, who seems
the be a Tuscarora Indian."

Our family thinks that possibly two Driggers men married Rodgers women, the
Rodgers family being (perhaps) Cherokee and/or Creek. Now, I am curious about
my distant ancestor Sarah Keziah. Can anyone tell me anything about Tuscarora
Indians? Has anyone ever heard the surname "KEZIAH" before?

I think all the family surnames I list below were first in Virginia and
migrated to either NC, SC, KY, GA (and Driggers in FL)

Kate in GA
Here is a list of many more surnames:
ALLEN, BATES, CATLETT, CLARKE, COCKE/COCK, CRAWFORD, CRENSHAW, DABNEY,
DELOACH, DRIGGERS, EGGLESTON, EZELL, FLEMING, FRANKLIN, GRIMES, HARRIS,
LANEY, MERCER, RODES, WALDEN, WALL, WINSTON

This thread: