Melungeon-L Archives

Archiver > Melungeon > 2003-03 > 1047315602

From: ann parker <>
Subject: [Melungeon] Hiding ancestry
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:00:06 -0800 (PST)

Hiding ancestry in the past was not a "racist" thing
as much as it was done to protect one's self and
family from those who would hurt them because of it.
If I lived in a time when horrible things were going
to happen to my children because my mother or father
was black I would say they were Indian or Black Dutch
or anything that would pass. It wouldn't be shame it
would be fear that made me do it. Ann

> Lady, in the few days I've been on this board I've
seen people being
> Black
> who historically claimed to be Indian. When a modern
Joe Blow implies
> were lying to hide Negro ancestry that is racist.

Do you Yahoo!?