Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2002-01 > 1011982153

From: "Ramona Gayle Bayes Woods" <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] Bolling
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:10:22 -0500

Hi Daniel,
I have many Bollings and Bowlings in my family lines.
I will begin with: Rachel Sturgill d/o Francis Sturgill and Delilah Mullins Sturgill of Wise Co. VA and Letcher Co. KY.
Rachel was born Aug. 2, 1862 in Letcher Co. KY; md.Joseph Bolling s/o Jessie Bolling and Louisa Shortt Bolling Oct. 10, 1878 Letcher Co. KY.
Joseph Bolling and Rachel Sturgill Bolling were parents of
11 children all born in Wise Co. VA.
1) Robert Bolling md. Laura D. Boggs
2) Laura Jane Bolling md. Caleb Sturgill s/o Moses Sturgill and Margaret Hampton.
3) Owen C. Bolling b. 5-12-1884 d. 7-18-1884.
4) Henry W. Bolling md. Viola Sturgill d/o Isaac Sturgill and Martha Ann Mullins.
5) Mary Lee Bolling b. 4-11-1888 d. 10-20-1889.
6) Jessee W. Bolling md. Lavina Sturgill d/o Isaac Sturgill and Martha Ann Mullins.
7) Louisa Bolling md. Ivory Hampton s/o Wilson Hampton and Rachel Sturgill.
8) Delilah Mae Bolling md. Patrick Sturgill s/o Silas Sturgill and Polly Bolling.
9) Pearl Evelyn Bolling md. Creed Bolling s/o William A. Bolling---Note: We can't find William A. Bolling's wife; but we are still looking.
10) Leah Bolling md. Ambrose Hampton. Ambrose is another brick wall in our research.
11) Clara E. Bolling md. Allen Sturgill s/o Silas Sturgill and Polly Bolling.
I have the dates of marriages for those listed above; if these are your lines; and most of the dates and places of death.
David I had never heard the word Melugeon until I read Mr. Kennedy's book. We had several "knappy-headed" babes in the family lines. That's what Granny called our very very curly headed Cousins.
Well I hope this info helps some. As you can see these lines are hard to research because of intermarrying within the family-"nothing wrong with that" so quote Seinfield. We are all here-or most of us from these lines.
Ramona