Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2002-04 > 1019892457

From: "karolyn hoover" <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] NICHOLS, BROWN, GRIFFIN, ROBERTSON, ROGERS, LAWSON, etc.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 01:51:32 -0600

Fiona writes:

> Following a request from Dan (who helps to make this by far the most
> interesting and entertaining list I'm on), here are some of the names I'm
> researching...
>
> On my husband's side (here in KY) - BOWLING, SIZEMORE, GIBSON, NICHOLS,
> HENSLEY, BROWN
> On my side (over in England and a darn site more difficult to find stuff
on
> than hubbies folks over here) - CURTIS, TAPPENDEN, BROOKS, UPTON, GRIFFIN
>
> Fiona

Hi Fiona,

Is your Griffin name Welsh? Is it a variation of Griffith, Gruffyd, ( ap
Griffith, ap Gruffyd?)
If so, we could be kin from way, way back.

Who are your hubby's Nichols and Brown ancestors?
I have a Susannah Nichols, b. abt 1740, believed to be daughter of William
Nichols of Bute (now Warren?) Co., NC. He named Susannah in his will in
1772, along w/ sibs, Julius, Keziah, William, George,Sarah, Mary and
Margaret. Susannah married Col. Charles Robertson of the Watauga settlement,
b. 1733, d. bef. 1798, son of Israel Robertson, 1698/70-1760, of Granville
Co., ND, and wife Sarah Williams, d. aft. 1760.
Israel Robertson was son of Nicholas Robertson and Sarah Marks.
Susannah Nichols and Charles Robertson had the following children:
Julius Caesar Robertson, m. Sarah Shelton
Keziah, m. Robert Sevier
William, m. Delilah Spann?
Charles
Susan, m. Felix Walker
Sarah, m. William Cox (or Coxe)
George, m. Susan Nelson
Rosamond, m. Russell Bean

I descend from Julius Caesar Robertson and Sarah Shelton, (daughter of Ralph
Shelton and Mary Daniel, dau. of William Daniel and Mary Moseley, dau. of
Marvel and Sarah Moseley of Middlesex Co., VA) whose daughter, Elizabeth, b.
abt 1771 in NC, d. 1825 in IL, married Bartlett Rogers, 1771, NC-1830, IL.
They were my ggg-grandparents. Bartlett is said to have served in the War of
1812. They left NC, lived for a while in Clay Co., KY, then moved on to IN
and to Morgan (Scott) Co.,IL. Some of the Rogers ended up in Hancock Co. TN,
along with some Lawsons. Bartlett's mother was ELIZABETH LAWSON, supposedly
of the FALLING RIVER LAWSONS, so far as anyone has been able to determine,
who married George Rogers.
Elizabeth Robertson's sister, Susannah, m. Zadock Spivey.

Twanda, are you out there? Do you know my Elizabeth Lawson?

My mother's mother, Ida Belle Brown of Iowa, came from Browns on both sides.
Her mother was Rebecca Brown, daughter of Sidner Brown, VA, and Jane
Hawkins, DE. Her father was Archibald Sidney Brown, son of Joseph Brown OH,
and Hester Eldridge, who died young in Ohio. Joseph married again two or
three times, (I've lost track!) and had children by all of his wives. He was
son of an Ulster-Irish weaver from Belfast, and one Eleanor Kelly, daughter
of Solomon Kelly of Iredell Co., NC.

Do you see any connections?

I've also been wanting to communicate with some of the Robertson
descendants. Someone, (was it Carol?) mentioned a James Robertson. I think
my Charles had two nephews named James;
1.) James Randolph Robertson, 1742-1814, son of John Robertson and Mary
Gower , m. Charlotte Reeves
2.) James "Horseshoe" Robertson, 1759-1838, son of David Robertson and
Frances ?.

These Robertsons had lots of children, and kept repeating names in several
different branches of all generations,
making it really hard to keep track of them all. But there has been a good
bit of research done. Not by me, but I've found a lot on the web that seems
reliable.

I have a number of Rogers & Brown cousins in Missouri & Iowa. Maybe some
Kelly as well.

Any more cousins out there?

Konnie

Surnames:

Paternal: Kruger, Buerkle, Grossman, Deutscher, Wilmersdorf, all
German-Russian from Ukraine.

Maternal: ROGERS, BROWN, CUNNINGHAM, DANIEL, ELDRIDGE, HACKETT, HAWKINS,
HUBBS?, KELLY, LAWSON, MARKS, MILLER, MITCHELL, MOSELEY, NICHOLS, PITCAIRN,
ROBERTSON, SHELTON, SHINN, WILLIAMS, all of VA, NC, KY, TN, GA, IN, OH, IL &
IA.

This thread: