Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2002-12 > 1041029610

From: "Ernest Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [Melungeon] I think I got it
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:53:34 -0500

Joanne

You may well be right. That was just an idea I had & thought I'd throw it
against the wall & see what, if anything, would stick. I always look for the
simplest solution to any problem & that is much simpler than many of the
exotic ideas I've heard. Even though they were referred to as "friendly
Indians", I'll bet if a "city slicker" called somebody a Melungeon in
Hancock County, 50 to 100 years ago, he would have had a fight on his hands.
Seems like it was a derogatory "label" until recently - that's why I thought
of "bad Indians" or "black Indians".

Regards

Ernie